New dish to play with

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
align your dish to your closest due south satellite which is 0.8w for most people in the uk mainland... you are correct a fixed dish of the same make,size,lnb ect would beat the motorised one slightly as a motorised dish always has a slight compromise ive found. this is why if after fringe satellites/txp,s its better to max on a weak bird/txp at the small .db reduction of the strong birds as a txp thats coming in at 17db or whatever would be at 16.5/16db. i dont think any polar mount can track the geo arc 100% and a extra elevation jack or an aegis motor can help as you know. there are much more clever guys on here than me who could give you a much more detailed explanation of the why,s ect. as for choice of motor id go with a darkmotor personally over the tm2600 although you need the hands of a 5 year old to screw the f cons on lol although its not a concern at ground level really

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Thanks mick, I am not very good at explaining things,

I presume ????,

If I had two identical dishes and setups and one was motorised and the other not and doing a test on lets say a 57e T/P, fixed dish dish pointing directly at 57e, and the motorised setup at 1west then swung over the arc to 57e the fixed dish would get a better signal ??.

If the above is correct is it possible to main focus a motorised dish to any sat and maintain the arc, hope this is more clear (chasing week signals is what I am getting at mike from a motorised setup) :)

You wouldn't maintain the arc, but you wouldn't lose everything. You would probably have a reduced signal on the Western satellites, if maximized on 57E.
If trying that I would set the dish up on your due south satellite, which is the one nearest your longitude, then tweak it, as normal, by sending the dish to your furthest East satellite, then furthest West, and if not getting the best signal back to true south, adjust and the brackets, slightly, and test again.
Once you have it correctly aligned I would mark everything, so you can quickly adjust the dish back to tracking the arc, make a note of signal quality readings, on all available satellites, then send the dish to 57E and adjust it for the best signal.
Now you can test to see how much signal quality you've lost on other satellites, especially the Western ones.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thank you lads, if I am only going to gain a little bit I will just set it up as normal, I was thinking I might be able to gain a few DB on this new dish over the 1.2 at 53/52.5E and lower 30E, being more direct, but if I would only gain a little its not going to match the CM, thanks again:)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I've been out and picked a motor and bits up they only had a NH-210 so I went with that not sure if there any good,

I am going to have to adapt a lnb holder if I can to fit, this is the only bit I have and the hole is massive I will have to see what I can do.
DSCN5589.JPG DSCN5590.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Zip tie? The motor you picked up is OK. I set up a few of them and they seemed fine.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I've just modified a lnb holder it looks ok time will tell, just having a cuppa and I will line and cable up if the rain holds off. I have got to go and view a 1.8 tomorrow :-).
DSCN5591.JPG DSCN5592.JPG DSCN5593.JPG DSCN5594.JPG DSCN5595.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
A 1.8m! Nope ... not jealous...

Which one?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I don't know many fibre glass 1.8m dishes that aren't CM - Laminas maybe? Take pictures!

Az/El mount means it's a fixed one... so needs a polar mount as well.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I don't know many fibre glass 1.8m dishes that aren't CM - Laminas maybe? Take pictures!

Az/El mount means it's a fixed one... so needs a polar mount as well.
Thank you captain what would be a cheap price he want's £250 for it and says it was £750 new

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Do you think that, perhaps, you might find time to do some gardening ??

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Priorities Tivu....

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
£250 is a decent price for such a dish (assuming it is CM).. but doesn't hurt to haggle!

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Do you think that, perhaps, you might find time to do some gardening ??
Thanks captain, off course tivu once the 1.8 is in place, I can finish it off, the garden had 8 big trees in it when I moved in and it,s took me months to get it down to this and the inside was just as bad rome was not built in a day;) we have only been in 18 months:p

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
1West locked, just going to make up the cable loop for the motor and I will give her a test/tweak her up :).
DSCN5596.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks captain, off course tivu once the 1.8 is in place, I can finish it off, the garden had 8 big trees in it when I moved in and it,s took me months to get it down to this and the inside was just as bad rome was not built in a day;) we have only been in 18 months:p

Priorities... :p

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Martin, old bean, I've been meaning to ask for ages, but why do your screenshots always have the Satellites incorrectly labelled? Is the Edit button fubar'd?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I only use the sky box for scanning tivu, and I have to clear the TP list maybe 3 times a day if I am doing lots of scanning on a weekend, so I just choice the first option in the list 2.0E, no channels are kept in the box for long.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Aha. So the fog is not quite so tightly knitted after all!

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Its such a good scanning box but it gets full very quick, I have one stb to move the motor and store the channels I want on the 1.2 and the skybox is just a fun scanning box, I was just testing the new dish on it,

This picture is from the other box things should make sense here lol.
DSCN5598.JPG