Network problems with Dreambox 8000

jonnymaserati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 with Nabilo Black Hole, 2.0m motorised dish with DiSEqC controler and twin LNB.

Mac Mini with FireDTV S2 and Elgato EyeTV (currently not in use)

Sky+ HD box and subscription (currently not in use as card is in Dreambox).
My Location
Syria
seems that my dreambox is interferring with data transfer through my local switch... any suggestions as to a fix for this?

i have my dreambox connected to a modem via a 1Mb/s 8 port switch, with four other devices connected to the switch. since connecting up my dreambox to the switch i've been having intermittent problems with the devices connected to the switch becoming unaccessible over the network. the LEDs on the switch continue to flicker indicating active data, but i can't access any of the devices and they appear "offline".

the wifi devices i have connecting direct to the modem continue to work fine. eventually, i discovered that if i disconnect the dreambox from the switch, the other devices then re-appear and work fine. i have to reboot the dreambox to get it all working again properly?

i have assigned the dreambox a manual IP address (192.168.1.155) which is out of the range of assigned IPs from the modem. the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway assigned as the modem IP with 192.168.1.1. the DNS is set as per the modem and IP settings.

any ideas?

jonnymaserati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 with Nabilo Black Hole, 2.0m motorised dish with DiSEqC controler and twin LNB.

My Location
Syria
seems that my dreambox is interferring with data transfer through my local switch... any suggestions as to a fix for this?

i have my dreambox connected to a modem via a 1Mb/s 8 port switch, with four other devices connected to the switch. since connecting up my dreambox to the switch i've been having intermittent problems with the devices connected to the switch becoming unaccessible over the network. the LEDs on the switch continue to flicker indicating active data, but i can't access any of the devices and they appear "offline".

the wifi devices i have connecting direct to the modem continue to work fine. eventually, i discovered that if i disconnect the dreambox from the switch, the other devices then re-appear and work fine. i have to reboot the dreambox to get it all working again properly?

i have assigned the dreambox a manual IP address (192.168.1.155) which is out of the range of assigned IPs from the modem. the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway assigned as the modem IP with 192.168.1.1. the DNS is set as per the modem and IP settings.

any ideas?

TBL

Richard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 with Triax 1.2 m motorised dish
My Location
Belgium
If I understand you correctly, you have a switch feeding into a router and not a multiple connection to a router. I also had considerable problems getting my 8000 to connect to my router and eventually solved it by using a fixed IP address which means that you have to put in the correct DNS manually. If I then connected to the router via a switch, (Iwas running out of ports), the DM 8000 no longer connected properly to the Internet. To get it to work I had to use a direct connection into one of the router ports.

Richard

jonnymaserati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Syria
TBL said:
If I understand you correctly, you have a switch feeding into a router and not a multiple connection to a router. I also had considerable problems getting my 8000 to connect to my router and eventually solved it by using a fixed IP address which means that you have to put in the correct DNS manually. If I then connected to the router via a switch, (Iwas running out of ports), the DM 8000 no longer connected properly to the Internet. To get it to work I had to use a direct connection into one of the router ports.

Richard

hi richard

your summary is correct... dreambox>switch>router.

i already have a static IP address signed and this setup normally works ok, but i'm still having to occassionally restart the dreambox... although the problem seems to have stopped since i had to reflash my box when it crashed and then wouldn't reboot again. maybe it was a setup problem that has now been sorted?

don't know if it's related, but i'm now running cccam 2.1.3 whereas before i was running 2.1.2 with newcs?

regards...

jholmes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000
My Location
Norway
You don't by any chance have both ethernet and wifi enabled on your dreambox?
So you have 2 connections to your network.
I have several switches and routers in my network but I have never discovered any problems with that.

bravomike01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD with Enigma2 connected to LAN with cable.
My Location
Norway
I had the exact same problem until I discovered that I can do as follows:

1. Switch of the Dreambox.
2. Disconnect the LAN cable from the Dreambox. (if you use WLAN, disable it)
3. Make sure you network and all units are working properly.
4. Boot the Dreambox with LAN cable disconnected.
5. When the Dreambox is finished booting, connect the LAN cable.
6. Restart the network from the Dreambox menu (Main menu > Setup > System > Network > Integrated network > Restart network)

If you use WLAN, try to activate it from Main menu > Setup > System > Network > Integrated wireless
I don't use WLAN so I don't know if this method will work with WLAN, but with cabled network it works like a charm.
However, it's not supposed to be like this and I'd very much like to see a more permanent solution.