Need new dish for Hotbird which one ?

roost

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
silver crest sl65
My Location
Ireland
Hi . I live in Dublin.I have a silvercrest sl65 reciever that I bought in lidl. Its great. I use it for all the italian channels. The problem I have is the dish it came with is not the best. It keep moving of late. The bracket is not the best any more (never was anyway ) and the Dish is starting to rust.
Which dish and lmb should I go for ? Will a sky dish do.?
The tube bolted to the side of the house is fine. Just need new dish to go on .

Any help or advice please ?

rgds
The Roost

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Almost any dish will do for Hotbird - even a zone 1 (43cm) Sky dish.

For better rain fade protection a 60cm or 80cm dish would be preferable though. I use a scruffy old second hand 80cm dish as it was available and its a rare day I lose reception due to bad weather.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Another vote for a Sky Zone 2 for Dublin.

Cheap but effective and you might just about get the LNB skew correct within the range allowed by Sky LNBs.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Zone2 would be ideal for Hotbird given location.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Tivù said:
Another vote for a Sky Zone 2 for Dublin.

Cheap but effective and you might just about get the LNB skew correct within the range allowed by Sky LNBs.

Yeah I used a Zone 2 dish here just outside of Glasgow for Hotbird for long enough, the regional setting on the $ky LNB is "3" for here for Astra 28e but I found that setting it to "1" was needed to get the weaker transponders that were more skew specific when using such a "Small" dish (GEM TV & I think NSK channel are very weak on a $ky dish). I ended up taking down the supplied Thomson single LNB & subing it out with a £3 0.3dB Lidl LNB & adaptor clip, with this I could adjust the skew better & gained 7 to 8% more signal quality on the weaker transponders etc, this was more to do with the Lidl LNB being a better quality LNB than the Thomson rather than just the fact the skew was more adjustable.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tivù said:
you might just about get the LNB skew correct within the range allowed by Sky LNBs.
I don't know what the skew range for those minidishes is but... for Dublin skew for 28ºE (skew -15º) and 13ºE (skew -14º) is almost the same when you take the 7.5º antiskew of Astra satellites into account.