newbie LNB query (my frequencies differ from lyngsat)

sat-newbie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta
Sky+
My Location
Manchester
I have a dish on the side of my house aligned to 19.2 from the days of analogue sky. For a bit of fun, I bought a cheap FTA digital STB (Fortec Star Beta) despite having no idea what type of LNB is on the dish.

I quite easily found 180 or so FTA channels but I've noticed that the frequencies displayed on screen are different to those listed on lyngsat.com.

For example....

ARTE (tp24) should be 11568, but displays as 11318 on my box.

KTO (tp22) should be 11538 but displays as 11285 on my box.

(note: the discrepancy is about 250)

I'm guessing this is something to do with the LNB? Does it mean I don't have a universal LNB? If this is the case, what LNB frequency should I be using on my Fortec?

Sorry if this is a dumb question! I'm pretty new to Satellite stuff! Thanks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, you are best off simply replacing the LNB for a universal LNB, they are extremely cheap, as it sound like you don't have one. Try one of the site sponsors.

The local oscillator in yours may be at a different frequency, also you may not be able to cover both the low and high bands. By my calculations the LO in the LNB = 10,000MHz.
(11568-X)+9750=11318, where x =your LO freq)

You may be able to correct the frequencies by altering the LNB type in the menu or by changing what LO it thinks the LNB has.

Robbo:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like an old 10Ghz LNB by the frequency shifting, very old, you can still probably set the receiver to 10Ghz local oscilator, but it will severely limit what you can receive. :) As Robbo says, replace it with a universal. :) Click on my signature for list of advertising supporters. :)

PS sorry Robbo, didn't read your post properly and now realise I've just pretty much repeated what you said. :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - its 250 MHz out so the lnb is an old 10MHz single band type. You need to put the aformentioned universal lnb onto it.

Give the bolts that hold the lnb plastic collar in place a good dousing in oil & WD40 at least a couple of hours before you start - chances are they will be rusty!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK

sat-newbie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta
Sky+
My Location
Manchester
Thanks everyone. It's nice to see such a knowledgable and helpful group here.

Robbo 71 wrote....
>You may be able to correct the frequencies by altering the
>LNB type in the menu or by changing what LO it thinks
>the LNB has.

Any suggestion what settings I should use? On the setup page, the available LNB frequencies are 5150, 10750, 11250, Universal, or enter a number manually. Of the presets, only 'Universal' seems to work.

One final question, how easy is it to change to a universal LNB and what tools will I need.

Thanks again.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dead easy IF you have completely safe access to the dish. The are are probably a couple of bolts or nuts and screws holding the plastic collar that grips the throat of the existing lnb..

Douse them in oil & wd40, undo them, slide the collar off and reverse for the new lnb. A 10 minute job if the bolts arent seized solid.

Please - DONT try it if the dish is 40 feet in the air, or positioned above a glass conservatory! (Both of which Ive seen....) Or if you are at all unsure about your DIY skills - call in an expert in these cases.....

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
sat-newbie said:
Thanks everyone. It's nice to see such a knowledgable and helpful group here.

Robbo 71 wrote....
>You may be able to correct the frequencies by altering the
>LNB type in the menu or by changing what LO it thinks
>the LNB has.

Any suggestion what settings I should use? On the setup page, the available LNB frequencies are 5150, 10750, 11250, Universal, or enter a number manually. Of the presets, only 'Universal' seems to work.

One final question, how easy is it to change to a universal LNB and what tools will I need.

Thanks again.

You would have to enter the number manually. That is 10000. Then do a rescan.

When/If you get a new LNB, you would change it back to Universal, the already scanned in channels would still be correct.

sat-newbie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta
Sky+
My Location
Manchester
Thanks again for the advice. Setting the LNB to 10000 and re-scanning did the trick.

However, I do intend to buy a universal LNB.

I've been looking on Ebay and there seem to be loads of bargain LNBs but many don't explicitly specify 'universal', eg....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WNC-SINGLE-DIGITAL-LNB-WITH-SPARE-CLIPS_W0QQitemZ150217429910QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-THOMSON-DIGITAL-LNB-WITH-SPARE-CLIPS_W0QQitemZ150217430550QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it safe to assume most LNB's are universal these days?

Also, some LNB's quote a noise figure. One I was looking at specified 0.6dB. What is a good/bad noise figure?

And my final question, there are lots LNB's on Ebay "suitable for Sky Digital". Are these suitable for my needs? Thanks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Is the dish elliptical i.e wider than it is taller?

Or is it more of a round shape?

The Sky digital LNBs are specifically for Sky minidishes, which are elliptical.

You want a standard 40mm neck LNB I believe (check the mount).

Yes most are universal. I find my Inverto Silvertech 0.2dB works pretty well, slightly better than the other two I have.

The lower the noise figure the better, but the figure can't really be relied on anyway.

The Sky minidish LNBs I think are generally 0.6dB.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
sat-newbie said:
Thanks again for the advice. Setting the LNB to 10000 and re-scanning did the trick.

Good stuff - although be advised you will be missing all the channels in the top half of the band. The cutoff will be somewhere between 11700 & 12000MHz