new combi meter advice needed

smartypants69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky plus laptop
My Location
eastbourne
im looking for a meter that does analogue/ digital and satellite am looking at the Horizon HD - STM Terrestrial and Satellite Meter but cant find any information as whether this can do analogue and rf systems. Please can you help me or give recommendations on others meters similar price
sorry bout joining this thread didnt know how to start my own

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Please ask your question once and once only then wait for an answer do not multipost across different forums

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
What sort of budget do you have in mind smartypants69 ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Doesn't say very much on the spec, I'm not too interested in analogue transmissions these days, my aim on every installation is to achieve digital reception.

May be an idea to contact the manufacturer direct perhaps.

smartypants69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky plus laptop
My Location
eastbourne
about 1000 pounds maybe a little more honestly any advice on the horizon or other models would be beneficial
hasnt gone fully digital down here so somethng that does analogue would be needed also comes in handy for rf playback systems

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I have a Satlook Combolook, does terrestial and satellite. Excellent value. Gives NIT info too, for station IDs. Price around £800.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The Emitor Combolook does not demodulate DVB-T signals so avoid that. In the region of 1000 pounds there are two meters that are going to be on sale in about 4 weeks. Emitor Combolook HD which demodulates DVB-T, DVB-S, and DVB-S2, but not MPEG4 pictures. Or the SatCatcher Combo which demodulates DVB-T and DVB-S signals. Both have spectrum analyser and the SatCatcher has full USALS motor control.

Or go with the Digiair-PRO from Emitor for DVB-T and either the SatCatcher Excel-TV for DVB-S or the Emitor Satlook Color HD for DVB-S & DVB-S2. This should save you a couple of hundred and have more or less the same functionality.

Completely avoid any meter you can't edit the transponder/channel list by hand on location. Some meters can only be updated by PC or even worse by getting a new channel/transponder file from the manufacturer.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
The Horizon HD - STM doesn't look a bad meter.

Promax spectrum range - Promax Prodig 3 although slightly over your budget.

Rover ST-2 have a good range of measurements but the spectrum trace can be a little disappointing. They also have a newer range available.

Best value for money - Combolook Color HD Emitor Spectrum by Emitor, well within your budget.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Huevos said:
The Emitor Combolook does not demodulate DVB-T signals so avoid that. In the region of 1000 pounds there are two meters that are going to be on sale in about 4 weeks. Emitor Combolook HD which demodulates DVB-T, DVB-S, and DVB-S2, but not MPEG4 pictures. Or the SatCatcher Combo which demodulates DVB-T and DVB-S signals. Both have spectrum analyser and the SatCatcher has full USALS motor control.

Or go with the Digiair-PRO from Emitor for DVB-T and either the SatCatcher Excel-TV for DVB-S or the Emitor Satlook Color HD for DVB-S & DVB-S2. This should save you a couple of hundred and have more or less the same functionality.

Completely avoid any meter you can't edit the transponder/channel list by hand on location. Some meters can only be updated by PC or even worse by getting a new channel/transponder file from the manufacturer.

Yes, it's true the Combolook doesn't demod DVB-T, I only need it for the spectrum analyser (2 - 2150MHz). After many years with a Metrix analogue analyser (top frequency 1750 MHz, extended with a Global TE4) at least I get a true frequency reading without having to use a calculator :-rofl2

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
satelliteman said:
Best value for money - Combolook Color HD Emitor Spectrum by Emitor, well within your budget.
It's not out yet. They told me at least four weeks to release. Price is more than 1200€ + VAT. I opted for the Satlook NIT Color HD and the Digiair-PRO instead of the combo as I didn't want to wait and it saved me quite a bit of money. When I get time I'll post a review. And maybe for the SatCatcher too which has become an indispensable friend to me.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Huevos said:
It's not out yet. They told me at least four weeks to release. Price is more than 1200€ + VAT. I opted for the Satlook NIT Color HD and the Digiair-PRO instead of the combo as I didn't want to wait and it saved me quite a bit of money. When I get time I'll post a review. And maybe for the SatCatcher too which has become an indispensable friend to me.

Okay not released yet but that's still good value for money.

Thanks for the update Huevos.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
smartypants69 said:
hasnt gone fully digital down here so somethng that does analogue would be needed
Any meter with spectrum display can be used for analogue, but I think what everyone here is getting at is that whatever you buy it needs to demodulate DVB-T otherwise your 1000€ investment is going to be consigned to the dustbin in the very near future (they've already switched off the analogue transmitters in this country). With DVB-T transmissions there are multiple transmitters on the same channel and just gunning for maximum signal isn't always the best thing which is way digital demodulation is essential.

smartypants69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky plus laptop
My Location
eastbourne
thanks for the advice guys does has anyone used the horizon meter?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
smartypants69 said:
thanks for the advice guys does has anyone used the horizon meter?
Not used it or tried it but going on the spec sheet there is no NIT or visualization. This means you will need to rely on transponder data and prior knowledge of spectrum fingerprints for satellite identification. Also no DVB-S2 so if a client is having a problem on a specific DVB-S2 transponder you won't be able to check it.

Is the device editable by hand on site?

smartypants69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky plus laptop
My Location
eastbourne
think i could just get by without a satellite tuner would like a dvb tuner though perhaps waiting fot the emitor combolook hd would be the best idea any final thoughts from anybody?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
If you don't need DVB-S/S2 just get an Emitor Digiair-Pro and you're all set. Works great for all terrestrial (analogue and DVB-T). It's got C/N, pre-BER, post-BER, MER, constellation and spectum. For the price it's amazing. For terrestrial, in my opinion (95% of my work is satellite), you don't really need much more except in about 1% of installs where there is some strange echo that a meter that costs several thousand more might save you a few minutes to suss out. Don't get me wrong, I would have got the combolook if it had been out already but I'm not even sure that will have that facility anyway. But anyway if I had bought the Combolook it would have been for its satellite functions rather than terrestrial.

smartypants69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky plus laptop
My Location
eastbourne
do you know the release date for the emitor combolook hd? any idea the best place to purchase online? or wholesaler?

just read some of the specifications say maximum input is 90db i assume anything above this can be attenuated on the meter

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Can be attenuated on the meter, but, when are you ever going to get anywhere near 90dBuV?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Launch levels can be in excess of 90dBuV on commercial systems.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
satelliteman said:
Launch levels can be in excess of 90dBuV on commercial systems.
I don't know what "launch levels" means. Does it mean when brand new transmitting from geostationary? I've had a check on the strongest analogue transponders on Astra 1 and they register 80dBuV using my 1.5m dish, so to reach 90dBuV would require a huge power increase (or a very big dish).