need advice on moving sky box

damian43

Reaction score
Hi all ,
Just a little technical question , I have recently swapped my bedroom and living room around in my flat and have now got to try and move the sky box to the other room. Should I call sky and get them to move the box or can i just buy the correct cable and join it on to the existing cable , I need to extend it by about 25 meters. Will I lose any quality in the reception by doing this?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
$ly will charge you for doing this so try doing it yourself.

You will need good quality cable - CT100 or equivalent. You can tell it from the cheaper stuff because it has a double shield of copper braid and copper foil - the cheaper stuff uses an aluminium foil. You'll also need a couple of F plugs and a back-to-back connector to join the F plugs together at the old position.

Make sure that when you lay the new cable that you don't crush it or kink it. Should have no problem!

PaulR

damian43

Reaction score
Thanks Paul I will do it myself as sky already take enough of my hard earned £££'s , do you know if the quality of the signal will be affected by doing this?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As long as you use proper connectors (a barrel connector for f-plugs) it should be fine.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
Its simple go on ebay & buy a magic eye it costs 12 quid and comes with connectors and a new remote sly want 25 quid for it and its the same bit o kit, basically leave the box where it is and it will work idenpendantly in both rooms you need satellite cable 100 mtrs from wicks or bnq is about 22 quid u cant do it wrong just remember the inner and outer coax cant short.....