New mobo/CPU

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
So after using the same PC for over 5 years now on the original Intel i5 CPU (the 760), I thought it was about time to do the upgrade - especially as it's my birthday in 2 weeks!

I don't do any gaming but I do watch a number of HD videos and it does sometimes struggle with the content. I run Mac OS X as my OS (Hackintosh method), as I hate Windows 8 with passion and Linux doesn't float my boat as a desktop OS. OS X is also free! While Mavericks runs fine, Yosemite was a bit sluggish with some UI transitions being a bit choppy.

Sooo.... I bought:

A new Dell U2412M IPS monitor - beats the spots off my old 24" TN panel
A Gigabyte Ga-Z97M-D3H motherboard - I like Gigabyte stuff, nice and reliable. Also, lots of support from the Hackintosh community for it.
An Intel i5 4590 3.3GHz CPU - with onboard HD4600 graphics, which is natively supported by OS X
A Mac keyboard with Russian/Cyrillic layout
A 128GB SSD drive. Toyed with the idea of going with PCI-Express SSD, that have real world speeds of over 700Mb/sec!!!, but the high price ruled that out
8GB RAM - really don't see the point of having more than that in my use case

Very much looking forward to playing with it. The whole thing above cost about £500, which is a lot cheaper than what a real Mac would have cost (an equivalent Mac would probably be about £1200-1300).

The only thing that I need to purchase now is a USB satellite card that I can use from within a Windows VM.

Will also be selling my old hardware (including the sat card) to recoup some of the cost... but will be worth it :D

Not all my spare cash goes towards satellite stuff! Most but not all...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
re: "Linux", forgive me for saying so, but which Distros (of the very many) are you referring to?

I mean, a fair few nowadays have Desktops which either do resemble (or can very easily be made to resemble) yer actual Windows (XP, 7, whatever).

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I knew you'd bite, G ;)

Over the many years, I've tried a few. Various incarnations of Ubuntu/Debian, RedHats (does Fedora still exist?) and, yes, Mint. I've actually recommended Mint to my work colleagues who had old weak laptops to run email and web browsing and they are perfectly happy with it. And I personally run a Debian based OS on my Raspberry Pi for simple server duties - again, perfectly happy.

As for my main desktop OS, I never managed to get on with Linuxes. And with Mac OS being offered for free from their official store, it's no-contest for me. And Mac OS X is Unix underneath - does that count? :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep, Unix counts! ('twas more of a nibble than a bite) ;)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I have thought of Hackintosh myself so I mean no offense as I share this funny rant:
Linus Torvalds: Apple's HFS+ is probably the worst file system ever
Let's be honest here. The choices people makes with regards to their OS, hardware, satellite receivers, cars, girls etc. are personal. "One man's crap is another man's treasure" springs to mind.

There are many things that annoy me in OS X but there are more things that annoy me in Windows. It's a question of balance of what you like and what you need. To me, an OS X is pleasing to the eye and has a pretty snappy interface. It's one of the main reasons why I picked it. It actually reminds me of the very first OS that I used - RISC OS that was shipped with Acorn computers back in the 90's. You can run it in RPi as well, if you want to.

It's a shame that I have to use Windows as my work OS, simply because of software that we use for VPN (Juniper - urgh! - at least our company doesn't allow it).

Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, not sure what Linus is on about. There's very much a case sensitive option in Apple's own Disk Utility...

I do somewhat agree with him about Finder - it takes a bit of getting used to.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424872326554.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424872326554.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 16