Newbie Here Need another HD receiver

Chris D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox V8S
My Location
London, UK
I used to be a Sky subscriber and had a deal for like 2 years, used to pay half of the whole package, I found that reasonable. That expired now and I've basically ditched Sky.

I've bought an Openbox V8S to get the FTA channels.

I am not happy with the box, the GUI (EPG UI) is outdated, the remote control is basic and feels cheap, etc.

Can you please advice me what HD receivers should I be looking at?

What's important to me is:

1. ability to pause/play, I don't know how is this called (not with USB sticks or other external storage devices)
2. graphical interface
3. better remote
4. ability to watch a channel and record another, I think the tuner needs to be 'twin'?

So I think what I need is a Twin Tunner HD Satellite Receiver?

Can anyone please recommend me a few boxes with a nice and quick EPG interface? Eventually skinnable?

I had a quick look and I am actively researching as we speak, and I found the VU+ Solo2 Twin Tuner HD to be an amazing box, any opinions?

A

archive10

If you just want the FTA channels on 28.2E (i.e. the Freesat channels), you can enjoy the Freesat EPG + DVR (which the pause/play/record thing is called) with one of the official Freesat-endorsed boxes.
Of them, the Humaxes are good. The others are fairly good to good.
I find none of them are at the UI speed I want, but there is little to do about this today. At least the ones there are seems reasonable in the UI.

Edit: You want one of the twin-tuner ones. And with the Humax, it will sometimes even record two programms and still let you watch another, depending on what programmes you're watching (if they're on the same multiplex).

Chris D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox V8S
My Location
London, UK
Thanks for your quick reply.

It was initially the FTA channels I wanted but my wife doesn't look too impressed as they're not HD. So I might be looking for more than that in the future, I was just hoping she would shut up if the EPG UI would be nicer! :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I used to be a Sky subscriber and had a deal for like 2 years, used to pay half of the whole package, I found that reasonable. That expired now and I've basically ditched Sky.

I've bought an Openbox V8S to get the FTA channels.

I am not happy with the box, the GUI (EPG UI) is outdated, the remote control is basic and feels cheap, etc.

Can you please advice me what HD receivers should I be looking at?

What's important to me is:

1. ability to pause/play, I don't know how is this called (not with USB sticks or other external storage devices)
2. graphical interface
3. better remote
4. ability to watch a channel and record another, I think the tuner needs to be 'twin'?

So I think what I need is a Twin Tunner HD Satellite Receiver?

Can anyone please recommend me a few boxes with a nice and quick EPG interface? Eventually skinnable?

I had a quick look and I am actively researching as we speak, and I found the VU+ Solo2 Twin Tuner HD to be an amazing box, any opinions?

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. If you want ease of setup and 7 day eopg then go for a twin tuner Freesat box.

If you are happy with enthusiast level boxes then go for one of the dual tuner Vu+ boxes. Ive got a Duo, and its a capable enough box (even though my own personal views on the software are unrepeatable!) You can fit an internal hard drive for the pvr functions easily enough to these boxes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders

It was initially the FTA channels I wanted but my wife doesn't look too impressed as they're not HD. So I might be looking for more than that in the future, I was just hoping she would shut up if the EPG UI would be nicer! :)

Plenty of UK FTA HD channels available to the correct receivers :D

If ease of use for the wife is important go for the Freesat PVR

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

All the BBC Channels are HD, but ITV2,3,4 are only available in HD with a Sky Sub.

Chris D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox V8S
My Location
London, UK
All the BBC Channels are HD, but ITV2,3,4 are only available in HD with a Sky Sub.

If I go back to Sky I'll have to use the Sky box I assume? Or are there any other receivers that will work with Sky cards?!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ahaha, what do you mean?! :)

Nothing dodgy - just referring to HD receivers :D

As ITV 2 3 4 in HD are pay channels then if your missus requires these to be honest your best & easiest bet is just to resub to Sky...

Chris D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox V8S
My Location
London, UK
Nothing dodgy - just referring to HD receivers :D

So a more expensive receiver will provide a better picture quality?! How's this Openbox v8 I have compared to others? Pretty crap I guess, since I paid £50 for it!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
There's nothing much wrong with the Openbox/Skybox/LibertView Receivers as far as picture quality is concerned. Indeed, I have two earlier models (F3) and cannot fault them.

But the fact remains that the supplementary ITV HD Channels (ie 2, 3, 4) are Encrypted , not FTA, so you cannot overcome that, with any non-BSkyB Receiver, without resorting to illegal techniques.