Network share and a DM500

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
Guys, if you have a 1tb drive connected to your router over a network cable, I guess it should first be possible to partition it with Linux and Windows. Is it then possible to save movies from the dm500 to it, and is it possible to stream movies from it back to the TV. I guess with the Windows partition you are stuck with just playing your music files on this partition from your PC.
Thanks

xavk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes:
Triax110 fixed to 5,9,13,16,19. Sky mini dish with Octo LNB. Triax88 on TM2200 rotor with quad LNB
Receivers:
Dm800 (5,9,13,16,19,28+rotor), TM500, TM600, DM500 (all 13,19,28+rotor)
My Location
East London
You don't actually partition a hard driver to be linux or windows, you format them using one of a number of options such as FAT32, NTFS or EXT3. Each of these formats tends to be associated with a particular operating system (NTFS with Windows, EXT3 with linux etc) but each can be "taught" to read the other. Additionally, when being accessed over a network, it is not the formatting that matters, but the network sharing protocol such as samba, nfs or cifs. As long as the client (ie the dreambox or the PC) can understand the protocal which the server (ie harddrive attached to the network), it should all be fine.

Short answer is yes, you can have a drive attached to the network which both your PC and dreambox can access. Streaming movies back to the dreambox depends on the format of the movie as the DM500 cannot deal with things like divx.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Thanks, have a dm800 with esata external drive for recording. No issue. But now I also have the dm500. Now there is no option to record on a dm500, so if i did put a network drive in place how can i teach the dreambox to
1/ record tv to network drive
2/ play recorded movies back to tv from network drive

xavk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes:
Triax110 fixed to 5,9,13,16,19. Sky mini dish with Octo LNB. Triax88 on TM2200 rotor with quad LNB
Receivers:
Dm800 (5,9,13,16,19,28+rotor), TM500, TM600, DM500 (all 13,19,28+rotor)
My Location
East London
fintannl said:
1/ record tv to network drive
You need to mount the network point in the DM. I've not tried it on a DM500 but details on how I did it on my DM800 can be found here:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dreambox800/166807-dm800-synology-nas-recording-timeshifting.html

fintannl said:
2/ play recorded movies back to tv from network drive

It depends on what the network point is. If its a PC then you can use VLC:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dreambox-guides-stickies-faqs/150922-guide-watch-avi-divx-xvid-your-dreambox-using-vlcf-video-lan-client-frontend.html

If its a NAS, you will most likely have to use the Media Player plugin which has limitations on the file formats it will play (ie no xvid) so you can either convert files before they go on the NAS or use a PC and VLC to transcode.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Thanks Xavk, from my own DM800 experience with external hard drive (eSata) I end up with .TS files on this hard disk. Now, while I have never had to think about it it is a simple matter to play back these files on my TV using my DM800. So if I had a hard drive that was network connected with an IP address of its own then as you say I can mount this on the DM500. This I can do. But how can I start a record session to it. There is no record button on the DM500 remote control. Also how can I view potential playback material on the network hard disk. Where the DM800 makes it really easy the DM500 is definitely more complicated in this matter

kalehrl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500+;
Echostar 770 (Strong 6155);
90cm Triax dish;
Strong DM2100 diseqc motor.
My Location
Serbia
If you have gemini (i'm not sure if it works on other images) you need to assign yellow button to DVR and then you start recording simply by pressing yellow followed by radio button. To end recording, press radio, followed by ok. Thats it.
To view material on hdd, press menu and go to file mode.