• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Multiple Lnb's or Motorised? Help?

roadrage

Regular Member
Messages
74
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax with Twin LNB's, Manhattan Starlight MX
Dragon Cam, Sly Dish, Freeview Reciever, Three TV's , Phillips Wireless TV Links, PS2, PC Laptop and hoping to grow.
My Location
West Midlands
#1
Hi,
Here is the situation. I am looking to buy a system for french channels and prem football (infact any football will do) i would also like the usual channels i.e bbc itv etc?As i will possibly be replacing my s*y setup i want to try getting as much channels as possible. I am thinking of a Triax TD78/88 either wall mounted or sitting on my garage (flat roof) and dreambox 7020 ( embedded dragon type Cam). I have already been advised by some on here that it will be a challenge to set it up, but hey Its Easter and i've got some time off soon. So back to my title topic, which will be better for my use?. Are motorised systems easier or more difficult? Also as i am new to all this, am i right in thinking that with motorised sytems you control it with a remote until you find the signal you are looking for?
Any help and opinions would be a bonus

Thanks in advance
 

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Messages
14,315
Likes
3,282
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
#3
roadrage said:
Hi,
Here is the situation. I am looking to buy a system for french channels and prem football (infact any football will do) i would also like the usual channels i.e bbc itv etc?As i will possibly be replacing my s*y setup i want to try getting as much channels as possible. I am thinking of a Triax TD78/88 either wall mounted or sitting on my garage (flat roof) and dreambox 7020 ( embedded dragon type Cam). I have already been advised by some on here that it will be a challenge to set it up, but hey Its Easter and i've got some time off soon. So back to my title topic, which will be better for my use?. Are motorised systems easier or more difficult? Also as i am new to all this, am i right in thinking that with motorised sytems you control it with a remote until you find the signal you are looking for?
Any help and opinions would be a bonus

Thanks in advance
There's a good tutorial on setting up motorised dishes in this forum -

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=5471

Doing it yourself is ultimately much more satisfying than having it done by an installer - there's plenty of people here to answer any questions you may have as you go along.

Llew
 

roadrage

Regular Member
Messages
74
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax with Twin LNB's, Manhattan Starlight MX
Dragon Cam, Sly Dish, Freeview Reciever, Three TV's , Phillips Wireless TV Links, PS2, PC Laptop and hoping to grow.
My Location
West Midlands
#4
Thanks chaps :) any more info would be much appreciated

ps will check out the link url for "how to's"
 

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Messages
5,145
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
#5
The Triax TD88 and Moteck SG2100A make an ideal pairing and will get you tons of stuff if you have a clear line of sight. A good site-survey (with a compass and your local figures to hand) combined with good planning when it comes to your dish mounting will pay dividends. Planning 80%, buying 10%, installing 10%.

Try to cut corners and the installation will take you until Good Friday.
2006!

Pro's and cons.

Cons : Motor is slower (to switch between satellites), noisier (but not at all bad), more expensive (than two/three cheap LNB's), requires DiSEqC 1.2 from your receiver and is slightly trickier to install correctly.

Pros : They are infinitely flexible and will get you anything your dish can pull in, are a lot more fun to play with if this is a hobby as well as a passtime and are good value for money, especialy if purchased from mainland Europe.

STICK
 

roadrage

Regular Member
Messages
74
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax with Twin LNB's, Manhattan Starlight MX
Dragon Cam, Sly Dish, Freeview Reciever, Three TV's , Phillips Wireless TV Links, PS2, PC Laptop and hoping to grow.
My Location
West Midlands
#6
BGonaSTICK said:
The Triax TD88 and Moteck SG2100A make an ideal pairing and will get you tons of stuff if you have a clear line of sight. A good site-survey (with a compass and your local figures to hand) combined with good planning when it comes to your dish mounting will pay dividends. Planning 80%, buying 10%, installing 10%.

Try to cut corners and the installation will take you until Good Friday.
2006!

Pro's and cons.

Cons : Motor is slower (to switch between satellites), noisier (but not at all bad), more expensive (than two/three cheap LNB's), requires DiSEqC 1.2 from your receiver and is slightly trickier to install correctly.

Pros : They are infinitely flexible and will get you anything your dish can pull in, are a lot more fun to play with if this is a hobby as well as a passtime and are good value for money, especialy if purchased from mainland Europe.

STICK
Thanks for the information, i am getting wiser by the day. I have a further question. You mention a "site-survey". I know what a compass is but what are my "local figures" ?. Sorry to sound stupid but your patience would be highly appreciated as i am as novice as they come, but the challenge exites me :).
 

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Messages
5,145
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
#7
Basically, the settings you will need to align your dish correctly are highly dependant on where you live.

You must have your exact Latitude and Longitude, and then plug them into an angle-finding utility to get the exact settings you require.

Either that, or faff about up a ladder forever and a day!

The best is also free, and can be had here :-

_http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink.htm

It's OK to be a noob. I was one yesterday, and will be again tomorrow. :)

Should also have said that you can get your Lat and Long by putting your postcode into streetmap.co.uk, and then finding the very small 'convert my coordinates' button.

STICK
 

roadrage

Regular Member
Messages
74
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax with Twin LNB's, Manhattan Starlight MX
Dragon Cam, Sly Dish, Freeview Reciever, Three TV's , Phillips Wireless TV Links, PS2, PC Laptop and hoping to grow.
My Location
West Midlands
#8
BGonaSTICK said:
Basically, the settings you will need to align your dish correctly are highly dependant on where you live.

You must have your exact Latitude and Longitude, and then plug them into an angle-finding utility to get the exact settings you require.

Either that, or faff about up a ladder forever and a day!

The best is also free, and can be had here :-

_http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink.htm

It's OK to be a noob. I was one yesterday, and will be again tomorrow. :)

Should also have said that you can get your Lat and Long by putting your postcode into streetmap.co.uk, and then finding the very small 'convert my coordinates' button.

STICK
Thaks for that valuable information. I will check out those URLs. And get back to you if i have any further questions. BTW What do you mean by an angle finding utility? Do you mean like a protractor or a signal finding tool :confused ?
Also below are my reults from the above site it all means gobldy goops to me aprt from the Lat and Long do i need any thing else?

OS X 387924 OS Y 298807 Nearest Post Code WV6 8AP Lat (WGS84) N52:35:13 ( 52.586931 ) Long (WGS84) W2:10:47 ( -2.179673 ) LR SO879988 mX -242640mY 6872992 M Actual : FFFC4C30_0068DFA0
Street : FFFC4CBC_0068DDB4
Road : FFFC5680_0068D3F0
Road64 : FFFD1200_00687E00
Road128: FFFE0C00_00678400


Regard a Noob!