My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 600
PC
LAN PC-DB with crossed cable
PC connected via WLAN to DSL modem/router
Dreambox not connected to Internet
My Location
Germany
In another thread, you convinced me that my network is completely wrong, and I decided to review it from scratch.
My computer has a LAN connected with a twisted cable to the Dreambox, and a WLAN to the DSL modem/router.
The goal is to have PC access Dreambox for e.g. ftp, and Dreambox accessing Internet through the router.

Router
ip 192.168.2.1

WLAN PC
ip 192.168.2.10
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1

LAN PC
ip 192.168.2.11
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway (blank)

Dreambox
ip 192.168.2.12
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1

Question (1): is this correct?
Question (2): Should I enable "Internet connection sharing" on the WLAN?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The Dreambox configuration is correct if it is connected to a router with an IP address of 192.168.2.1

But you say:

My computer has a LAN connected with a twisted cable to the Dreambox, and a WLAN to the DSL modem/router.

which seems to contradict the Dreambox settings you've posted?

A typical setup is a PC connected to the router (ADSL router/ modem); Dreambox connected to the same router. All on the same IP range. End of story.

As you must have reasons for using two network cards I'll have to leave it to someone more network savvy than me to comment on your configuration.

Carlitto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 600
PC
LAN PC-DB with crossed cable
PC connected via WLAN to DSL modem/router
Dreambox not connected to Internet
My Location
Germany
mhku said:
The Dreambox configuration is correct if it is connected to a router with an IP address of 192.168.2.1

But you say:

which seems to contradict the Dreambox settings you've posted

Yes, the settings I have posted involve 2 subnets, this is what I have now.
But in the thread "Ping, but nothing else" you, Topper and compufunk seem to agree that I should put all of them into a single ip range; this is what I am planning to do, and I am trying to get help about this new configuration.
Therefore, for this topic, please ignore the configuration in my profile; if the change is successful, I will update the profile.

I am using 2 separate network cards (one LAN and one WLAN) because the router is far from the Dreambox, so I need a cable in a bad position, and because of performance in ftp and web access to Dreambox.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The IP addresses look fine but I've never configured a PC that has two network cards, which is why I mentioned a typical setup.

Am I right in thinking the Dreambox is connected to the PC using one network card (labelled as LAN), and the PC connects to the router using a 2nd network card (labelled WLAN)?

Unless ICS can be configured in a similar way to an Access Point (i.e. transparent) I think you'll need to set the gateway is the PC IP address (LAN IP address) and configure ICS on the PC.

Another option would be to use a switch- connect the Dreambox to the switch rather than the PC, and connect the switch to the router (and also connect the PC to the switch). A hub might do it as well.

I have a bit of a messy setup as well: laptop and Dreambox connected to a switch in my living room. I run a cable from the switch under the floor/ stairs to a router (ADSL router/ modem) upstairs and my PC connects to this router.

Hopefully we can help you get sorted with the minimum of confusion :)

Reaction score
Website
forum.heavenly-voices.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S with rotor and official Canal Digital Family package,
Asustek DVB-T for FTA terrestrial channels
My Location
Sweden
It would probably be easier to just create a bridge between your two PC NICs and put one IP on the bridge and make the IP in the DreamBox part of the same subnet. No messing around with routing and double layers of NAT that ICS introduce. Another more straight forward option would be to hook the DreamBox up directly to your router, assuming it has regular ethernet ports too.

I any case... you can't have 192.168.2 subnet on both PC interfaces. ICS does network address translation and needs different subnets.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
What you are saying completely ignores what you said in your earlier thread about the dreambox causing problems with your internet connection. Has this been resolved ?

The term 'subnet' means something completely different to what you are talking about. The only reason I mention this is because if you or anyone else reading this thread goes and looks up subnetting, they will be on the wrong track altogether. Subnetting is a different thing and beyond the scope of this thread and your problem.

All that aside.

1: Ideal situation would be to connect your dreambox and pc directly to your router/modem. It seems you cant do this, but if it is at all possible you should.

2: Given the above, I presume as Mhku suggests you have the dreambox wired to your PC/Laptop and the the PC/laptop connected to your router/modem/internet via wireless.

This is not a problem to set up, but you do need to use separate networks for this to work predictably. e.g. The wireless connection needs to be on 192.168.2.0 network and your wired side needs to be on a different network like 192.168.1.0 for the bridge to work correctly, as transpetaflops suggests.

If you use the same network on both interfaces, the computer wont know which one to check on when you want a perticular device. It may work sometimes and not others.

Please let us know what OS the PC is running.

If I have time tomorrow evening I will replicate your setup and show how it should work.

C :)

Reaction score
Website
forum.heavenly-voices.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S with rotor and official Canal Digital Family package,
Asustek DVB-T for FTA terrestrial channels
My Location
Sweden
Just to clarify this: Bridge mode is different from ICS mode. In bridge mode you need the SAME subnet on all involved components since the bridge doesn't do routing but just frame copying. Compufunk's subnet examples above are perfectly correct for ICS mode though.