New HD System - Cuberevo Twin tuner

FatController

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Trying to decide what to buy!
My Location
East Devon, UK
I am new to satellite systems and posted a question to get some ideas for a new HD system. After doing much research and reading this and other forums I believe the Cuberevo offers the best solution for the money. Can you let me know your experiences if you own one - ease of set-up, ease of use, and support to get the most from them?

Many thanks, FatController

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure if I can be much help, as I only have the 3000 HD, single tuner, but it certainly performs well, aside from the odd lockup occasionally.

The images are starting to appear more regularly and are easy to load, running NLB-11102-v1.51 image at the moment, looks pretty good and comes with pretty much all you need.:)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi FC ...
I have the IP9000HD which is of course the same box ..
I have had mine a while now ...and I lurrrv it.
The origional DGstation firmwares are more than adequate for anyone just wanting to watch TV ..
Good support and regular upgrades.
Picture and sound quality is excellent ...and the dual tuner system is impressive and useful.
You can of course swap 1 or both of the DVBS2 (usually fitted as standard) tuners out for DVBT and/or DVBC.
The origional DGstation firmwares will happily support 2x motorised dishes ....or 1 motorised and 1 fixed etc
The firmwares are linux based so plenty of knowledgeable amateur programmers and enthusiasts working on the code etc..
..which has led to recent transportation of Enigma2 core and images for the box...making this an excellent 'geeks' box as well as just an attractive unit for under the TV
Firmwares are easily updated via USB port ...and Satlists and Settings can be easily exporrted - modified - and imported by the Network connection..
It is also possible to record to an internal hard drive if fitted ...and the network connection also allows media files to be exported by ftp or cifs mount.
This also makes it possible to use the box as a media player if required.

Firmwares can also be mounted and tested from the internal hard drive or usb pen drive ..with the correct bootloader installed.
All in all..
A very attractive and highly functional HD set top box ..for simply watching TV ...or experimentation for the more adventurous enthusiast.
rgds
VS

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
..Just thought I'd Add ..
that I have mine fitted with a 500gb sata drive ..on which I have 2x different Enigma2 images ..
and a modified DGstation NLB image in the box flash ..
Its set up toTriple boot by holding down 1 2 or 3 on the remote control when switched on.
I keep the NLB image in the flash as primary or default boot (1) as this image seamlessly operates my 2 usals motorised dishes.
Enigma will do this ..but sometimes gets confused as to which dish it should move..
I suspect there is a bug in the Enigma2 core ..which has yet to be 'ironed out'
rgds

FatController

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Devon, UK
rolfw said:
Not sure if I can be much help, as I only have the 3000 HD, single tuner, but it certainly performs well, aside from the odd lockup occasionally.

The images are starting to appear more regularly and are easy to load, running NLB-11102-v1.51 image at the moment, looks pretty good and comes with pretty much all you need.:)

Rolfw- although a different model it's good to hear positive stories from users of the manufacturers other products. Thanks for helping to support my thoughts.
FatController :)

FatController

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Devon, UK
Vipersan said:
Hi FC ...
I have the IP9000HD which is of course the same box ..
I have had mine a while now ...and I lurrrv it......VS

Hi VS, thanks for your prompt posting and really useful info. The box has some good features (multi tuner support - I don't have access to cable so only S & T tuners I can use). The fact if supports an internal HDD, means less clutter - however I can only find mention of a 500Gb drive, is that the limit? I don't know how much space each core/image takes up, but I also need to be able to record stuff too...! Your suggestion of 3 different versions, sounds a great idea, but makes me think I need to consider the biggest HDD I can get.
I know the Cuberevo/IPBox are the same hardware - which if any is the better to go for, or doesn't it matter. Are the controls/interface the same?
B regards, FC

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Hi FC ..
I've not yet tried to fit a larger drive but I see no reason why it would not work..
In actual fact I'm thinking of replacing my Hard Drive with a 2.5 inch sata 500gb ...
I will have to 'create' a carrier or bracket to achieve this ..but I hope to gain ..
a) less heat creation
b) better air circulation for cooling around the drive and the inside of the box .
c) less demand on the psu ( though I can't confirm this until I can compare the drives)
d) less audible noise ..depending on which drive I choose I guess

..at the moment I'm awaiting the arrival of a stand alone drive clone unit from the far east ...which should make this process easier.
..insofaras ..I wont have to recreate my drive ..simply copy it and not have to start rebuilding the various images etc.

As far as space required on the drive for each extra image ...
This is minimal ..
I simply had 2x extra 5gb partitions created and mounted prior to use ..leaving the remainder of the drive for the exclusive use of the whichever image is recording to the drive..
ok ..I lose a few gb of recording space but well worth it imo.

rgds
VS

FatController

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Devon, UK
Vipersan said:
Hi FC ..
I've not yet tried to fit a larger drive but I see no reason why it would not work..
In actual fact I'm thinking of replacing my Hard Drive with a 2.5 inch sata 500gb ...
I will have to 'create' a carrier or bracket to achieve this ..rgds
VS

Hi VS, looks like the standard 500Gb drive I can get one with should be sufficient for most of my initial needs then. Not knowing anything about Linus (I do about Windows) there was a limit on Windows systems at one stage hence the Q. It does sound like the smaller drive will resolve the points you mention.

You didn't mention if I need to consider an Cuberevo over a AB IPBOX or the useability of yours. However, by your initial I luv it comments must mean you don't have any real critisims!

Once I have sourced the receiver I will be back to pose some more Q's as I am sure I will have some.
Thanks again, FC

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
FatController said:
You didn't mention if I need to consider an Cuberevo over a AB IPBOX or the useability of yours. However, by your initial I luv it comments must mean you don't have any real critisims!

In all Honesty ...I don't believe there to be any differences between the 2 receivers ..other than simply cosmetic..

As to any further questions you may have ..
I don't pretend to have all the answers ...but happy to help if I can
rgds
VS

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I am considering buying this receiver, can i run my new white Sky card in it or do i need an external reader for it?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Hi Telia
I have yet to get the internal card reader to work with a sly card ..
But I do successfully watch CH4HD on my 9000hD with a diablo running Horizons..and the new white sly FTV card
I'm told this also works with a full subs card ..but cannot confirm this.
obviously the white card has to be returned to its paired box occasionally for updates ...or it turns off and has to be re-enabled.
rgds

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I put mine in the other day, to watch Channel 4 HD, but it has an annoying hiccup every 8 seconds or so, that was using MGcamD.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
I can confirm what Rolf says ..
Just installed MGcamD and tried my white card in the internal reader..
jerky jumpy and stuttering about every 8 seconds ...
Gone back to my diablo ...which is smooth as silk ;)
rgds

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I've read tonight that a Smargo reader connected to USB will sort it?