Help Required New TomTom advice

rotiv1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispasat
My Location
Entroncamento
Hi,

My girlfriend's TomTom Go Live 825 is experiencing some issues with charging - in that it won't. Every time it's plugged in, it just says "Charging paused - device too warm". It doesn't matter how cold it is (outside ambient temperature is about +5C), it always says that. It does it from the cigarette lighter socket as well as from a PC.

I've been advised that it might be a thermistor somewhere inside the device - does anyone know where it might be? Is it on the board or part of the battery?

Took it all apart and found what looks like an SMD thermistor (arrowed). But... this is a guess.

View attachment 60773 View attachment 60772

There are no markings on the silk screen next to this component other than S1 and S2 nearby, which can be seen from the pictures.

TomTom are being less than useless. The device is just out of warranty and are asking 105 Euros for a repair. What's making it worse is that they are refusing to refund the Live service subscription that my girlfriend very recently renewed and cannot use due to empty battery. For some reason, it won't work even if the device is running on external power (no choice here!).

TomTom devices seem so poorly made. Last year, her 820 blew up in a puff of smoke (literally). A zener along with a capacitor simply blew up. This is the reason she bought this new one, which lasted just over a year. I repaired the old one by replacing the blown parts (SMDs don't make it easy), which I was using successfully until recently.

Any ideas?
Amigos
Sou Vítor Vieira do Entroncamento, e há alguns anos andei por aqui, por isso sei da utilidade deste fórum e da disponibilidade de muitos amigos.
Agora sou quase um iniciante neste fórum, mas queria comprar um GPS TomTom, que fosse possível actualizar com mapas disponibilizados, aqui no fórum. Alguém me pode ajudar, quais os modelos até 150€, que futuramente poderão ser aqui atualizados? Obrigado

Mod note: Please include a translation into English

Friends
I'm Vítor Vieira from Entroncamento, and I've been around here for a few years, so I know how useful this forum is and how many friends are available.
Now I'm almost a beginner in this forum, but I wanted to buy a TomTom GPS, which was possible to update with available maps, here in the forum. Can anyone help me, which models up to 150€, which may be updated here in the future? Thank you