NDS soon under new ownership?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The buzz is that Cisco is well into final negotiations for a €3.8billion purchase of NDS from News Corp.

NDS provide content security for a host on international providers including; Kabel Deutschland, Get, Kabel BW, Sky Italia, Sky Deutschland and BSkyB, Comcast, DirecTV and Foxtel.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hmmm, Scientific Atlanta, Tandberg and now NDS.

Antitrust lawyers on all sides must be rubbing their hands at this news.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
oooooohhhhhh..............

I wonder if this will impact on Cisco`s relationship with Virgin Media? (as far as I`ve been told, Cisco provide all VM set top boxes and also have a lot to do with VM cable modems and most of the VM cable network is Cisco)

If Cisco do aquire NDS I bet VM will be kicking themselfs after the N3 roll out haha if only they`d have held out on the card swap for 12 more months they might have had NDS now lolol

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Strange, I thought Mr M liked to have control over everything that affected his business. Maybe he has a new company waiting in the wings.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
DishDick said:
Strange, I thought Mr M liked to have control over everything that affected his business. Maybe he has a new company waiting in the wings.

Who know what goes on behind closed doors, come to think of it perhaps it is best if we do not know

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
DishDick said:

Maybe the team realises their stuff in the field can be compromised, but offloading the red accounting figures of NDS onto another business would be a wholly good reason to get shot of it sooner rather than later.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
DishDick said:

Considering News Corp only hold 49% of the NDS shares that has never been true.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
davemurgtroyd said:
Considering News Corp only hold 49% of the NDS shares that has never been true.
If that's true then
rolfw said:
...€3.8billion purchase of NDS from News Corp...
would not get them control.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They may be buying from several parties, original news was speculation, but appears to be firming up _http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2012/03/15/cisco-confirms-nds-purchase-plan/

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
PaulR said:
If that's true thenwould not get them control.

From this page _http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/Post:c4dea18e-9b8f-428d-b8dc-0e1b390e01c8 and this page _http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000733516&fid=1725
Permira owns 51 per cent of NDS, which provides encryption and other forms of software to pay-TV companies, including BSkyB (the owner of Sky News). News Corp owns the remaining 49 per cent.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
According to the Guardian, both parties have agreed to sell to Cisco. h__p://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/16/news-corp-pemira-sell-nds?newsfeed=true.

Interesting article, especially the way the lawsuit with Canal + was resolved, I remember that being brought.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The timing seems significant as well, as NDS have just won $18m in damages from the Echostar case.

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
+ there is one video which was recorder on BBC Panorama about all cheats from News Corp. Future is really dark for News Corp lots of resignations dimissions.
Interesting is if this NDS is in correct hands.