Multi users in small block of flats

Radecx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish receiving from Astra 19.2E and Astra 28.2E, Fortec Star HD Passion+, Asus 6VM PC, Windows XP
My Location
Southern England
Guidance appreciated on what is possible:

Existing situation: block of seven flats fed analogue TV signal via loft aerial, loft amplifier and distribution box.

Proposed new digital system: Satellite dish feed for Freesat and Sky (not Sky+) and digital aerial for Freeview.

Can both satellite and Freeview feeds be fed via a new loft amplifier,
switches, and distribution box through existing internal cabling to existing users without need for further external cabling to each flat?

Have explored forum for answers but remain puzzled on technical basics.

Thanks.

Radecx

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes it is possible to feed terrestrial TV and a satellite TV IF to numerous properties via a multiswitch/multiswitches through a single cable to each household.

However, whether it would be possible through existing cabling is another matter. It would depend on the quality of the existing cabling. If it is ordinary low loss coax, that is only suitable for the lower frequency terrestrial signals, then it would most probably not be possible due to insufficient screening and exessive losses.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
you can feed 100's of flats if they are all feed from one smatv system.
how many boxes are you going to run??
3 or 4 boxes can be looped togeather and the output will feed the centralized amp.
lets sat one box bbc 1 one box bbc 2 another itv1 and another sky 1.
each box will have to be set up on a different channel.
leave 2 channel spacing.
first you need to see chat channels are free in your area.
example if a tv channel locally is uhf channel 21 another channel 30 another ch 40 another 50 you want to stay away from those channels
one box can be in this case on channel 23 another box 25 another 27 another 33 another 35 another 37.
problem is mains a power flop will make the boxes go to stand by.

a good computer ups 800 va may cost 150 euro and if you can get a global uk smc the smc will reset up to 5 sky boxes automaticlly.
you can set one for 101 bbc 1 one for 102 bbc 2 one for 103 itv1, one for 106 sky one and one for tv 5 105 if you want.
local channels as well as those you choose will be available at every outlet in the hole complex running of the same amp.
send me a personal message if you need more information.
been doing this for 21 years since the old analog days

ralph:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
ralphmagno said:
you can feed 100's of flats if they are all feed from one smatv system.
how many boxes are you going to run??
3 or 4 boxes can be looped togeather and the output will feed the centralized amp.
lets sat one box bbc 1 one box bbc 2 another itv1 and another sky 1.
each box will have to be set up on a different channel.
leave 2 channel spacing.
first you need to see chat channels are free in your area.
example if a tv channel locally is uhf channel 21 another channel 30 another ch 40 another 50 you want to stay away from those channels
one box can be in this case on channel 23 another box 25 another 27 another 33 another 35 another 37.
problem is mains a power flop will make the boxes go to stand by.

a good computer ups 800 va may cost 150 euro and if you can get a global uk smc the smc will reset up to 5 sky boxes automaticlly.
you can set one for 101 bbc 1 one for 102 bbc 2 one for 103 itv1, one for 106 sky one and one for tv 5 105 if you want.
local channels as well as those you choose will be available at every outlet in the hole complex running of the same amp.
send me a personal message if you need more information.
been doing this for 21 years since the old analog days

Think original poster was asking regarding distribution at I.F along with UHF.

Radecx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish receiving from Astra 19.2E and Astra 28.2E, Fortec Star HD Passion+, Asus 6VM PC, Windows XP
My Location
Southern England
Robbo,

Many thanks for speedy guidance. Existing cabling 20 years old - presumably not likely to be satisfactory for new usage carrying signals up to 20 metres from amplifier?

Ralph,

Thanks for your reply but not being that technical, I'm sorry, you lost me!

Radecx

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hi,
sorry i did not think the if was for as in if frequency.
sending the first if from the lnb through the older will not work.
there is no way to swich from horz to vert pol.
you need to send all 4 seperate pol. to a 8 output mulitswitch will.
the terestial tv can be sent the same way.these flat distrubution systems have sat and terest. inputs and will multiplex and the head end.
a seperate line will have to be run to each flat and a de-mutliplexer will have to be at the end to seperate the sat if with the terestial signal.

i dont think sky uk had SCR unicable lnb'swere all vert and hor transponders are all grouped togeather and can be sent down one line.