edbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Eygelshoven NL
nice installation:)

A

archive10

Now that it's been up for a fortnight or so, I needed to check if anything has settled (e.g. soil, sand, wood, mount screws), but I am happy to conclude that it's still same as it was when I fastened everything (phew).

Only thing is - still can't do ITV3 and +1 on 10906V. No amont of careful fiddling with skew or in-out position of LNB improved things beyond the original settings. Strangely, if you go by the numbers on the meter, the carrier-to-noise and MER is roughly the same on this transponder as on others, but the signal is clearly not as good when seen by the receiver (that's both the ProMax and the FoxSat).

I wonder if kitschcamp has similar experience, after all he has same dish and is roughly in the similar location (although different LN:cool:... :confused

But I can live with this. The signal is optimal now on the BBC transponder, and works fine for ITV[1|2]/Channel[4|5], that's good enough for us.

Chrisby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gilbertini 120 + Digiality Platinum 0.3 LNB + Fortec Star Passion HD for Astra 2D. Wave Frontier Gregorian 90 x 3 LNBs.
My Location
Mid Denmark
Hi

Congratulations on an excellent set up.

Odd you can't get ITV3 and +1.

All 2D channels solid as a rock, regardless of weather, here on W.Fyn.

We're using a 120cm Gilbertini dish with any reasonable LNB and Fortec Star Passion HD receiver.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Chrisby please fill your location in properly - we dont permit daft locations now - it causes too many problems when folks ask technical questions that could be affected by where they live.

(We ask you put your nearest big town or your county in the UK/western Europe, the country outside west Europe.)

As an admin I can see you are in Denmark from your IP address but that doesnt help normal members.

Chrisby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gilbertini 120 + Digiality Platinum 0.3 LNB + Fortec Star Passion HD for Astra 2D. Wave Frontier Gregorian 90 x 3 LNBs.
My Location
Mid Denmark
As you have used pressure treated lumber for your cross ties I would backfill with large (say 2") gravel to keep everything as dry as possible. I used 4"" x 4" pressure treated timber as a base for our greenhouse and it has all but rotted away inside ten years just resting on sand. You should probably use another layer of waterproofing over the construction before the gravel goes in. The big gravel don't migrate across the lawn when you are mowing and is easily removed if you want to check your construction.

Clever idea to use pre-cast, post anchors. My Gilbertini blew over in a typical Danish storm. Now its massive, cast iron, drawing board stand is held down with an ugly stack of concrete fence posts. Though it hasn't moved in years! :)

gilbertini.jpg

I may well borrow your anchor idea to get rid of my ugly, concrete posts. :-righton

A

archive10

Chrisby said:
Hi

Congratulations on an excellent set up.

Odd you can't get ITV3 and +1.

All 2D channels solid as a rock, regardless of weather, here on W.Fyn.

We're using a 120cm Gilbertini dish with any reasonable LNB and Fortec Star Passion HD receiver.

Still no ITV3. Not sure why this is different, but apparently it's just under the threshold... tried lots but to no avail...

A

archive10

Chrisby said:
As you have used pressure treated lumber for your cross ties I would backfill with large (say 2") gravel to keep everything as dry as possible. I used 4"" x 4" pressure treated timber as a base for our greenhouse and it has all but rotted away inside ten years just resting on sand. You should probably use another layer of waterproofing over the construction before the gravel goes in. The big gravel don't migrate across the lawn when you are mowing and is easily removed if you want to check your construction.

Clever idea to use pre-cast, post anchors. My Gilbertini blew over in a typical Danish storm. Now its massive, cast iron, drawing board stand is held down with an ugly stack of concrete fence posts. Though it hasn't moved in years! :)

View attachment 36033

I may well borrow your anchor idea to get rid of my ugly, concrete posts. :-righton

Thanks for the tip on the gravel - worth checking out. I have covered the pressured-treated lumber in plastic, so it would be obvious to cover it in pebbles or large-garin gravel as you say. Was even considering leveaing it as is with a wooden cover. Not sure yet, need to be aligned iwth SWMBO.

Re mount: Yes, I deliberately chose an mounting that should (fingers crossed) withstand the average Danish Storm. Time will tell. Re the option of using pre-cast pole-mounts: Putting up-to-ward a ton of concrete in the ground just seems so, well, massive. Hope this stuff works. At Least it is better than the sick Fortec-star mount - after the storm I had to pick up the debris from the corner of garden, and drive it to thejunk yard...

A

archive10

Cabling update (1/2) to this installation:

Late in the summer, I re-did the cables for the dish to provide a more discrete look and feel (no over-lawn cabling).

The duct for under-lawn placement is actually a water hose for garden-features; this felt much stronger than the normal cable conduits.

Tried to do as little damage as possible to the lawn - hence the digging up on three sides, and flipping the turf over on the fourth. For some reason, there was an enormous amounts of roots in the lawn, considering that there are not *that* many trees around. This meant that the trench is more shallow than I intended, but i figure it's deep enough to survive the average garden implement.

The cabling is now 4 x quad-shielded 25 meter cable.
I made the cable-loom first using cable-ties before dragging through the conduit. Of course it turned out that cables + cable ties didn't easily go through the hose. Had to trim the cable ties very neatly to get them through.
Put conduit in trench and covered up as well as I could, hoping the scars would not be too visible...

With the new cabling, I get slightly better strength and quality from all channels, clearly due to better cable quality (previous run was also 25 meter but only double shielded).

Attachments

• IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4732.JPG
    IMG_4732.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4733.JPG
    IMG_4733.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 200
A

archive10

Cabling update (2/2) to this installation:

...a couple of months later.

Quite pleased with the way you can't see the digging (even with the leaves removed!)

Cable running under roof overhang is temporary until we get the cables into the wall sometime next year.

Attachments

• IMG_5097.JPG
    IMG_5097.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_5095.JPG
    IMG_5095.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_5099.JPG
    IMG_5099.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_5093.JPG
    IMG_5093.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 175

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Very tidy!

What's that dish lying on the ground in the first picture?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Nice. We made is similar trench last summer in preparation for Christmas lights to save hanging a load of cable across the garden. It's amazing how quickly the grass grows back to normal.

A

archive10

Captain Jack said:
Very tidy!

thanks! (My wife thinks I'm overdoing it. But I want to be sure i keeps working for as long as 2D is there.)

Captain Jack said:
What's that dish lying on the ground in the first picture?

It's a Channel Master 180. (I like CM180s :))

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Do you get anything on 1N spotbeam? I kinda lost track after the threads became longer than War and Peace.

A

archive10

Captain Jack said:
Do you get anything on 1N spotbeam? I kinda lost track after the threads became longer than War and Peace.

Yes, so far I received everything I've tried. But like you, I lost track myself after a couple of pages seemed to be added each day... but I'll have a look at the thread agai too see if there are new challenging frequenices I could try.

jibali

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ok
My Location
oxford - england
hi can you help please, can you tell me the size of the ( 3 feed support arms )or feed rods for the 1.8m channel master dish. help would be appeciated thank you

A

archive10

jibali said:
hi can you help please, can you tell me the size of the ( 3 feed support arms )or feed rods for the 1.8m channel master dish. help would be appeciated thank you

Well, i'll be needing those measurements myself, but I thought I'd wait until spring.
We currently have -5 in the day and down to -15 at night, so it's not much fun being outdoors...
I'll try and see if I get a break to measure the arms for you during the next couple of days.

jibali

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ok
My Location
oxford - england
thank you for your help

A

archive10

Not knowing whether you are making your own mount or trying to replace the arms, I have made two different measurements; one is of the actual tubular arms, the other of the distance from reflector to front-of-lnb-holder.

Here are the measurements of the Channel Master Type 180 (Rx only) feed-arms on a -6 degree day, as well as can be done without taking the things apart:

The actual tubular arms

The CM180 has two side arms and a bottom arm.
The side arms are straight except for a flattened bit at the reflector end.
The flattened bit is bent at an angle compared to the arm.
The flattened bit has a hole in it accomodating a screw that attaches it to the reflector.
The end portion of the bottom arm is also bent, but not flattened.
The bottom arm fits into a plastic bracket, which in turn is screwed to the underside of the reflector.
(This is to allow cable to run through the actual tube).

The flattened bit of the side-arms are 70 mm, with the hole for attaching to the reflector 10 mm from the end.
The round part of the side arms as measured from where the 70 mm stops are 1470 mm long.
Both measures are taken in the middle of the (tubular) arm.

The bottom arm has a short leg and a long leg.
The short leg is about 95 mm measured from the back of the dish (and most likely shorter as the plastic bracket has a stop notch).
The long leg is about 1060 mm.

All three legs have welded pieces of metal with threading about 5 mm from the LNB holder end.
This is for the screws that attaches the LNB holder to the legs.

LNB distance

The distance from the front edge at the side of the reflector to the center of the front of the LNB holder is 1495 mm.
The distance from the front edge at the bottom of the reflector to the center of the front of the LNB holder is 1110 mm.

I hope this is usable / useful.