Nature pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Archive4

Possibly should be moved to off topic thread, to those who can.
Spent a lot of my youth at Hayling Island, one of the best sweet shops on the whole of the south coast!

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Morning Rainbow

DSC00723.JPG

DSC00728.JPG DSC00735.JPG

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Morning Sunshine.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have never seen an elephant fly but I sure have seen a dragon fly land on my budliah, very odd pattern on it's head as well
P1160549 (1014 x 760).jpg P1160553 (1014 x 760).jpg P1160559 (1536 x 1152).jpg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What fabulous pics ...... What Camera do you use?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
What fabulous pics ...... What Camera do you use?

Best of about 20 exposures TBH, on my 6 year old Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS1 with 12X optical zoom, it actually has a damaged front lens, a big chip out where a member of my family dropped it with the lens open and I have just been inside it again and cleaned the sensor array as it is one of the first Lumix models and did not have very good seals so dust gets sucked back in when closing the lens assembly and as we are going away in 10 days I wanted my photos to be as good as is possible with the damage it has sustained. I did purchase a replacement camera for it in July a Panasonic LUMIX TZ30 14.1MP Digital Camera - Black, in VGC however, when the guy was testing it prior to packing he found an artifact on the screen and would not send it to me as it was not in perfect working order, or so he said........., probably had it advertised in more than one place and got more money in the other if truth were known.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I was walking around today and almost got beaten by those guys. They already started to be nervous, so, I just took the picture and run away.

Attachments

• IMG_20160825_151051.jpg
    IMG_20160825_151051.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 27

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've killed loads of wasps down here. It's a summer ritual.

I invariably uncover anything up to half a dozen nests when we peel back the cover on the swimming pool. I blast the nests with insect spray and it's comforting to see how quickly the little swines drop to the floor. I reckon I was stung a couple of times during the process - about average I suppose.

I did make a mistake by not scraping the nests away as a week or so later some of the cells started opening as the eggs had matured into adult wasps. Didn't take me long to correct that mistake. At the cost of another sting of course.

All the wasps are normal ones. I don't think I've seen any of the large ones so far this year.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
The biggest wasp nest I have ever seen was 8ft by 6ft in our local Village Hall roof when I was rewiring it 40 years ago. It passed electricity board test with the comment it was a little over engineered - I had reused 3.5 cable for the fluorescent lighting as the cable had only been in for 2 years for old overhead electric heaters. I also rewired my parents house around the same time and that last year passed all tests (apart from new requirement to fit earths to light switch boxes - even plastic ones).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's different to a bee sting chemically*. Wasp sting venom is alkaline whilst bee sting venom is acidic. It's been a few years since we kept bees but I think that a bee sting is not quite as sharp to start with and lasts longer. Neither seem to last very long for me.

When we used to keep bees (honey bees that is) we were on the swarm control phone list. Quite often we were called out for wasps as the general populace can't tell the difference. They can't tell bumble bees apart either. But I digress. The largest wasp nest I ever dealt with was about 2ft tall and about a foot and a half in diameter. That was quite a monster to deal with and I earned my money that day.

*Wasp stings should be neutralised with a mild acid such as vinegar. Bee stings should be neutralised with bicarbonate of soda. Actually, I don't bother and the pain soon goes.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
What a beautiful morning! But, unfortunately...... it is not a Summer anymore :(

Attachments

• IMG_20160905_065413 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20160905_065413 (Custom).jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 17
A

Archive-8

Whilst walking the dog, I thought something was following me, turns out I was right.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I refer you to your CCTV Thread: It looks like the CIA are ahead of the game.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I *hate* wasps, especially if one of these f-ers flies inside. We had a wasp nest when I lived in London in the roof space of the flat I lived in and they kept finding their way in in the bathroom somewhere. Not great when you're trying to go for a whizz in the middle of the night in the dark and then hearing bzzzzz around you.

We never did manage to get rid of the since the only way to get into that part of roof space was through the er.... roof. The attic entrance in the communal hall seems to have been bricked off from that particular area.

I don't mind bees - my dad has a few bee hives, so I am used to them and they are nowhere near as nasty as wasps. I did get 'grazed' by a bumble bee the other week while cutting grass and it did sting for a bit but nothing bad. I say "grazed" because it didn't leave a sting.

A

Archive-8

I *hate* wasps, especially if one of these f-ers flies inside. We had a wasp nest when I lived in London in the roof space of the flat I lived in and they kept finding their way in in the bathroom somewhere. Not great when you're trying to go for a whizz in the middle of the night in the dark and then hearing bzzzzz around you.

We never did manage to get rid of the since the only way to get into that part of roof space was through the er.... roof. The attic entrance in the communal hall seems to have been bricked off from that particular area.

I don't mind bees - my dad has a few bee hives, so I am used to them and they are nowhere near as nasty as wasps. I did get 'grazed' by a bumble bee the other week while cutting grass and it did sting for a bit but nothing bad. I say "grazed" because it didn't leave a sting.

At our old house mum used to grow Passion flowers, all over the side of the house.

Every year another best would pop up.

It stopped being fun, when we had to pay the council to come out and "control" it, as the house was a council house.

Next door didn't like bees or wasps, so she put a complaint in about it.

Just as soon as one nest would come down, another would pop up.

At the time of moving her out from that house, we counted 5 nests in the Passion flower.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well, there are only two species in the UK, Common and Natterjack

Natterjack has a yellow stripe down the centre of the back, but yours doesn't ........

Status
Not open for further replies.