New installation with multiple satellites and multiple receivers

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S. HTPC with Sky Star HD Card. Viaccess CAM for Swiss channels on Hotbird 13E.
My Location
Israel
The unicable multiswitches support plugin a DVB-T antenna in and then distribute that signal over the same single wire.
e.g. shop.digital-devices.de/095103

My question is, assuming I have an antenna connected to the Unicable multiswitch, how do I get the signal into the DVB-T receiver. I haven't found anything mentioning this. I assume because it is a different frequency I can just plug it in but maybe I'd need a special adapter.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
torusJKL said:
My question is, assuming I have an antenna connected to the Unicable multiswitch, how do I get the signal into the DVB-T receiver. I haven't found anything mentioning this. I assume because it is a different frequency I can just plug it in but maybe I'd need a special adapter.
You use a wall plate or splitter that splits the signal on the down cable into terrestrial (<950MHz) and satellite (>950MHz).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Or a triplexer wall plate that splits the signals into band II (FM), BandIV/V (terrestrial TV) and satellite. I believe that recent UK triplexers now include band III (DA:cool: in with the FM outlet, earlier ones outputed with the TV signals,

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S. HTPC with Sky Star HD Card. Viaccess CAM for Swiss channels on Hotbird 13E.
My Location
Israel
But is this splitter mandatory?
The DVB-S receivers work without using the DVB-T splitter because they ignore the DVB-T frequency.
Can it be that the DVB-T receivers do the same and ignore the DVB-S frequencies?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
torusJKL said:
But is this splitter mandatory?
The DVB-S receivers work without using the DVB-T splitter because they ignore the DVB-T frequency.
Can it be that the DVB-T receivers do the same and ignore the DVB-S frequencies?
Why would you go to the bother of installing 2 satellites dishes, and a multiswitch if you want to completely ignore the signal coming from them?

Also, in theory you should filter the DVB-T filter from reaching the satellite receiver so it doesn't upset the tuner. And even if you do filter it you will still have harmonics from the DVB-T signal mixed in with your satellite signal, which means it is not a good idea to mix DVB-T and DVB-S signals on the same cable except in the case of exceptionally strong satellites.

Personally I don't mix them because, according to my meters, the SNR of the DVB-S signal is always worse at the receiver than at the LNB, something that is not the case when using individual cables.

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Israel
I will use 2 satellite dishes for TV channels from abroad. The local channels would be on a third satellite. Unfortunately I couldn't find any unicable multiswitch that allows to connect 4 LNBs.
So the remaining option would be to have a receiver for the two satellites Hotbird and ABS and another receiver for DVB-T to get the local channels.

Now instead of installing a living room antenna with every DVB-T receiver the idea was to use the install a single one on the roof and have it distributed with the unicable system.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
torusJKL said:
Unfortunately I couldn't find any unicable multiswitch that allows to connect 4 LNBs.
The current standard supports switching for only one or two satellite feeds.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
torusJKL said:
I will use 2 satellite dishes for TV channels from abroad. The local channels would be on a third satellite. Unfortunately I couldn't find any unicable multiswitch that allows to connect 4 LNBs.
So the remaining option would be to have a receiver for the two satellites Hotbird and ABS and another receiver for DVB-T to get the local channels.

Now instead of installing a living room antenna with every DVB-T receiver the idea was to use the install a single one on the roof and have it distributed with the unicable system.
If I am reading this correctly, in order to save having a DVB-T receiver in the rooms (I take it the televisions you own are analogue only), you would consider a DVB-T receiver to feed the channels from the point where terrestrial and satellite are combined.

If so you would require ;
1) one DVB-T receiver for each terrestrial channel watched (or employ a remote channel change system, and you then only get one channel throughout the house),
2)the DVB-T receivers would need to have an RF modulator to push the signal into the cabling, and then
3)you need to combine this with the existing satellite signals that are running in the unicable, which requires a diplexing box and possibly amplification to inject into the system.

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Israel
Not exactly.
The DVB-T antenna cable would be connected to the unicable switch.
The receivers, 1 built in to a digital TV the other being a stand alone are in the apartment and would get the cables from regular unicable 2 way splitters.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
There's no LNB at the minute, just theory. Terrestrial signal hooks into the multi-switch on roof for access to the same cable.

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Israel
Channel Hopper said:
Is the LNB you have one that offers a UHF pass through it ?

http://www.inter-sat.tv/inverto-idlp-40qdter-quad-tv-0-2db_d342.html

Is there a unicable version of this ?
As LNB I'm planing to buy the Inverto Quattro ECO because it needs only 100mA
shop.digital-devices.de/epages/62357162.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62357162/Products/095140

And as DVB-T antenna Faval DA 100
www.techno-com.de/shopjtl/DVB-T-aktive-Outdoor-Antenne-FaVal-DA-100

As Unicable multiswitch the Jultec JRM 0908A because it takes it's power from the receivers
www.bfm-satshop.de/matrix/kaskaden/jultec/jultec-jrm0908a.html

I would then connect 2 quattro NLBs and the DVB-T antenna to the multiswitch and from there 1 cable would go from the roof down to the appartment.
In the appartment I would use multiple splitters to connect 2 DVB-S receivers with each 2 tuners and 2 DVB-T receivers (1 built into the TV).

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
One has to ask why you require two satellite receivers and two terrestrial receivers in each room ?

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Israel
There is 1 satellite receiver in each room.
Each satellite receiver having 2 tuners so that it is possible to watch 1 channel while recording another.
And there is also 1 DVB-T receiver in each room to watch the local program.