Music Plagiarism - How Common is it?

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Heh, I gained interest for satellite tv to be able watch more and more music channels :)

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
The Verve didnt make a penny from Bittersweet Symphony. The Stones originally offered a 50/50 split which Ashcroft accepted but then demanded the lot as it soared up the charts, not to mention the Ad revenue since. The legal ruling was that 47 out of 48 tracks layed down were original , by The Verve 1 was deemed as being owned by The Stones. Mick and Keith got the lot.

Source _http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1702513/famous_acts_of_plagiarism_within_the_pg5.html?cat=17

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes as mentioned above, a strange ruling.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The music stings on THX trailers is almost identical to the intro on Countdown to Zero, a 1985 track by rock band Asia

THX trailers:

_http://www.thx.com/consumer/movies/8286511

Countdown to Zero:

_http://www.we7.com/track/Countdown-To-Zero?trackId=1437899&m=0

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
T_G said:
Of course one of the best known one was Chester Burnett AKA The Howling Wolf who made 2 successful claims against Led Zeppelin. One song was "Whole Lotta Love" and the other I am not sure.
Led Zeppelin did quite a bit of that, as did Bob Dylan.

Some more uncredited covers by Led Zeppelin.....
Code:
    * "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
* "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
* "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
* "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
* "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
* "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
* "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
* "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
* "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
* "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
* "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
* "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
* "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
* "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
* "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
* "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
As mentioned, its a grey area. Music has evolved by people taking parts of other peoples music/ideas and changing them a little.

The whole folk scene (Including Blues) from which rock, pop etc emerged, is based on this principle.

I'm sure Howling Wolf himself borrowed/stole a lot of his ideas from other Blues artists who were probably long dead when he took Zeppelin to court. Robert Johnson was probably one of the most indirectly copied musicians of his era/genre.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Wow the Zeppelins did do a lot of thieving. I agree that there is some sort of give and take, but when you use the lyrics of someone you got to give the credit. it is not just about the $$$, it's about giving the guy who wrote it the respect.

mikro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A bad one
My Location
Slo
How about this one: [video=youtube;41CIqYeFgFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41CIqYeFgFw[/video]
:confused

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Well, I'd never heard of either of them before but it is pretty amazing that they could, accidentally, be so similar.

mikro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A bad one
My Location
Slo
No accidents here for sure.
On the blog it says the musicians in the band of the composer probably new this song very well and may have performed it before.

The original song was very good known in Slovenia in those years, the Plagiat was a big hit later in the neighbouring Austria and Germany as well as several other countries ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
How about when composers take music they wrote and apply elements of their earlier work to a later and completely unrelated composition? One example of this is Star Trek's 2 and 3, the music written and composed by James Horner, and later Cocoon, again, same composer, but in the Cocoon theme and incidental music, you can here plenty of elements of Star Trek 2 & 3, would this be considered as plagiarism given how the music is used for a different purpose? :confused

Or am I just being a geek? :-ohmy

mikro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A bad one
My Location
Slo
It is also plagiarism, only it is not criminal. He can do that.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Parts of the Asia track Alibis

-http://www.we7.com/album/Asia/Phoenix?m=0

sound very much like the Lindisfarnes track Run for Home...

-http://www.we7.com/song/Lindisfarne/Run-For-Home?m=0

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Some clones in chronological order:

1. Beatles - "Something"
2. Alicia Bridges - "I love the nightlife"
3. VIA75 - "Somewhere"
4. Lenny Kravitz - "It aint over till it's over"
5. Ophelie Winter - "ce que je suis"
6. Christina Aquileira - "What a girl wants"