Nanoxx alpha hd receiver hdmi problem

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
I am having a problem getting a HD picture on my SONY TV.On my Alpha receiver under TV system ,video out i have YUV with a left/right hand arrow.I am unable to change from YUV using my remote.Can someone please tell me what YUV stands for and what the other settings are.I assume that my problem is with the aforementioned setting.I have written to NANO but they seem to be very evasive and blame my TV.Can someone suggest a remedy in this matter.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Definition of YUV

_http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=YUV&i=55165,00.asp

It's also known as composite which is just about the lowest way that a colour picture can be transported.

Going up in the amount of detail that can be carried are S-Video (Y/C). RGB, Component (YPbPr) and then digital (HDMI and DVI). Component and digital can also carry HD pictures, whereas the others are limited to SD.

What type of cable are you using to connect the two devices together? You may not be able to change because the cable won't support it.

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
I am using a HDMI cable.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well in that case, why not cycle through the Sony TV sources using the TV Remote?

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
I have done that.
I still think the problem is that i cant move away from the YUV setting despite the facility being there.I am hoping that a forum member in Europe with an ALpha HD receiver will advise me.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The HDMI signal is not governed by the settings for RGB/YUV etc.

You may have a faulty HDMI cable. one possible fix is to reverse it.

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
My HDMI cable is OK.Must i now assume that it is a defective HDMI port?Being in Africa how do i resolve this problem?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Not necessarily. Can you try another HD source on the television ? (or the receiver on somebody elses TV, you don't have to have a dish connection to see the osg.)

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
I have tried all that.
Another source has told me that it could be a handshake problem ,ie i understand that the TV is not compatible with the sat receiver and needs a software update.The receiver was only launched a few months ago(NANOXX ALPHA HD) and with both TVs,Sony and Samsung being brand new, i assume that it is a possibility.I have suggested that to Nano but received no comment.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Usually with handshake problems you get nothing showing on the TV, this is something different I'm sure. The problem appears to be the receiver as the option to change the output resolution doesn't offer any other choices as I understand it.

What have you done to try to change the resolution? Have you tried the up/down arrows? The left/right arrows? Pressing the OK/enter button first? Can you see what I'm getting at here with trying all sorts?

Just in case there's a problem with the remote, are there any controls on the receiver irself?

Does the manual not give you any ideas on this? Or is useless or non-existent?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If you connect the two purely by a SCART lead, this should allow you the ability to toggle to your heart's content, and plug in the HDMI cable just to verify any of the options makes a diffrence.