Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
Good day everyone..

Wondering if someone can clear up some issues for me..

having spent about £250 in the last month on a Dreambox 500S, 90cm Dish, Motor, LNB and all the rest of it, I'm now preparing to go out and buy the meanest looking axe I can find, to smash the $**t out of it all..

I spent the last few days setting the dish up and everything, and eventually found astra2/eurobird1 at 28.2.

I'd initially just planned on using the dream box signal indicator to get the best position, but as I live alone and there was just me to trudge up and down the ladder all the time, I decided to get myself a sat finder from B&Q... within a few minutes, I had a more accurate target. Good oh!! NOT!!
I'm assuming sky is using this satellite (I googled it for accuracy, as I thought I was looking at astra 19.2 or astra 23.5 but when scanning on those, I was getting nothing, despite my meter telling me I was (and given that my skydish is about 1m away, they both seemed to be pointing in the same direction)
Anyway, when I then plug the new cable into the sky box to get a reference, I get no signal reading at all (dreambox is showing +60)
so 1st question, am I even looking at the right bird?? (it appears not, but I best check)
2nd question, when I do a transponder check on eurobird 1/astra 2a at 28.2, I'm getting about 80services (and only about 3 actually show anything, in italian..) the other transponders on this satellite are obviously carrying something, is it the same channels, or am I missing out on some by possible being set up incorrectly??

And the 3rd question, which is the main one really.. I bought a darkmotor, thinking this was a good purchase, metal gears and what not, but I cannot get it to move, (it will move manually if I press the buttons, so it is getting power) but refuses to do anything from the dream box.. I have since read that there are issues with motors on the dream box... have I just wasted the best part of £60 on that motor (and the way I'm feeling at the moment, £250 on everything I bought :confused )

I'm wondering if I'm best off just buying a technomate box, as it appears you can get a lot more results a lot simpler using something like that...

(BTW.. for info's sake, I live on merseyside, I believe the DM500 to be real, its running a gemini image, although I'll have to check which one, I am a newbie, which I have discovered is not the best box to buy, but my colleage sold me a much better description than it turns out.. although I am quite handy with computers so flashing and stuff isnt a prob to me...)

Any advice, or help in smashing the crap out of it all will be greatly recieved..

Rob (in case you can't gather, I'm not best pleased at the moment)

'O'-red

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Rob,

Just a quick reply as I'm sure more informed people will do in due course. It sounds as though your dish is pointing are 15° west of where it should be for Astra 2. I believe you are picking up Hotbird @ 13°E if you can see Italian channels. Look at the sticky guides at the top of the page for setting up your system, they helped me a lot. Good luck (and don't take an axe to a Dreambox, for Gawds sake!!)

Pete

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The Dreambox is not the best receiver for a beginner, but as you're good with computers you will soon get it working.
For now ignore the Dreambox and concentrate on getting your dish set up.
Where have you got the dish installed? Is it ground mounted or on the wall?
Is the pole vertical?
If you're trying to set up your dish on 28E why not connect it to your sky box and gently move the dish until you get a picture, I use an old B/W portable TV for this, feeding a coax cable from the receiver to the TV.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may be looking at Hotbird, but to line up a motorised system neither that nor Astra 28.2 are the ones to line up on, have you read the howtos in the stickies at the top of this section?

Do a scan using Hotbird as a satellite and see what it comes up with.

edit: too late.:)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
SonnetPete.. I just scanned telstar 15W got nothing, I then scanned hotbird at 13E and got some more channels, about 2 in italian, and a bunch in french, there was a load of MTV in there as well, but they were scrambled..
I would think that if I could pick up other satellites, that they would be ones very close to the 28.2 I had picked up on, but everyhting close by got me nothing... How can I therefore pick up on 13e which is much further away?

Micka.. Its on the wall above my kitchen roof (kitchen sticks out of the back of house, its not a flat roof, so installation hasnt been great), the dish bracket would not fit round the darkmotor.. well, the u-bolts wouldn't, and after not finding any that would, the set I did use required modifying along with the bracket... so there is a chance it doesnt fit as best as it possibly could.. I have tried my best though, it does seem straight... but maybe this is part of my problem..

Rolfw.. I had done a lot of reading regarding lining up, and it was all very confusing.. (my motors manual confused me even more).. all the different angles, and the 37 different names for them.. in the end I chose the one I thought my sky was pointing at (as i could back up the signal strength on the sky box, and also it was good reference for direction being close by..) all i found out about pointing was that choose one close to you.. I didnt find anything about using a particular one for correct arc..

The main issue though is getting the motor to move, becasue if it doesnt, there seems no point in lining it all up and making sure everything else is correct..
(and thats why I'm thinking of a differnt box???)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
One other thing pete..

You think its pointing at 15W, picking up hotbird at 13E (and according to the compass, its about 20degrees from south...

How confusing is this???

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Forget the directions. You need to identify which satellite you have found.

Give us 3 or 4 channels and we should be able to identify where you are pointing.

A nonymous

Reaction score
The problem lies with the Dreambox 500s. It was never a good receiver for controlling a motor due to just a plain lack of power )(-red

I had similar problems with an Eaglebox 500s (A DM500 clone)

I even tried to uprate the pathetic 1.5a power supply that came with it for a 3a one and even that made little difference :mad:

If i remember rightly i think it was Nabilosat V0.8 that worked the best on it for the motor, but even that was pretty dire at the best of times :confused

Try to google Eaglebox & Motor and you should find your answers to the 500s

:-beer

Nano

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I_Just_want_to_know said:
You think its pointing at 15W, picking up hotbird at 13E (and according to the compass, its about 20degrees from south...

How confusing is this???
IJWTK,
What sonnetpete meant was that you were probably pointing 15° too far west of 28°E, which would leave you pointed at hotbird 13°E.

Hang in there, you'll get there in the end :)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
Thanks for the speedy responses so far fella's...
While tea was cooking, I got up on the roof again, meter in tow, and aimed it for thor1 at 0.8w.. Man, how easy is it to overshoot , appears after finding nothing on a thor1 search, that I get my best return yet on atlanticbird 4 (7w)
channels I have are.. ANB, Arriada, AZTV, CCTV9, Edusat, RTR, Salute to name a few..

I'll check out the eagle box searches.. but i'm guessing I'm going to be spending more... yes?

Out of curiosity, I bought a vision multiswitch off tbay with the view of sending the four lnb feeds to a disqec switch, plus the two feeds from sky, and having them available to upto 10 outputs (I actually only need 3 at present), but thought powered multiswitches could feed power back to the LNB (via the motor) thus giving the motor enough juice..
I connected the switch up before (when i couldnt get the motor moving, and it still didnt move, and even when I put the metre in line as well, noticed a bit of signal loss... more than I expected).. the multiswitch didnt cost me that much as it happens, but I thought it was worth a go.. seems not to be the case though.

Rob

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
My advice would be start off with a basic satellite receiver first, something like a Technomate 3000/5000 series for example (can always pass it on after).

Set up the dish following the guides. You may need to read them over a few times. There are plenty here who can help and guide you through the installation process.

For a motor install, you'll need to start with setting up the dish due South (most likely 1W).

Re: the multiswitch, for two satellites, you need a 9 input switch.

SM

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hi, there. My first receiver was a 500(clone) and all you need m8 is a methodical approach. Your is probably not moving as you may not have set the dreambox up to move it. Have a look at this video on gow to set the motor up correct.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_yhxmGlEA&feature=related

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
Thanks tom...

I have more or less done all that...

Tomorrow I shall drag the dish down, take the motor off.. double check how straight everything is..

I'll put the motor on again and see if that makes much difference...

I'll then do my best with the dish....

Somethinf I'll also try is setting the motor to the box on a very short lead out of the bedroom window, it currently has something like 20m of cable running to the front room... and reading other posts, it seems that this could play a part.. (its at this point I wish the switch would power the line too, but unfortunatley not)...
I'll be pi55ed off if it works on a short cable... as that means I'll then have to set it up on the TV in the back room, and thats not why I bought it all... are there no sort of cable amplifiers that might work in this situation, some way of remote/additional power?

Also.. What is the ideal satellite I want to point at to set things up on?(I can see compass south fairly well)...

I'm surrently setup to some dish, but god knows what, I'm just scanning one by one at the moment, scanned about 15 sats, got nothing so far :eek:

Rob

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Also.. What is the ideal satellite I want to point at to set things up on?(I can see compass south fairly well)...

Rob

What's your longitude Rob?
multimap or dishpointer.com will tell you.

bob-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+s-t
Raven gemini 70 ,13e,19e,28e
85cm Transparent dish Moteck SG2100 and inverto black ultra lnb.
My Location
UK,Sheffield
I would use dish pointer ,it even gives you Dish Setup Data for different motors.
I have just set my motor up tonight for the first time and didn't take no more than a couple of minutes.
I must agree with the others though the output on the 500 is poor ,mine even struggled with switches, never used one on a motor though.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
lat 53.43 lon -3.01

So I'm wondering whats the benefit of having something like this (dreambox) if I cant have a motor to point it where I want??

What other options do I have..?? Flog the dreambox and get something else??

Rob..

(as I say, I'll try it all again tomorrow on a 4-5m cable instead of a 20m one)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Use either Atlantic Bird 3 @ 5W or Thor 1W.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
thanks sm... i'll have a go at that tomorrow...

one last thought for the evening..

Whhen I rotate the dish quite a bit to the east (thats one I tried usuilng the manual contril on the motor) the dish "twists" is the best way I can describe it...

Instead of swinging round so that everything seems at the same angle it was (I mean arm and LN:cool: the rotated sideways with the dish a bit, so that the LNB was now at a totally differnt angle.. does this seem right..??
I was thinking aboout how the motor moved, and I cant think of a way how it would therefore stay straight?
I can take some pics tomorrow if I havent explained it well..

thanks for your help again... no doubt I will be continuing the story tomorrow...

Rob

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
The dish mounted to the motor is designed to do that as it follows the satellites across the arc from horizon to horizon :D

Start off making sure bracket/pole are plumb and follow the guides. You'll need to get your receiver to motorise to one of the satellites mentioned above (using USALS) then you manually align the dish.

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
(BTW.. for info's sake, I live on merseyside, I believe the DM500 to be real, its running a gemini image, although I'll have to check which one, I am a newbie, which I have discovered is not the best box to buy, but my colleage sold me a much better description than it turns out.. although I am quite handy with computers so flashing and stuff isnt a prob to me...)

Any advice, or help in smashing the crap out of it all will be greatly recieved..
You said you got the 500 about a month ago, well if its a new purchase then its 99.99% likely to be a clone so I would take Gemini off it pretty sharpish. On the flip side my 500 clone drives my motor no problem, my father in laws genuine box was a lot more trouble.