Multiswitch supporting power pass for Sky return path?

Steve_W

Reaction score
Website
southerndigital.tv
My Satellite Setup
60cm on Astra 2 with TM 7100 HD, Triax 80cm dish motorised with Icecrypt S3700CHD looped into TM 5302HD, WDTV Live, Xbox360
My Location
Thanet, Kent, UK
I have a customer who has just moved into a new build.

It was prewired like a standard IRS as follows to lounge plus 8 points:

UHF aerial/DAB aerial/FM aerial triplexed into a single cable fed direct to multiswitch terrestrial input
60cm dish with quattro LNB fed to multiswitch
Single 0.63 sky plus standard shotgun cable fed to each socket (8 in total plus lounge)

My customer has requested that this be changed to allow the above, but to add an option of return path to feed magic eyes from the main sky plus point in the lounge.

Is there a product that combines a standard IRS multiswitch with a return path? I am familiar with the Global loftbox system which I have installed many times and is normally adequate, but my customer wants the flexibility of a sky plus feed plus the return path from the RF2 of the sky box in the front room going to all sockets, but without additional cabling. I think there is a 3rd cable from the lounge to the loft, but if not I can work out a way of adding a cable.

Only thing I can think of is adding an 8 way TV link distribution amp then either diplexing the outputs of the loftbox to the outputs of the multiswitch to the other sockets (all but the lounge), or return from the lounge into an 8 way global amp then using one cable to each socket for sky and one for the return. I suppose I could stack/destack where necessary using this method.

Any ideas??

Thanks all...

Steve_W

Reaction score
Website
southerndigital.tv
My Satellite Setup
60cm on Astra 2 with TM 7100 HD, Triax 80cm dish motorised with Icecrypt S3700CHD looped into TM 5302HD, WDTV Live, Xbox360
My Location
Thanet, Kent, UK
No takers??

I ended up just adding an 8 way global and restricting the functionality...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It may not exist. The whole point of a multiswitch is to deliver a satellite signal to each outlet. Therefore there isn't the percieved need for control of a main satellite receiver.

Having said that I seem to recall an I/R pass through device made for Distrubution Amplifiers that don't themselves have I/R pass through. Maybe one of these could be pressed into service but you would need one for each room that has an I/R sender in which would get very messy daisy-chaining them on the output side of the multiswitch that goes to the main sat receiver. And then there's the problem of a 9v supply to each of the magic eyes to contend with!

Paersonally I would see whether something like a PowerMid or other I/R remote sender could be used independantly.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Steve_W said:
Only thing I can think of is adding an 8 way TV link distribution amp then either diplexing the outputs of the loftbox to the outputs of the multiswitch to the other sockets (all but the lounge)....

That won't work, there is no power pass on the TV port of the outlet, only SAT.

Steve_W said:
...or return from the lounge into an 8 way global amp then using one cable to each socket for sky and one for the return. I suppose I could stack/destack where necessary using this method.

That ones okay, sounds like you have now done that.

Amazing, one gets a high end spec system and they want to downgrade. We see it all the time :D ;)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
there is something that will send a signal through the mains to control the loft box.
what the distance is i do not know.
it should be on the same power grid in the house and it will not jump from one power meter to another.
also you could run a small rf line from the eye to rf 2 and have the box power that and leave the system in tact.
this will conrtol one box only
ralph