New Nokia 9800 software.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hello Rentakill,

I think that you have made a very good deal with the Nokia 9800S.
It is an excellent receiver and the design inside is superb.
But as you have discovered already, the response is rather slow.
With the previous firmware it was even worse.
The MA 2.0 is the latest firmware and since then Nokia stopped supporting the sat receiver line and therefore no updating was seen since then.
If you see anything unofficial, I recommend not to try it as it might ruin your box.
Did you install the MA 2.0 yourself?
If you think the response is exceptionally slow, then try installing it again.
Enjoy it.

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.6M Ku Band Orbitron, 3.0M Orbitron C band. 1.2M Ku offset, 1.0M Ku Offset, 90Cm/Moteck Ku, 65Cm Ku Offset, 1.2m Paraclips Hydro C Band Nokia Dbox 9500s, Nokia Dbox2, 2x Dreambox 7020s, Dreambox Dm500s, 2 x Dreambox Dm800 HD, UEC 660, Pace HDi PVR
My Location
Downunder
Hi HB13DISH

The MA 2.0 Firmware i did install myself. No problem.
I just thought on the off chance that there may be a prefered image for this box that offeres better responce.
I have read various threads saying the V 1.0 or V1.1 is better than the final MA 2.0 version.
As i mentioned earlier, the box is going to be used only for FTA purposes, No CAMs installed at all.

It would be nice to have it relatively quiker in responce than what it currently is..

Cheers

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Rentakill said:
Hi HB13DISH

The MA 2.0 Firmware i did install myself. No problem.
I just thought on the off chance that there may be a prefered image for this box that offeres better responce.
I have read various threads saying the V 1.0 or V1.1 is better than the final MA 2.0 version.
As i mentioned earlier, the box is going to be used only for FTA purposes, No CAMs installed at all.

It would be nice to have it relatively quiker in responce than what it currently is..

Cheers

Hello again Rentakill,

The MA 2.0 made a big difference to the performance of the box. So there is no point in going back.
The timer function was added, which is a nice feature in my opinion also other additional features.
Did you note which firmware it had before you upgraded and if it functioned better than now?
Since you know how to upgrade, try it installing it again.
This time diconnect all cables (especially the LNB coaxial cable), the scart and leave only the RS-232 and power cord.

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.6M Ku Band Orbitron, 3.0M Orbitron C band. 1.2M Ku offset, 1.0M Ku Offset, 90Cm/Moteck Ku, 65Cm Ku Offset, 1.2m Paraclips Hydro C Band Nokia Dbox 9500s, Nokia Dbox2, 2x Dreambox 7020s, Dreambox Dm500s, 2 x Dreambox Dm800 HD, UEC 660, Pace HDi PVR
My Location
Downunder
Hi

The original Firmware details installed was as follows:

Hardware Ver : 1.2
Soft ver : MA 1.3
Boot Software : Ver 200

After the upgrade, i would say responce was about the same as prior to upgrading.
Upgrade was performed without any interconnects from Sat/LNB etc.
Only connections used were RS 232 and existing AV out to Monitor.

Its seems that this is "As good as it gets"

Cheers

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Downunder
Hi Guys.

Just encountered a problem with my Nokia 9800s receiver.
Loading on MMedit, i read and then edited/Created and sorted my Favourites and then uploaded them to the box.
After rebooting the box, and then making checks i then picked up a few
other channels that needed to be sorted into order.
After restarting MMedit and downloading the boxes Data, making changes to my listings etc, i then uploaded back to the box with success.
Now, After rebooting the box, the box begins rebooting, with its normal 9800s, Self Test, MA2.0 being displayed on the Display.. but stops and just hangs at the MA 2.0 point.. No furthur booting is done.
Its looking to me as though the bootloader has become corrupt , or possibly some settings from when i performed my last update via MMedit was done.
Ive tried the various hardware resets, with no luck, although i havent really found an official Hardware reset for the MA 2.0 firmware.

Can anyone shed any light on what i should do to revitalise the 9800s..?

Any info would be great

Cheers

Ren

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Could be your o/s that caused this problem. Nokia MM recommended using a PC with windows 98 and I am assuming that you are using Vista or XP.

I suppose that you tried pulling the power cord and waited 10 minutes.
If this didn't help, then you probably need to reflash the MA2.0 from scratch.
Hopefully you have a backup on your HDD, or search the forum for a link that might still has it.
If and when you get it alive again, don't use the MMedit again.

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Downunder
Hi there..

Thanks for the reply.. I have in fact reflashed the box with the same firmware version, but get the same outcome.
The box just hangs at MA02..

Cheers:

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Rentakill said:
Hi there..

Thanks for the reply.. I have in fact reflashed the box with the same firmware version, but get the same outcome.
The box just hangs at MA02..

Cheers:

What is the operating system?
Did you disconnect all the cables including the LNB coaxial cable?
Use Windows 98 if you can find such a PC at work or at a friend's.
Just take the box. You don't need the dish for the update.

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Downunder
Hi HB13DISH

OS used is Vista Pro.
Originally a few months back i used the Same PC with OS to upgrade flash to MA02 firmware, without any probs.
Even when reflashing now, Serial bootloader software runs fine, no errors or time outs etc.
I do have a Pc in my garage running a dual boot Win98/Xp setup, so can easily try flashing the firmware over with that..

Flashing was done with box dissconnnected from Dish feed aswell as Scart connector too.

Cheers

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Worth trying with the PC in the garage. At least this way you would eliminate a possible cause.

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Downunder
Hi HB13DISH

just attacked it at work, and sorted it.
Tried the Factory reset method, and finally got it.
What a tedious exercise..

Anyway.. Will get back on track with MMedit, it was working well, untill i had my misshap.

Cheers:

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Rentakill said:
Hi HB13DISH

just attacked it at work, and sorted it.
Tried the Factory reset method, and finally got it.
What a tedious exercise..

Anyway.. Will get back on track with MMedit, it was working well, untill i had my misshap.

Cheers:

Good. Glad you sorted it out.
It could be your PC.
Why take the risk again with MMedit?
This box has a terrible zapping speed anyway, but I like it. You should see the inside. First class design, not like the cheap boxed of today.

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Downunder
Hi HB13DISH

Your not wrong.. The 9800s is a very well designed box.
Layout is also quite neat and tidy.
Just a pity the responce is laggy as it is.. its almost like it needs a bit more ram onboard.

I just picked up an older Nokia 9500s a few weeks back that was going to the dump. I added it to my collection of boxes along with my own original 9500s,,, finally taking a look at it a few weeks later i found the F connector to be loose and just required reflowing.
Reflashed it with the last release of DVB2000 and its away.

The only thing i never really like about the 9500s was its running temp.
Other than that, they too are also a brilliant receiver.

For a box of its age to still be around 10 years later definately says something..

Thanks heaps for your responce..

Cheers

Ren

zev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nokia mm9800s MA2.0
xp98
My Location
Isarael
HI Evrybody

I have Nokia MM9800S since 2000 and it work fine I have upgraded it with Ma2.0 via PC on 2003 its problem the respone is slow .

yours
zeev

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
zev said:
HI Evrybody

I have Nokia MM9800S since 2000 and it work fine I have upgraded it with Ma2.0 via PC on 2003 its problem the respone is slow .

yours
zeev

Hi zev,

You are absolutely correct.
I can make a cup of coffee from the time I hit the zap button until it change to the next station. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
When I upgraded mine from 1.3 to 2.0 it changed from being a sluggish practically pointless box to a nice responsive decent box, I guess some revisions of the box react differently to different software revisions... :)

Rentakill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Downunder
Was there Actually a prefered image that gave a better responce from all the releases made over the years ?.
I've got my 9800s just for FTA, not worried about any CA etc.

MA 2.0 loaded at present.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Rentakill said:
Was there Actually a prefered image that gave a better responce from all the releases made over the years ?.
I've got my 9800s just for FTA, not worried about any CA etc.

MA 2.0 loaded at present.

MA 2.0 is the latest.
The embedded Viaccess CA is great, but the CI slot doesn't recognize several CI Cams like Magic Cam. Only dedicated Viaccess, Seca and Irdeto.

zev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nokia mm9800s MA2.0
xp98
My Location
Isarael
Hi HB13DISH

If you want that mm9800s will recognize the Magic Cam you have to take out the Can from the CI slot before making ON the receiver and then to push it in again.
I am using this option in my receiver.For upgrading Nokia 9800s with VA1.0 Firmware I have t0 set the factory default and it my problem I dont know the default.
If you want to upgrad your receiver with VA1.0 S/W you can download it from
theis site _www.satzentrale.com
yours

Zeev

zev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nokia mm9800s MA2.0
xp98
My Location
Isarael
HB13DISH said:
MA 2.0 is the latest.
The embedded Viaccess CA is great, but the CI slot doesn't recognize several CI Cams like Magic Cam. Only dedicated Viaccess, Seca and Irdeto.
Hi HB13DISH

for using Magic Cam with MM9800S you have to take out the Cam from the CI slot before making ON the receiver and then to push it in and the receier will Identify the Cam. I am using this option.
For upgrading the 9800S with VA1.0 S/W you need to set factory default.
My problem is that I do not Know the factory default off MM9800S.
Can you help to get it?!
Thanks

Zeev