Advice Needed my future plans

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
hey, in the future im planning to get a motorized dish setup for christmas, i need to know some stuff so i can succeed in my plan

1. can the motorised dish be wall mounted like a sky dish or does it have to be pole mounted
2. since i can get astra 2 at the moment, will i be able to pick up other sats depending on my view south
3. which is my due south satellite from my location.
4. what receiver do you recommend.
5. will a 80cm do for my first motorized setup in the future?

A

Archive-8

Use an app called sat scope to "look" at the horizon that should give you a rough idea on the satellites you can "see" and it will also show you if you have any thing blocking a certain satellite.

The due south satellite is determined by your latitude example I am 2.3°w so my zenith satellite is 3°w.

If you can afford it try and get a decent 1 meter dish if you want to go feed hunting.

And good luck :)

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Use an app called sat scope to "look" at the horizon that should give you a rough idea on the satellites you can "see" and it will also show you if you have any thing blocking a certain satellite.

The due south satellite is determined by your latitude example I am 2.3°w so my zenith satellite is 3°w.

If you can afford it try and get a decent 1 meter dish if you want to go feed hunting.

And good luck :)
so for me it would be 53w right or i could just use thor 1w

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dishpointer and Satsig are useful resources, too. There are many others.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Hucknall is 53.0342° N, 1.2029° W so you would be 1.0°W as your zenith satellite.
so its thor right and also i used my postcode to get my lat and lon.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Dishpointer and Satsig are useful resources, too. There are many others.
yeah i used dishpointer to get the data for due south, also whats the best receiver for motorized dishes

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, the best receiver!

I'm a Yorkshireman, so I'd say a cheapie like an Openbox, but in reality it depends upon your interests.

Factors that contribute to personal preferences include stuff like how many Tuners you want, what recording features you want, whether you're happy with Now & Next (if any at all) programme info, whether a quick and effective Blind Scan is important etc etc etc .... It's a "how long is a piece of string" question!

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Ah, the best receiver!

I'm a Yorkshireman, so I'd say a cheapie like an Openbox, but in reality it depends upon your interests.

Factors that contribute to personal preferences include stuff like how many Tuners you want, what recording features you want, whether you're happy with Now & Next (if any at all) programme info, whether a quick and effective Blind Scan is important etc etc etc .... It's a "how long is a piece of string" question!
what about the humax foxsat because i heard that can support usals right or will a technomate be better?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have used my Foxsat in both DiSEqC and USALS modes with a motorised dish and, to be frank, it's not something I'd recommend for a relative beginner. I'd strongly advise you get a generic Satellite Receiver. I've never had a Technomate, but their reputation these days is not what it was and, again, there are several models available that'll have their own pros and cons.

In all seriousness, I do recommend something like an Openbox as they are cheap as chips, pretty effective for general use and will give you an insight, once you've used it for a while, into what else might better fulfil your specific interests as they develop.

A

Archive-8

You can get sat cards ranging from £30 to £200+ I use a tbs 6983 and a Dr HD D15 (Somerset) and a Technomate TM5302 (Sherborne)

My Sherborne setup is a mesh 88cm dish, with the slight sight of rain I lose quite a few "fringe" channels.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
I have used my Foxsat in both DiSEqC and USALS modes with a motorised dish and, to be frank, it's not something I'd recommend for a relative beginner. I'd strongly advise you get a generic Satellite Receiver. I've never had a Technomate, but their reputation these days is not what it was and, again, there are several models available that'll have their own pros and cons.

In all seriousness, I do recommend something like an Openbox as they are cheap as chips, pretty effective for general use and will give you an insight, once you've used it for a while, into what else might better fulfil your specific interests as they develop.
i dont mind a technomate as long as they have good tuners and blind scan

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
You can get sat cards ranging from £30 to £200+ I use a tbs 6983 and a Dr HD D15 (Somerset) and a Technomate TM5302 (Sherborne)

My Sherborne setup is a mesh 88cm dish, with the slight sight of rain I lose quite a few "fringe" channels.
dont really need cards as im only wanting the fta channels

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I will recommend a 100cm dish ground mounted on a scaffold pole about 8 feet long sunk in the ground by 3 feet using a fast setting cement,
Make sure the pole is dead vertical in 360 degrees with a spirit level,
This will enable you to track the arc accurately,

A Stab HH100 DiSEqC All Metal Satellite Dish Motor is ideal for this set up select USALS to control the motor as you only have to set up your Latitude & Longitude to control the motor,
A satellite arc 30 east to 30 west is a good starting point you can extend this later if you can see more of the satellite arc.

A TM5402HD M1 or M2 made in South Korea you can pick these up 2nd hand for £50 they have much better picture quality than the M3 version produced in China,

Attached is a guide to setting up a motorised dish if you need any more help then come back to this thread.

Attachments

• Setting up a Motorised Dish.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 6

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
I will recommend a 100cm dish ground mounted on a scaffold pole about 8 feet long sunk in the ground by 3 feet using a fast setting cement,
Make sure the pole is dead vertical in 360 degrees with a spirit level,
This will enable you to track the arc accurately,

A Stab HH100 DiSEqC All Metal Satellite Dish Motor is ideal for this set up select USALS to control the motor as you only have to set up your Latitude & Longitude to control the motor,
A satellite arc 30 east to 30 west is a good starting point you can extend this later if you can see more of the satellite arc.

A TM5402HD M1 or M2 you can pick these up 2nd hand for £50 they have much better picture quality than the M3 version produced in China,

Attached is a guide to setting up a motorised dish if you need any more help then come back to this thread.
it depends on my budgets so im going for the 80cm kit of the systemsat website.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
If you have to have a wall mounted dish, due to not having an open, South facing, garden, then you might try the Fracarro Penta 85cm dish.
I got one for my parents, and I was quite impressed, it is quite light and performs very well.
penta85big__59967_zoom.jpg

How much are you thinking of spending, on a receiver?
There are some good Linux based receivers that can not only handle satellite, but also Terrestrial/Cable, and run Kodi.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
If you have to have a wall mounted dish, due to not having an open, South facing, garden, then you might try the Fracarro Penta 85cm dish.
I got one for my parents, and I was quite impressed, it is quite light and performs very well.
View attachment 109289

How much are you thinking of spending, on a receiver?
There are some good Linux based receivers that can not only handle satellite, but also Terrestrial/Cable, and run Kodi.
well i checked the systemsat website promoted on this site and im going for the budge diy kit, 80cm listed there

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
The 97cm Technomate Motorised Satellite Dish + Motor + LNB & Fittings £119.95 is £6 cheaper than the 80cm set up on that site & much better for the FTA TV you desire.