Need Help To Overcome Nasty Neighbour

jodevizes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Small sky dish and Packard Bell computer
My Location
Essex UK
Hi Guys,
I am not very technically minded so please bear with me. My neighbours trees have now grown such that when the wind blows I have to watch a DVD as the signal breaks up. I have a small Sky dish with I guess a normal set up.
He is being a b*st*rd and telling me he is not going to cut his trees. I know I can sue him and pay a lawyer lots of money, which I don't have, and that will take months.
Is there any way I can move the dish around to get a better signal ? There is also a larger dish from a previous tenant but I suppose that doesn't work or the Sky man would have used that.

Any help would be really appreciated. )(-red

Jo

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum jodevizes

Occasionally this problem does crop up, can I suggest you take a picture showing the dish and offending trees and then just the dish and mounting on the house. There may be a solution but a well taken picture often tells a thousand words.

I'll guess now that they are leylandii

_http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/61679.stm

A link to a victim support group

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A picture?

Does this cover it?

:-saw

:-rub

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
when your neighbour is out maybe pour some weedkiller or something at the bottom of the tree or even cut it so when the wind blows the tree comes down ?

i have similar problem luckly the trees don't block the signal but are a problem.

jodevizes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex UK
Thank you for swift responses.
Weed killer sounds good, but I heard he sued the neighbour to the left when he tried that trick. Tivu if I tried that I would get a large tree on my head and probably through my window. LOL It is difficult to take pics as it is lashing it down out side. If it stops whilst there is still light I will take the piccies.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
With Leylandii if there is a row of them you can effectively force them to cut them down if they are getting ridiculous. ( My neighbour had 7m ones, but not any more!:-rofl2) You don't need a lawyer, just follow the guidelines for applying the High Hedges legislation.

If that is not possible, you can go upwards, side ways or further away, or a combination of all three to get a signal. Usually some place can be found.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Assume there's no way you can raise the dish a tad or enough for a clear line of sight.
A picture would help.

Dave UK

Newbie Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ connected to Sky dish plus Technomate TM5400 CI+ connected to Penta 85 aluminium dish with TM-2300 motor & Invacom SNH-031 LNB.
My Location
Swindon UK
Try talking to your council, they can sometimes be very helpful in cases such as these.......honestly!

Nolia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Moterk 2100A motor on Cyfra+ 80cm dish,45'E-37.5W Technomate 6800 HD receiver(Normal).
Windows 7 and Linux.
My Location
Buckinghamshire(H.Wyc)
I have a problem too. My neighbors have a massive hedge. I cant pick up anything after 13'E on my rotating dish!! Now the Sky dish keeps breaking up signal. Sometimes I get some technical message saying fault with channel etc. I called sky today and they just didn't help. B***st*ds! They keep reminding me about bills going up...WHAT A NERVE!!

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Hammer some Copper into tree stump, trees will die in matter of weeks and will have to be
a. Either cut down(due to h & s)
b. Will fall down

I have this info from a reliable source;) I was going to use it on a tree in my very own back garden, but mysteriously it died before I got chance mwah haha ha

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jodevizes said:
I heard he sued the neighbour to the left when he tried that trick.

So whatever method you use, if the tree dies you are gonna get it in the neck from the miserable you know what, hence a different approach is needed

jodevizes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex UK
OK This is what it looks like. The trees and the dishes. My current one is the small one.

Not sure about the copper nails because I tried that to kill a nasty Sycamore and it didn't give a dam.

Attachments

• My dishes.jpg
    My dishes.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 157
  • The Trees.jpg
    The Trees.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 166

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nolia said:
I have a problem too. My neighbors have a massive hedge. I cant pick up anything after 13'E on my rotating dish!! Now the Sky dish keeps breaking up signal. Sometimes I get some technical message saying fault with channel etc. I called sky today and they just didn't help. B***st*ds! They keep reminding me about bills going up...WHAT A NERVE!!

Whilst I sympathise with your problem, it isn't through any fault of Sky's that your neighbour's hedge is causing it: What were you hoping/expecting that they would do?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
If you threatened to cancel Sky might agree to moving your dish, just under your guttering, above the bedroom window, looks a good place, but judging by the size of that hedge you could contact your local council and see if they can do anything.
Unfortunately that would probably lead to bad feeling, and future problems, with your neighbour, so it might be better, in the long run, to just move your dish and see if Sky will either waive the costs or give you a discount.
If not see what someone local will charge, they might be cheaper.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes I agree, the tree looks to be a bit away and doesn't seem enormoously high.

Your dishes on the other hand are 'fairly' low, so the problem doesn't appear to be insummountable.

Putting the dishes on the main wall, should solve the problem. Above the gutter on a cranked mast or T&Ks even
more so.

I don't think an independent installer would charge too much to do that for you, it is not a big job TBH.

jodevizes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex UK
Thanks for your input. Sadly which ever way you cut it it is going to cost me money. Sigh.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yup its going to cost you a few pounds - try to get the dish relocated to one side of the hedge ot you are going to end up with the same problem in a few years time if you just raise it. Remember the dish doesnt have to be on the house - due to trees here all my dishes are down the bottom of the garden. I use second hand fence posts banged well in - it works fine with the smaller dishes.

Also remember its not a particularly difficult job to install a dish so you could try DIY - you will get lots of help & advise here & will learn lots for if you have problems in the future.

Longstack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400
Fortecstar Diamond 5100
MR Cam
Opos card
Titanium Card
Fun Card
My Location
Wales UK
I see you have a disused 60cm dish next to the sky dish.
It might pay you to get a sat engineer in to use this one, it would give a much stronger signal. It would be very easy to set this dish up your self. You would have to rotate the dish to the same position as the sky dish and also you would have to change the inclination of the arm. This is lower it to about 27deg. Look at the sky dish next to it. The satellite you want is Astra2 at 28deg east. The other problem is you will have to change the LNB to a digital LNB. Any good Satellite supplyer would be able to supply one for a little as £18. To save the problem of running a new cable to the dish just disconect the sky dish cable and run it to the old dish.
Hope this works.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can you go to dishpointer.com and use it to map the line of sight, so that we can see where the trees are in relation to it?

Also, check how much of the trees are over on your side of the boundary, you have the legal right to cut off anything which overhangs. If there is quite a lot, advise your neighbour that you are going to trim off every last bit which overhangs your land, he may then change his mind about topping them.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
I vote for the Sky route also, although this is not their fault when the dish was fitted if the engineer had half a brain he would of thought, hmm that tree might block the signal when it blooms i will move the dish!