Newbie help please

bedbug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
uk
Hi

Currently I have Sky+ but would like to create a setup to receive other channels, particularly German and French language channels. Hopefully, this would run alongside the sky+ setup.

Could anyone advise me as to what I need in terms of decent dish and receiver, cables etc etc? Depending on the cost I quite like the idea of a motorised dish but I'm at a loss with where to go from here. For example, I've seen a Humax F3-Fox motorised system advertised on ebay - is this worth a look or would my money be better spent elsewhere? Is a budget of £200-£300 realistic?

I'm also eager to research as much as possible before buying - is there some good reading matter on the subject?

Thanks for your time.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
bedbug said:
Hi

Currently I have Sky+ but would like to create a setup to receive other channels, particularly German and French language channels. Hopefully, this would run alongside the sky+ setup.

Could anyone advise me as to what I need in terms of decent dish and receiver, cables etc etc? Depending on the cost I quite like the idea of a motorised dish but I'm at a loss with where to go from here. For example, I've seen a Humax F3-Fox motorised system advertised on ebay - is this worth a look or would my money be better spent elsewhere? Is a budget of £200-£300 realistic?

I'm also eager to research as much as possible before buying - is there some good reading matter on the subject?

Thanks for your time.

I would leave the Sky dish alone and install a new system with motor.
See if you have a good place for a second dish, and use the maximum allowed size about 90cm if I am not mistaken.
Are you into HD channels or not? This can affect your budget a lot.
As a new satellite was launched recently for Astra, it is supposed to have many HD channels and you shouldn't miss this possibility, in addition to what there is already.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I agree with HB, leave the sky alone and setup for other sats using a separate motorised dish, the reason being you would have to park the dish back on 28.2East every night to avoid missing the card keep alive signals and could you manage to end your day like that everynight, I doubt it. If you do not want a motorised setup get a monobloc lnb with 6 degree separation for 13 East and 19 East, have a ook at lyngsat.com to see what channels those will give you

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Whatever road you go down mate fixed or motor youll enjoy yourself its a great hobby:):):):):):):)

bedbug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
uk
Thanks guys for the above replies. What kind of box should I go for and what budget would secure a good one that will still be fairly contemporary in 2-3 years time (if thats possible)? Presumably the receiver will not be affected by the dish.

Again - thanks for your time.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
bedbug said:
Thanks guys for the above replies. What kind of box should I go for and what budget would secure a good one that will still be fairly contemporary in 2-3 years time (if thats possible)? Presumably the receiver will not be affected by the dish.

Again - thanks for your time.

As I mentioned before, your first question should be "to HD or not to HD".

ynotdu

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also U P C Ireland
My Location
Ireland
kenny1234 said:
Whatever road you go down mate fixed or motor youll enjoy yourself its a great hobby:):):):):):):)
Agree with You Mate,It is a great&fascinating hobby

bedbug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
uk
HB13DISH said:
As I mentioned before, your first question should be "to HD or not to HD".

I don't have HD as yet but wouldn't rule it out in the future. Having said that - a non-HD setup would probably be the preferred option for the immediate future - gives me time to learn a lot more about this area and where I'd like to go with it.

Thanks again

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
bedbug said:
I don't have HD as yet but wouldn't rule it out in the future. Having said that - a non-HD setup would probably be the preferred option for the immediate future - gives me time to learn a lot more about this area and where I'd like to go with it.

Thanks again

It would be wise to consider an HD receiver at the moment so as not to buy another receiver when the need arises, usually as a result of buying an HD TV.

bedbug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
uk
HB13DISH said:
It would be wise to consider an HD receiver at the moment so as not to buy another receiver when the need arises, usually as a result of buying an HD TV.

I see the logic but its not going to happen for awhile in the present economic climate - I'm happy to spend on a good dish that can be used when I upgrade to HD in the future but I can't really afford to spend the extra on a HD box when I won't be using it for that purpose. Unless of course the price difference between a HD box and non HD box is negligible.

Thanks again