New Meter

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Well I used the Satlook Micro G2 meter for the first time last night.
I was trying to find Astra 3B, 23.5E, which is a new satellite, for Slovakian customers. This satellite is not in it's database yet, so I found a corresponding transponder on 28.2E, and used the spectrum analyzer to find one at the same frequency and then I moved the dish west, watching the spectrum. First result was 19.2E and it quickly identified it on the constellation screen, so the I moved the dish back east slightly, and up it came, went into constellation to identify it, and then saved it to the memory.Then I re-aligned two more dishes shorly after using the Easyfind feature with the new info in the meter- very easy!!
My only gripe is the battery life is short, by the time I got to the third dish the battery died and I had to use the meter with the charger attached in the pouring rain.
My Lacuna would never have been able to find this sat. I tried in vain last week.
So all in all, a very effective piece of kit, and I had only ever used a Lacuna before this!! Shame about the battery it takes so long to recharge it.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If it's a Lithium Ion battery, they benefit from "Conditioning" ie three or four really deep discharge and charge cycles

A fair few instances of disappointing endurance stem from failure to Condition.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Saving into the memory is fine to recall another time. Recognising the spectrum fingerprint is another way to get alignment along with the added feature of NIT.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
All the transponders look alike to me, whichever satellite they belong to. But this is the very first time I have seen, let alone used a spectrum analyzer function!!
NB
I must delete the existing 23.5E memory entries as they are for 3A which is not possible to get in Ireland, only 3B.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
excollier said:
W
My only gripe is the battery life is short, by the time I got to the third dish the battery died and I had to use the meter with the charger attached in the pouring rain.

It would depen how long you had it switched on for I suppose. But Ive not noticed short battery life at all.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
I'm sure you'll get to recognise the trace between satellites once you get familiar with them. You can of course adjust the sweep time and amplitude of the spectrum.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Robbo said:
It would depen how long you had it switched on for I suppose. But Ive not noticed short battery life at all.

Probably longer than I thought, as it was the first time I had used it. I was forever cross checking the info on different screens to make sure I was getting it right. I will get quicker, I suppose, with more experience of the meter.
I am well pleased though.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
excollier said:
identified it on the constellation screen, so the I moved the dish back east slightly, and up it came, went into constellation to identify it
Doesn't the Micro have NIT identification from the spectrum screen?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Huevos said:
Doesn't the Micro have NIT identification from the spectrum screen?

Not from the spectrum screen.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
satelliteman said:
Not from the spectrum screen.
Ok. My Satlook does have it so I was confused.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well I don't know how long the battery should last, but an hour is not long, especially if you have a couple of jobs in a day, or are trying to connect several rooms in a house and you need to isolate 1 cable in a bundle in a couple of rooms.
Seems poor to me, the Lacuna has a much better battery life, but I suppose it is very basic by comparison.
I will have to get (much) faster, if this is to be my primary meter!!
You live and learn...

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
excollier said:
Well I don't know how long the battery should last, but an hour is not long, especially if you have a couple of jobs in a day, or are trying to connect several rooms in a house and you need to isolate 1 cable in a bundle in a couple of rooms.
Seems poor to me, the Lacuna has a much better battery life, but I suppose it is very basic by comparison.
I will have to get (much) faster, if this is to be my primary meter!!
You live and learn...
For me the Lacuna battery life is terrible. I carry an inverter and charge it between jobs. By comparison the Satlook could probably go a week without a charge (not the same model as yours though). I guess it depends how you use it though. Personally I just lift the dish up vertically until I hit any satellite and then just go left or right down the arc as necessary until I hit the satellite I want. Normally it takes less than a minute to get to the satellite I want and just a few minutes to fine adjust it. If I stop to fiddle about with the dish I turn the meter off.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for all the pointers everyone, now I start learning how to use a proper meter!!

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Right, problems!
The Satlook G2 is now giving me a hard time!
It now has started to show very low RF signal readings for all TPs on all sats. On EasyFind,Digital and Analog screens.
For instance on Astra 2 28.2e it should surely give quite a high RF reading, but it is almost zero, but the snr is around 6.5-8.0 dB. I also realigned a 1m dish from 1w to 39e and was expecting a good high reading but that was very low too, but reception is great, judging by the picture from Diema yesterday, in heavy rain.
I recently updated the firmware from the Emitor website, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
I checked each time with my Lacuna, and that is givng good strong signal radings and high PQ %.
I have tried it on various installs that I have done, and get the same results.
Any thoughts anyone? I am baffled.
The attenuator is turned off, If I put that on I lose all signal.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Low signal at the dish? What dBuV readings are you getting, and on what transponder/satellite/dish combination?

Could be a plug on your flylead or the termination at the meter.

Lacuna signal strength seems pretty meaningless to me. Bottom line on the Lacuna is BER and that's only a relative reading so it's pretty meaningless too without a reference.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes low readings at the dish as well as at the receiver, and at most transponders, and three different satellites ( 28.2e, 23.5e (3:cool:, and 39e) all of which are fairly strong normally.
Astra 2 was measured on a 60cm Televes dish and Astra 2 and Hellassat were on separate 1m dishes.
The readings for Astra 2 were showing (barely) on the RF signal thermometer scale on the meter, only a couple of dB on the scale.
Reception in all cases was very good.
Some of the higher frequencies are slightly better, which seems strange to me.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Huevos said:
Low signal at the dish? What dBuV readings are you getting, and on what transponder/satellite/dish combination?

Could be a plug on your flylead or the termination at the meter.

Lacuna signal strength seems pretty meaningless to me. Bottom line on the Lacuna is BER and that's only a relative reading so it's pretty meaningless too without a reference.

Changed the flylead, and new plugs, it was nearly the first thing I ruled out.

What happens if I hit the reset button?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Can you post a photo of the display.

Maybe you are using the wrong units after the firmware update. Make certain the units are dBuV for signal strength.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
How do I change the units on the meter?