New Idea: TV - long distance sharing

Pierangelo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150 cm from 80 east to 40 west + C lnb
My Location
Italy
Dears,
I want to spread an idea, if doable, to the software makers of Enigma 2 and others.

I start with my goal. I am so fond of foreign languages that I consider satellite and TV Channels as tools to reach my goal.

Why I can't use a paired couple of decoders to watch a movie/series with a friend that is in Japan and discuss about it (share the italian program or viceversa with a mate far away) .....?
Obviously without a good ADSL/VDSL...., you have no possibility but nowadays the ability to compress the TS stream is more than good, so it shouldn't be anything impossible technically.

Then, considering that with all the possibilities of more tuners/FBC, you could watch your friend's tv freely and viceversa.... ;)

Could anyone tell me if this thing already exists and what do you think about it.

Regards

Pierangelo
Italy

:-welcome1

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It used to be called a sling box, but I never had one to test .

Pierangelo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
I knew it, but I think E2 boxes are a better technical solution..... potentially...... who knows?

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Slingbox was from a few years back, it was only an example.

What do you mean by 'our boxes' ?

Pierangelo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
A

Archive7

I agree with you that watching satellite channels is a good way to learn foreign languages.
I have recently bought a subscription to DigiTurk Europe to help me learn Turkish.
But I am not sure how you could watch satellite channels from Japan, as you obviously can't receive the channels for satellites over Italy.
The best way in my opinion is to go the IPTV route, provided that your friends in other countries are willing to allocate a satellite receiver (or a terrestrial receiver) just for you and then have a 24/7 ADSL service so that you can always connect to "your" remote device.
Obviously you should also be willing to do the same for them.
There are a lot of websites that offer IPTV subscription, including channels from Italy.
But these are crippled channels that have only the main language in a low quality video, even for HD channels as they can't afford to give subscribers the best quality and be competitive.
Also many TV channels carry teletext and other audio channels and with IPTV you can set it up to have all these options for a remote user.
Good luck with this.

Pierangelo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Please could you explain better: IPTV router?

and turning E2 into an iptv server?

thanks
a gift in PM.
ciao

A

Archive7

Please could you explain better: IPTV router?
I said IPTV route not router.
But if you have an E2 receiver, you can set it up to watch your favorite channels while you are away from home.
Something like the Open Webif interface that you use at home using your local network, but for outside viewing.
I haven't done it myself, but this is doable.
Your friends can watch the channels also from abroad.

Pierangelo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Is it only a question of port forwading on my router?

A

Archive-8

Is it only a question of port forwading on my router?

Normally you would set port 80 and 8001 in the router and you should be good to go.

You would need very good xdsl, I have 2 conections 1 fibre where the e2 box is and an adsl connection in my flat.

When I try to stream the e2 box I get a very choppy picture, perhaps fibre both ends might just do it.