New to the forum and new to satellite.

satuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have Freesat.
My Location
Republic of Ireland
Hi all,

I've just registered, I'm not really up on satellite stuff, having not used it before, apart from getting Freeview in the UK, I'm not even sure if Freeview qualifies as satellite? As we used to get it through a normal tv aerial, not via a dish.

Since moving to Ireland, the first property we rented had a Sky box which could only get free to air programmes through it, now, having just moved house again, the new house had a dish on the roof but no receiver, so I bought an cheap free to air receiver, make is called Opticum HD X100, it only cost €74.99, but it does the job nicely and the picture is a lot clearer than we used to get when using the Sky box. It was easy to set up, I just plugged it in the wall and stuck the leads in and it was up and running with all the programmes already loaded.

I'm thinking about getting an proper Sky subscription as well at some point, just so that I can get At The Races, can't see it on the Sky site, but is it possible to get just the At The Races channel without having to buy the entertainment plus package, as I have no need of the other programmes offered, I only want horse racing :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Best thing to do is ring At the races or Sky, they will tell you nwhether you can get it as a standalone channel.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
satuk said:
Hi all,

I've just registered, I'm not really up on satellite stuff, having not used it before, apart from getting Freeview in the UK, I'm not even sure if Freeview qualifies as satellite? As we used to get it through a normal tv aerial, not via a dish.

Welcome to the forum satuk

Freeview is indeed terrestrial unlike the satellite (almost) equivalent called Freesat, and they should not be confused, however being that you are now in Ireland their equivalents are Saorsat and Saorview

Saorsat (Irish Freesat) and Saorview terrestrial digital

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
rolfw said:
Best thing to do is ring At the races or Sky, they will tell you nwhether you can get it as a standalone channel.

AFAIK Rolf, Racing UK is the only horse racing channel available as as a separate subscription; ATR is part of Sky's sports or entertainment plus bundle (or ATR Ireland for the OP).