rosewall1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
PC running XP
My Location
Turkey
]Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I am VERY new to this so please bear with me if I ask silly questions. Also I cannot get rid of the underline on the text clicking on the U doesn't make any difference for some reason.

I live in Turkey and have just had a 1.8m dish installed with what they call a Skybox. On investigation this is a Dreambox 500. I get lots of channels on Astra 2A and 2B, which believe me is great but . . .

We get a lot of freezing and glitches, particularly in the evening, not so bad in the mornings. The glitches just last a few seconds, but the freezing can last anything from a couple of minutes to several hours (on Sunday it was frozen for 11 hours). I reboot the Dreambox several times but if it is not ready to unfreeze it won't.

The engineer has been several times to check it out but they cannot find anything wrong.

The MgCmd version loaded is 1.25 and Gemini 3.6.0, I know there are later versions available to download but the Engineer said that if we updated the software it would not descramble the Sky programs.

The other problem is that the normal username and password, i.e. root and dreambox do not work, the engineer has told us that it has not been changed from default and has no idea what it is. If I do a factory reset will this reset the username and password as well?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Welcome to the forum :)

A few questions:

Do FTA (unecrypted) channels freeze?

Are you using a card share? Your mention of sky suggests this as only CCcam will read a sky card (to my knowledge).

Are you using a motor and has the dish been corrected aligned for your southerly satellite?

How are you testing the username and password? Have you tried installing Tuxcommander? I think this can be used to change your password (haven't tried it so not sure on that point; search may help).

rosewall1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
PC running XP
My Location
Turkey
Hi mhku,

Many thanks for reply, the answers to your questions are:

FTA channels are excellent, always there and no freezing.

I don't think I am using cardshare, there is no card in the slot of the dreambox, it is just connected to a router. I have also tried CCcam instead of MgCmd but it doesn't make any difference.

No motor, just a fixed satellite dish. I can only assume it is correctly aligned, I have no way of checking it. On the information bar it is generally reading around 90%, even when there is no picture of sound on the scrambled station.

I have tried going to the change password menu on the Dreambox setup and it asks for the old password, nothing I have tried is recognised. I think Tuxcommander is run from the Dreambox, this is not loaded so if that is the case I am in a catch 22 position in that I need the password to install Tuxcommander.

Hope these answers are OK and will help towards a solution.

Many thanks

P.S. At the moment we have no scrambled stations at all this morning from around 3.30am GMT, it is now 8.15am.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You are connected to a busy card sharing server and it is probably overloaded at peak viewing periods. Sky may also be making life difficult for the server with commands. Unfortunately unless it is your internet connection which is flakey, the problem can only be sorted out at the server, which is down to the company from whom you bought the box.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rosewall1 said:
Hi mhku,

Many thanks for reply, the answers to your questions are:

FTA channels are excellent, always there and no freezing.

I don't think I am using cardshare, there is no card in the slot of the dreambox, it is just connected to a router. I have also tried CCcam instead of MgCmd but it doesn't make any difference.

No motor, just a fixed satellite dish. I can only assume it is correctly aligned, I have no way of checking it. On the information bar it is generally reading around 90%, even when there is no picture of sound on the scrambled station.

I have tried going to the change password menu on the Dreambox setup and it asks for the old password, nothing I have tried is recognised. I think Tuxcommander is run from the Dreambox, this is not loaded so if that is the case I am in a catch 22 position in that I need the password to install Tuxcommander.

Hope these answers are OK and will help towards a solution.

Many thanks

P.S. At the moment we have no scrambled stations at all this morning from around 3.30am GMT, it is now 8.15am.

What is the version of the Mgcamd and CCcam that are installed in your box?
Mgcamd latest is 1.29 and CCcam is 2.0.7 and it is better to install the latest using the router and from Blue Button > Addons > Gemini Server > Cams
Tuxbox Commander is in the plugins (Also from Gemini server) and is called Tuxcom.
I don't think that you can change the p/w using it. But it is a useful plugin so you might as well have it installed.

rosewall1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
PC running XP
My Location
Turkey
Hi HB13DISH

My dreambox is installed with MgCamd 1.25 and CCcam 2.0.3.

All I have in the Blue Button > Addons menu is Setup, Download and Install, Manual Install and Delete. No Gemini Server folder, so no Tuxcom either.

rosewall1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
PC running XP
My Location
Turkey
rolfw said:
You are connected to a busy card sharing server and it is probably overloaded at peak viewing periods. Sky may also be making life difficult for the server with commands. Unfortunately unless it is your internet connection which is flakey, the problem can only be sorted out at the server, which is down to the company from whom you bought the box.
Hi rolfw,

That is making sense, unfortunately here in Turkey I have a big language problem, I don't speak any Turkish and the Engineers speak very little English so until I learn to speak fluent Turkish it will be very difficult if not impossible to get this across to them.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rosewall1 said:
Hi HB13DISH

My dreambox is installed with MgCamd 1.25 and CCcam 2.0.3.

All I have in the Blue Button > Addons menu is Setup, Download and Install, Manual Install and Delete. No Gemini Server folder, so no Tuxcom either.

Have you tried Download and Install?
Perhaps with an older image the submenus are different from what I have on my box.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If he does that, he won't have access to the server, that's why the box is password locked. :)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
A common problem with the dreambox is that they have a too small flash memory. It will get cluttered and (to my knowledge) the only way to clear it is to reboot the box, sometime U need to do it 2 times.

Next freezing try a reboot