PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Welcome to the forum 4me2C2 and dazed&confused, the place is full of good stuff!

To d&c - see my byline on top of my avatar on the left!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome to the forum guys.

matthewt2210

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+box with quad lnb
My Location
uk. north west
is this whare the newbies post??? i`m new to this forum thing does is work like a skype room?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Welcome to the Forum.

I know nothing about Skype, I'm afraid.

We just have categorised Topics where you can glean information, ask questions, add your tuppence worth etc.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi matthewt2210, :-Welcome1 to the forum

matthewt2210

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+box with quad lnb
My Location
uk. north west
hi, i have been doing tv aerials for about 12 months now but i`ve been turning away the dish work as i have nt much idea how 2 do it, as i work in the hills and valleys whare freeview lite is the norm freesat is becoming popular, i need 2 learn about dish alignment so i can do this work to. i have been givern a canary sat finder (about £25 i think it cost, just so u have an idea of what it is lol) it has no instructions with it, so as u can imagine i`m a little stuck, can u help me with this or direct me 2 somewhare on here i can find it
best regards matt

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Welcome matt

If you're going to be doing sat installs professionally you need a meter. It's all very well for me, as an amateur, to peak up Astra 2 using a Digibox and TV but a pro shouldn't be seen to do it that way. I don't know what a canary sat finder is but for £25 I doubt it'll be enough.

You need to be able to zero in the dish in the minimum time possible. Experience will allow you to roughly position it and then finish off with the meter. I could easily spend an hour or more doing that - you need to do it quicker. You also need to know whether the dish has a good view of the heavens with no obstructions - again not difficult after a while.

If you've been roof crawling then you probably have all the ladders, drills, etc you'll need and be conversant with H&S, as well as having insurance.

It's a short step - I say go for it!

matthewt2210

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+box with quad lnb
My Location
uk. north west
hi paul, thanks for the encouraging sentiments, after 3 hours of faffing i have givern up with the canary thing, looks like i`ll have to spend some money lol, is there a forum on here that the profesional dish man would use to sell secondhand meters?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
matthewt2210 said:
hi paul, thanks for the encouraging sentiments, after 3 hours of faffing i have givern up with the canary thing, looks like i`ll have to spend some money lol, is there a forum on here that the profesional dish man would use to sell secondhand meters?

Welcome and indeed there is somewhere
Satellite Systems and Accessories - (no Trade)

matthewt2210

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+box with quad lnb
My Location
uk. north west
thanku topper, looks like you are just round the corner from me, i`m in waterfoot

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
matthewt2210 said:
thanku topper, looks like you are just round the corner from me, i`m in waterfoot

Lol yes I was at James Ashworth's timber yard last month he made me some matching skirting board from a sample, it would have cost me more just to buy the equivalent lengths of plain wood at BnQ

matthewt2210

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+box with quad lnb
My Location
uk. north west
haha, i have always found him expensive, howarths timber is the place lol, so as u know the area i work in rawtenstall, hazlingden, waterfoot, bacup and burnley could u give me some advice on which meter would be best for me, if i`m steping on your toes and i`m not being too cheeky that is

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I would recommend the Satlook Micro+G2 NIT for a cheap meter, it does the job for sat installs, good battery life and compact for ladder work, not had any probs with mine. It has paid for itself many times over.

I had a Lacuna Mk4 before that, meter OK, but battery life and charging were atrocious.

davidxyz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2600 ftv card, 60cm dish with motor, asrock motherboard + p4 + 2gb ram + win xp sp3.
My Location
Glasgow
I'm joining this forum because I'm interested in learning more about satellite tv, not just that, but because going into the unknown can lead to some good experiences.

Here's a story that might interest someone. I recently ordered a new satellite tv card for ftv. A few days later, £20 was taken from my account. A few days later, this is what arrived (see image).

I checked my bank account again and no more money had been taken. Weird.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 27

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, the legendary BSkyB efficiency.

Welcome to the Forum!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome on board.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
:-Welcome1 to the forum davidxyz :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum davidxyz
Perhaps sky are doing that as standard now assuming that people will have more than one TV in the house

davidxyz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2600 ftv card, 60cm dish with motor, asrock motherboard + p4 + 2gb ram + win xp sp3.
My Location
Glasgow
Topper said:
Welcome to the forum davidxyz
Perhaps sky are doing that as standard now assuming that people will have more than one TV in the house

If that's the case, then 3 cards for £20 is a good buy. I bought one now in case they go up to £25-£30 each as they've been £20 for years. I'm leaving the card in my box all night to see if it activates without phoning sky. Some people say you need to phone or use the new installation option in the menu with box connected to a phone line. I'll wait and see if it activates by itself.