new system

systemtek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital, Manhattan 3300 CI Plaza, Raven 70cm dish, with twin output Syntec 2000 0.3dB LNB on a Disceqc motor - PC ADSL 1Mb
My Location
Staffordshire, ENGLAND
Hi i am looking to get a decent complete new motorised system to allow me to watch TV from as far as i can get it. My dish will have a pretty much 360deg clear area no trees in the way. I am in the central area of the UK. I am mostly interested in watching news feeds and other live feeds can anyone tell me if the the following system is suitable, are news feeds encrypted these days ? or is it just a matter of point dish at correct satellite and put the freq seen on the lists in and away we go ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=96970&item=5778382913&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Above is the one i been looking at, is that a good one ? i used to watch news feeds 10 years ago on analogue but not done it since on digital, want to get back in to it again !

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It's not a bad little setup, you may want to look at a slightly bigger dish and more robust motor if you are chasing feeds though.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Serious feed chasers recommend a 1.2m dish minimum, although an 80cm will give you a reasonable choice of satellites.

systemtek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital, Manhattan 3300 CI Plaza, Raven 70cm dish, with twin output Syntec 2000 0.3dB LNB on a Disceqc motor - PC ADSL 1Mb
My Location
Staffordshire, ENGLAND
So the general feeds that get listed on here and other sites are not encrypted then ? and there is nothing special needed to view them ?

Or...can anyone point me to a company that sells complete kits similar to the ones found on ebay.

Thanks,

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Woah - some of the feeds are indeed encrypted - some of them use a transmission format called 4:2:2. Generally speaking, this is only available to high end professional equipment, or some pc based cards.

Have a look at

h**p://www.dxmonitoring.com/satellite/

over on the left side menu are some useful info links

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Analoguesat said:
Serious feed chasers recommend a 1.2m dish minimum, although an 80cm will give you a reasonable choice of satellites.
Unfortunately most borough councils would not allow a 1.2m dish without planning permission. The majority will allow up to 90cm as long as it's not sited at the highest point of the roof.

systemtek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, ENGLAND
sorry to sound dumb...but is 4:2:2 something to do with MPEG-2 ? or is it a seperate thing totally ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its mpeg - normal broadcast transmissions are 4:2:0. I think the difference is explained in the dxmonitoring site.

systemtek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, ENGLAND
Can anyone recomend a decent decoder that will do 4:2:2 as i said i like watching things like news feeds and TV feeds etc. I have a few hundred pounds to spend so something good that will last me. Any Ideas ?

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich
systemtek said:
Can anyone recomend a decent decoder that will do 4:2:2 as i said i like watching things like news feeds and TV feeds etc. I have a few hundred pounds to spend so something good that will last me. Any Ideas ?

The package on ebay is not bad and I would go for it. I have the same exact motor which I bought on ebay too but in Germany. Very quick in moving and looks at least very robost. So far it works great and I turn it a lot. The dish should be a bit bigger I agree and you can always swop with a meter dish and sell that one if it does not serve your needs. But try first. Same with the LNB which you could swop to a 0,2 Smart Titanium perhaps later some time.

You can buy a CAM Modul to receive a lot of descrambeld channels for that receiver too ;-) On of the Matrix CAM's which are very cheap by now. The Reborn CAM (latest) you can get for 37 Euro on German Ebay.

At least you have a complete set to start in the beginning and do not have to look for each thing somewere else.

Claasi

systemtek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, ENGLAND
I been looking at a few one been :

http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Complete_Motorised_Systems_2.html

The £380 one on that page.

Im not upto date on this stuff so i not sure what i need to receive the news feeds etc, as stated abiove i need something that will do 4:2:2 i cant seem to find a receiver to do that ... or is it a seperate add on CAM etc that can allow that ? im not sure myself.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The cheapest & easiest way to do 4:2:2 is with a Skystar 2 pc card.

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich
systemtek said:
I been looking at a few one been :

http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Complete_Motorised_Systems_2.html

The £380 one on that page.

Im not upto date on this stuff so i not sure what i need to receive the news feeds etc, as stated abiove i need something that will do 4:2:2 i cant seem to find a receiver to do that ... or is it a seperate add on CAM etc that can allow that ? im not sure myself.

I'm not sure on what folks are jumping on with this 4:2:2 stuff. I have looked up what this is actually about.For those who understand German and a translation in short below:

<LI>4:2:2 bedeutet, daß zwei nebeneinanderliegende Pixel jeweils getrennte Y-Werte, aber je einen gemeinsamen Cb- und Cr-Wert haben. Die Abtastrate für Cb und Cr ist nur halb so groß wie die für Y. Das ist das Standardformat für digital Video. Die Qualität ist so gut wie gar nicht vom 4:4:4-Format zu unterscheiden, erst bei Testbildern kann man bei genauem Hinsehen etwas bemerken.
It says that two next to each other pixel have separated Y-Values. 4:2:2 is the standard digital video format. There is almost no difference to 4:4:4 Format and you only see the difference on the test picture.
<LI>4:2:0 bedeutet, daß vier quadratisch angeordnete nebeneinanderliegende Pixel jeweils getrennte Y-Werte, aber je einen gemeinsamen Cb- und Cr-Wert haben. Die Abtastrate für Cb und Cr ist nur halb so groß wie die für Y, allerdings sind in jeder zweiten Zeile gar keine Werte für Cb und Cr vorhanden. In diesem Format sind die Daten auf einer DVD gespeichert. Beim Abspielen wird dieses 4:2:0-Format in 4:2:2 umgewandelt, bevor es an die D/A-Wandler geht. Die Qualität ist fast genau so gut wie 4:2:2, da die horizontale Auflösung für Cb und Cr geblieben sind und lediglich die vertikale Auflösung auf etwa den gleichen Wert reduziert wurde. 4:2:0 ist zum Speichern gut geeignet, aber für die Übertragung weniger, deshalb findet man z.B. als Verbindung zum D/A-Wandler ein 4:2:2-Format vor.
4:2:0 format is on a DVD and gets transformed into 4:2:2 by the Player. The format 4:2:0 is very good for storage purposes and not very good and used for transmission.
4:1:1 bedeutet, daß vier nebeneinanderliegende Pixel jeweils getrennte Y-Werte, aber je einen gemeinsamen Cb- und Cr-Wert haben. Die Abtastrate für Cb und Cr ist nur ein Viertel so groß wie die für Y. Dieses Format wurde früher für erste digitale Videoformate verwendet, es ist gut für die Übertragung geeignet, hat die gleiche Datenrate wie 4:2:0, aber horizontal nur ein Viertel der Auflösung wie Vertikal. Deshalb wird dieses Format kaum noch verwendet. Aber selbst dieses Format ist immer noch erheblich besser als S-VHS!
This format was used for the first digital video format and is good for transmission. But it is not much in use anymore. It is at least better than S-VHS

Well 380 quid is a lot more and I wonder if that is not to high and will meet your needs more.The Matrix Reloded CAM which you can order for 89 quid is to me a bit overpriced for this "grandmother" CAM. Good although is that you can order a bigger dish but you might have the chance to ask the other dealer too for a bigger dish.