Newbie Help

jameson_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HTPC setup
My Location
Birmingham, UK
I am a little out of my depth here so please be gentle :)

I live in a big block of flats with a communal dish. (I believe there are about 50 flats sharing the same dish). There is a satellite connection in my flat and I am told all the flats are fully wired up. Having taken apart the socket there is one coax cable coming in which then goes into the socket with TV, radio and satellite connections.

I have a HTPC quite happily setup using DVB-T for freeview but seems as I have a Pinnacle 7010ix card (which has dual DVB-T and dual DVB-S tuners) I figured I would have a play with Freesat and try out some of the HD offerings.

Problem is I can not tune to anything. When I scan for channels (in DVB Viewer or Media Portal) I see the signal strength bar goes up to about 50% but signal quality is 0 and it never finds any channels.

I am not sure now whether there is a problem with the wiring up to my flat, whether the TV card is dodgy or whether I am just not doing something.

I tried using the machine in someone else's flat (not in same block) who had Sky a few years ago and also has a communal dish and socket in their flat but got the same problems. This made the think it is possibly something I am doing wrong?

The card setup has options called DiSEqC and band but am I right in thinking that DiSEqC is for moving the dish so I can ignore this?? Band is set to KU-Linear (Universal) is this correct? Also when scanning there are options to do with LOF which I don't understand either.

Do I need to change these setting at all because of the way the satellite signal is distributed in the block or should it just be the defaults and there is a problem with the physical wiring ?

Any help as I am lost and tired :confused

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome,

LOF should be set to universal which is 9750 / 10600. You need to confirm that a satellite signal is available at the outlet plate and that it works with a standard receiver first

SM :)