Just Sharing This New feature arising from V6 update.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
A new feature is being rolled out to the V6.

If you press play while watching a recording you get the option to select Quick View, where playback is slightly faster than normal, enabling you to watch programmes in less time.

The pitch of the audio is amended so that any voices etc don't go really high.

Pressing play on my V6 (whilst a recording is playing) just brings up the red bar at the bottom that tells you how long the programme is & how far it's played up to.

Has anyone here received this update?

A

Archive-8

A new feature is being rolled out to the V6.

If you press play while watching a recording you get the option to select Quick View, where playback is slightly faster than normal, enabling you to watch programmes in less time.

The pitch of the audio is amended so that any voices etc don't go really high.

Pressing play on my V6 (whilst a recording is playing) just brings up the red bar at the bottom that tells you how long the programme is & how far it's played up to.

Has anyone here received this update?

Why would you want to watch TV at quicker than normal, imho seems a useless idea.

A

archive10

Why would you want to watch TV at quicker than normal, imho seems a useless idea.
Good question. It seems not-so-intuitive.

But we were actually considering a similar feature last year.
It was primarily intended to speed up binge-catch-up viewing.

We found several use cases:

1) If you're (I mean in general, not you Chris) watching 14 episodes of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills to free up space on your PVR, then wathcing it 10-15% sped up means you can get through it faster.
2) If you're watching the a multi-threaded reality show (eg Big Bruwer), then you can speed play through the stuff which is not so interesting, but still keep up with the announcements etc.
3) If you're watching very long things like Academy Awards, you can get to the good parts faster without missing the rest.

For most non-series-users (such as myself), it does not make any difference.

Implementation-wise it's not difficult, the normal player and chipset drivers support fractional playback up to 2x speed.
Trick-play FFWD is in fact most often implemented by just speeding up the data-stream being fed into the decoder.
Above that, the software start skipping I-frames in the video stream.

TIVO have the feature on their brand products in the States already, so it's perhaps not so surprising it's appeared at VM now.

Our product people decided not to prioritse this, they'd rather spend the effort on things like NetFlix... :)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Here's a demo from a US TiVo.
[/QUOTE]

I believe that this firmware update is called RC4).

A fix for the re-booting during Elementary and Modern Family is also being tested.

Maybe RC4 won't be pushed to the whole network until this fix is incorporated??

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Christ what a pointless addition. I despair of the modern generation sometimes.

Now maybe if they had an auto ad skip function that allowed you to jump ads a week or so after original transmission that might be useful. :D

A

archive10

Christ what a pointless addition. I despair of the modern generation sometimes.

Now maybe if they had an auto ad skip function that allowed you to jump ads a week or so after original transmission that might be useful. :D
But, indeed they do!
Tivo (US) has that very feature implemented, legally! Check tivo.com for more details.

In Europe, ad skipping in recorded material is also on the plate, but mostly in connection with ad-replacement, where up-to-date ads are inserted to replace stuff that is older than x days.
We're working on that concept too. Techincally is not rocket science (with a Hybrid box), its more about the commercials with the content providers (tv channels).

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Who do you work for st1?