Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Nasa names new spacecraft 'Orion'

US space agency Nasa has named its new manned exploration craft Orion.
The vehicle is being developed to take human space explorers back to the Moon and potentially then on to Mars.

It is hoped the name Orion could eventually mean as much for manned space exploration as Apollo did in the 1960s and 1970s.

Its first manned flight - to the International Space Station - will take place no later than 2014 and its first flight to the Moon no later than 2020.

"One of the things we get into at Nasa is we run around and call things by technical names and acronyms," project manager Skip Hatfield said. "This allows us to have an identity that we can use."

Orion is named after one of the brightest, most familiar and easily identifiable constellations of stars in the sky.

BBC News - full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5277736.stm

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hardly original, have they run out of names?

Conceived in the wake of Sputnik, Project Orion was a true vision of 50s engineering: a 40,000 ton, 40-person ship powered by hundreds of small atomic bombs, capable of much greater lift and efficiency than chemically driven rockets. Struggles between NASA, the military, Congress, and other parties doomed Orion and the dreams of the engineers to reach Saturn by 1970.