New TVs are horrible

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Now that the pointless 3D is on its way out, I have another bugbear to air - HFR or High Frame Rate rubbish.

My first experience of this was at my in-laws' where they have a fancy Samsung 46 inch TV with this feature in place. What it does is take 25fps and turns it into 50fps. This makes everything sped up and makes my head spin. This is much worse on films where it makes it look like a soap opera. No-one else seems to be noticing this!

Watched the Hobbit in HFR 3D in the cinema and that was even worse... I felt physically nauseous at various points. And it's not "3d" that did it but HFR.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
This is why I buy cheapo Bush stuff from Argos!

Works well but omits many of the "because we can" fripperies.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
This multiple frame refresh rate can surely be reduced or disabled in some menu option. If there is an option for Movies try this.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah but it's not my telly and the in-laws don't see it... Else every "feature" would be off... Picture quality is pretty good but completely ruined by screwing around with frame rates.

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
This sounds like my Samsung. I've turned off film mode and 100Hz Motion Plus as I don't like the smoothing effect. I was thinking about buying a newer model that maybe over the intervening years they had improved upon the method. Maybe I don't need to then :)