Newbie looking for lots of info :D

Scotty306

Reaction score
I've only just discovered that DVB-S cards exist and so I'm full of questions !!

From what I can tell the SkyStar2 is a good, cheap, propular card with a lot of support / software?

If i take a feed from my quad LNB to a DVB-S card in a PC what will i be able so recieve?
(I'm assuming just the same channels as on freesat)

What is involved in decoding the encripted channels?
(i'm assuming that's what you're refering to with Keys & Hex files?)

Windows Media Centre looks like a good way to manage Media & PVR functions, can I install a DVB-S into a PC runing Media Centre?

I haven't yet found any other good sites with info on satellite PC cards, so some links would be great.

Thanks,
Scott.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can watch the free to air (unencoded) channels. You CANNOT decrypt the pay tv channels with anything apart from a Sky Digibox. This includes the ITV1 / 2 / C4 / C5 stuff as they are currently encoded using Videoguard

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thats correct for a dish pointing at 28.2E.

Now, if you were to have a second dish.... :)

Scotty306

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Now, if you were to have a second dish.... :)
i was considering a 2nd LNB pointing at 19.2, what would that get me?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Currently quite a lot - :D

but the longer you leave it the more chance of encryptions being changed by the provider and then a (possibly) longish wait until someone comes up with a fix again. Having said that there is nearly always something that you can open if you look hard enough, you may have to move that second dish about a bit though.

L.

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP Professional, Skystar 2, TM5200D+ Super, 1m motorised dish [62E-58W]
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
If I could only have 1 dish, I'd personally plump for one pointing at 13E rather than 19.2E - seems to be a lot more there both FTA and uhm available if you see what I mean. Or, even better, get a Monobloc or two LNBs and a holder and leave yourself open to channels from both positions :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
farr said:
If I could only have 1 dish, I'd personally plump for one pointing at 13E rather than 19.2E - seems to be a lot more there both FTA and uhm available if you see what I mean. Or, even better, get a Monobloc or two LNBs and a holder and leave yourself open to channels from both positions :)

I would agree with you there farr but of course it depends entirely on what alternative languages if any you can accept and understand. For me 13E is Ok as I understand a fair amount of French and Hebrew and a bit of German and a smattering of Arabic phrases. As always it is horses for courses and cost has to come into the equation as well when considering teh uhm part of the equation

Old Geezer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox V8S & TM5200D PVR Systems
My Location
Deepest South Wales
Hi Scotty306,
Seems like You've had a few replies about which to stick Your dish (careful now !!) , so thought I'd answer the question about the W*ndows Media Centre.
I installed it at one time on my PC to get a HTPC (Home Theatre PC) set up working , but found that it was primarily aimed at the DVB-T cards , which receive terrestrial signals as opposed to DVB-S cards (which we all know and love on this forum).
You can use the W*ndows website and check for compatability of various cards , but if I remember correctly they were all DVB-T.
There are other companies developing software for HTPC , but no-one that I know has managed to integrate a DVB-S card and get it fully working , although I would stand to be corrected (and educated as well).
Try a search on the net for HTPC , and see what choices You get,
Enjoy yourself,
Cheers All,
Old Geezer.