Multiroom set up.

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu Duo2,1.2 CM,1224 H to H 57E-30W. Sky dish.
My Location
Cheshire
I'm about to move house and want to set up my system so I can watch it in two rooms. I dont mean at the same time, but I want to be able to switch between the two tvs.

My dreambox and motorised dish (single Inverto ultra) will be set up in the lounge. At the moment I have it set up with an HDMI extension (at the back of the TV) which I can unplug and swap between the two TV's. I have a very short extension so I'm not pluging/unpluging straight into the receiver and damaging the socket.

I understand I can switch channels with a pyramid, which is similar to what I'm using now, although mine is an old thing and very hit and miss.

I must be able to move the dish from the other room too.

Is there another way to set this up, I dont want anything too difficult but dont want to bodge it either :confused

Jase

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
You have quite a few different options available to you but before any suggestions are put forward do you want to view HD on the other TV as well as have infared control over the 800

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
digi247 said:
You have quite a few different options available to you but before any suggestions are put forward do you want to view HD on the other TV as well as have infared control over the 800

Yes and yes to both your questions.

I like the sound of options :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well if you are going to hardwire an HDMI cable to the second TV, you can use an ir over HDMI kit for remote control, plus use a 2 way HDMI splitter to avoid constant switching of cables.

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
rolfw said:
Well if you are going to hardwire an HDMI cable to the second TV, you can use an ir over HDMI kit for remote control, plus use a 2 way HDMI splitter to avoid constant switching of cables.

Hi Rolf, cant say I've heard of a "an ir over HDMI kit" are they commonly known as that?

I thought 2 way splitters worked as multiple inputs for one TV, rather than one in two out. Is the maximum 2 out on these splitters?

Have you used or set up the above, do they work OK?

Jase

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Typical price for a HDMI extender with IR capability is around £99 this uses 2 x Cat5/6 cable to extend your HDMI and IR over a typical up to 30m range, You will of course have to still acquire a HDMI splitter for the rear of the Sat receiver, Splitter for an active one around £30.

The cheaper option with no HD is the RF Modulator with Global TVlink+ and magic eye which will send picture and audio over RG6 but no HD in the other room typical cost of around £50

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Found one for less than £30 with a Google search. although not tried one at that price, depending on distance, ou may be able to get away with a standard HDMI cable, rather than using CAT5 or 6.

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
Wow, the costs start mounting up.

I know its a pain pluging and unpluging the HDMI @ the rear of the receiver on the main Tv. But would a Powermid and a HDMI extension not do the same job for a fraction of the cost.

Do the Powermids only allow channel changing or will they do everything, move the dish etc...

The TV's are a couple of meters apart through one wall (lounge to kitchen/dining room)

A signal in HD in the other room is a must.