Newbie question. 38v motorised dish, Dreambox DM500s. Needs V-Box2 to drive motor?

rayborone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m motorised dish + sky dish

Sky box + Dreambox DM500s
My Location
Hertfordshire
Hi,

Just moved into a house that has a large satellite dish on the roof. It has 2 wires coming from it, a co-axial cable and a power cord with 4 cores.

Am i correct in assuming this would be a 38v motorised setup?

I've just purchased a Dreambox DM500s but have noticed there are no outputs to power the dish. From reading around i believe i need to buy a V-box 2 to convert the signal from Dreambox to drive this dish, is this correct?

The previous occupants were a Nigerean family incase that helps shed any light on what type of dish setup it might be. Sorry for the lack of detail but i've never looked into Satellites before and there is no logo on the dish itself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
It sounds like a 36v motor, and yes you need a V Box to convert the Disecq commands from your receiver.
You can test the motor by using a battery, I used the one from my home security alarm box to test a 36v motor.
Unfortunately you might need to get someone to check how the wires are connected, to the motor, to get it working correctly, as you can generally connect them in any order, usually the two thicker wires are for the power supply, usually red and black.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Any chance of Posting a piccy or six?

rayborone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m motorised dish + sky dish

Sky box + Dreambox DM500s
My Location
Hertfordshire
Thanks for quick replies.
D'oh! I meant to write 36v not 38v, but it's reassuring to know i'm on the right lines.

I'll take some photo's over the weekend and post them up in case anyone can identify the dish. But in the meantime i'll order a V-box.

Thanks again.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Might be worth inspecting the condition of the motor before firing it up. If not used for some time, it's not uncommon for linear actuators to seize up.