Newbie question again [yawn]

Joostan

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, 50" Plasma, HD Projector, Quad feed LNB, DiSEqC 1.2 Motor, 1m Dish, PHOENIX APOLLO CI+MC (Flashed to OpenBOX)
big PC (DVB World DVB-S2 USB), Elvis Programmer
My Location
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
Hey guys, just thought I would post and say hi plus ask you 2 simple questions (for you lot that is).

Back in the 80's I had a great Uniden reciever with positioner on a 2m dish with a tripple band LNB and 36V actuator arm. Foolish me got rid of it when under the influence of a woman. Any hoo. I am now wanting to get back into this and have bought the following items for me new starter kit (PC already here!).

Metronic DiSEqC 1.2 motor
65cm Fortec Star Dish (Will upgrade to 1m+ later in the year)
Sky Phillips Quad LNB (ex SKY+)
Kworld DVB-S 100 PCI card
AMD 64 x2 3800
1GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800GTS 640MB DX10
1TB Storage SATA
Plus I am waiting on a PHOENIX APOLLO CI+MC

This is what I want to do.

Control the motor and 1 LNB feed with the apollo and use ProgDVB on a different feed directly into the LNB for capturing. Can you see any problems with this setup and do you think the free HD channels will record OK on me PC?

Thanks and advance

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Joostan said:
Hey guys, just thought I would post and say hi plus ask you 2 simple questions (for you lot that is).

Back in the 80's I had a great Uniden reciever with positioner on a 2m dish with a tripple band LNB and 36V actuator arm. Foolish me got rid of it when under the influence of a woman. Any hoo. I am now wanting to get back into this and have bought the following items for me new starter kit (PC already here!).

Metronic DiSEqC 1.2 motor
65cm Fortec Star Dish (Will upgrade to 1m+ later in the year)
Sky Phillips Quad LNB (ex SKY+)
Kworld DVB-S 100 PCI card
AMD 64 x2 3800
1GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800GTS 640MB DX10
1TB Storage SATA
Plus I am waiting on a PHOENIX APOLLO CI+MC

This is what I want to do.

Control the motor and 1 LNB feed with the apollo and use ProgDVB on a different feed directly into the LNB for capturing. Can you see any problems with this setup and do you think the free HD channels will record OK on me PC?

Thanks and advance

Don't use a minidish LNB on a round LNB (and vice-versa), as the feedhorn in these LNBs are oval shaped to match the shape of a minidish and will not "see" the full surface of the dish... :)

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
You have a fine system, you shouldn't have any problems. But if you feel that the HD channels are consuming too many cpu cycles while you are doing your spreadsheets, surfing those naughty sites full of flash and video :p, you can either overclock your cpu or upgrade to a faster one. You should be ok.

Joostan

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, 50" Plasma, HD Projector, Quad feed LNB, DiSEqC 1.2 Motor, 1m Dish, PHOENIX APOLLO CI+MC (Flashed to OpenBOX)
big PC (DVB World DVB-S2 USB), Elvis Programmer
My Location
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
Thanks for the advice and comments guys.

I've finally got this baby up and running. I've even used the f output on the Phoenix receiver to feed me DVB-S card so now I can record a channel via ProgDVB while watching another one. I've even found the 'Hidden extra menu' on the Apollo. Just need to blow the dust off me Elvis programmer and find the power supply for it (put it somewhere safe :-doh!).