new boy on the block

dwadman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
philex free to air
My Location
yortkshire -england
Hi, i,m new to all this and have recently purchased a philex skyline free to air system, including dish lnb and receiver . After setting up my system and guessing where to point my dish, the missus indoors shouts we have a picture. going into setup i see numerous satellites. from astra to hotbird and others as well. But when i auto scan for programmes all i seem to get is nearly all he same programmes on each satellite and plenty repeated channels like bbc and itv. Why i purchased the system was to gain better channels than freeview boxes it seems worse or can i aim my dish in other areas to gain better satelites amd improved channel choice'
Cheer:-worships

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will only get channels from the satellite at which the dish is pointing, but as satellites share common frequencies, on scanning other satellites from the list, channels will be found, they are however only channels from the original satellite. :)

You can of course move the dish to find other satellites, but get yourself a cheap signal meter first, as you need to be able to move it back as well. :)

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
It seems that the OP is currently aligned to Astra 2 --- because of the mention of the BBC/ITV channels. If that is the case OP, you already have a result and have achieved the initial basic objective of getting extra channels to Freeview - though you may need to check that you are receiving the full compliment of channels available on Astra 2; Astra 2 is the satellite that has mainly UK channels. Generally a dish points to only one satellite at a time.

The other satellites listed e.g. Astra 1, Hotbird etc have channels from several countries, mostly not in English. They can be rewarding to explore for fun or as a hobby but, unless you wanna go down the latter route, they should be of no concern.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Of course, if you want to explore, without the hassle every time you want to move it, stick a motor on, for about £40 plus bracketry etc.

dwadman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
philex free to air
My Location
yortkshire -england
Hi, cheers 2 everybody have got myself a cheap sat finder will try to find other sats @the weekend. iam hoping to get canal+:confused

gunn1e

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky-HD
My Location
S.E. United Kingdom
Canal+ ? Good luck dude.

dwadman said:
Hi, cheers 2 everybody have got myself a cheap sat finder will try to find other sats @the weekend. iam hoping to get canal+:confused

dwadman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
philex free to air
My Location
yortkshire -england
Hi i,m new to all this last week i purchased my free to air setup - 60cm dish and box made by philex model skyline dsr4000. Set everything up and started to receive astra and other satellites in the setup page but upon scanning turned out they all showed the same programmes mostly loads of bbc1 bbc2 itv shopping channels chat line channels.
If this is all i can receive ,i,am very disappointed with the idea or would moving the dish to other areas to find different satellites help me .
cheers:-worship

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Merged this post with your original thread, your question has already been answered.