Newbie question - Buying satellite, need help

Messages
4
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
PACE MSS 300
My Location
Herefordshire, UK
#1
Hi All
I would like to install satellite at home as currently I am able to watch on my TV only BBC 1&2 and ITV1. I would like to view a bit more free english or polish channels (eg. english: ITV2, ITV3, CHANNEL 4, 5 etc.., polish: TVN, POLSAT1 or 2, TV POLONIA etc.., thus I decided to buy satellite receiver.

At the moment I do not want to pay for any channels but soon I would like to be able to watch also channels like Animal Planet or Discovery that I will pay for.

Now my questions:

1. To be honest I dont even know how many types of satellite receivers there exist. Can you tell me how many different types are there? like analogue, digital or sky digital, any other (please correct me if I am wrong). Whats teh latest technology?

2. Is digital receiver same thing as Sky Digital receiver or they are 2 different things? if so whats the difference?

3. Can digital or Sky Digital satellite receive same channels as analogue one + many more?. Is there any big difference between these 2 or 3 satellites (analogue/digital/Sky digital)?

4. Can any of the digital satellite receivers be set to receive channels from any of the satellites in Geostationary Orbit (eg. Astra, Hot bird etc..) or I need to buy a specific satellite receiver for a specific satellite in orbit? or it all depends on the type of dish?

5. What satellite receiver should I buy? Should I bother with analogue one if digital is already so cheap to buy? Is there any advantage of analogue one or I should just forget about analogue and get myself a digital one?

6. Buying sky digital receiver on Ebay... should it be with a card or it doesnt matter if I want for now just free channels? Will I be able to buy the SKY card later to watch other "pay" channles?


Please let me know if you know the answer for any of my questions. Thank you in advance.
 

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Messages
21,554
Likes
3,244
My Satellite Setup
IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.20 Galaxy II
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 25 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
#2
robert_s said:
1. To be honest I dont even know how many types of satellite receivers there exist. Can you tell me how many different types are there? like analogue, digital or sky digital, any other (please correct me if I am wrong). Whats the latest technology?.
Types, well thousands of brands clones rebadges etc too many from too many different countries. Basically there is analogue and digital
robert_s said:
2. Is digital receiver same thing as Sky Digital receiver or they are 2 different things? if so whats the difference?.
No Sky digital receivers have limitations regarding SR 22000, 27500 whereas standard digital stb's have unlimited permuations of SR
robert_s said:
3. Can digital or Sky Digital satellite receive same channels as analogue one + many more?. Is there any big difference between these 2 or 3 satellites (analogue/digital/Sky digital)?
.
There are only two flavours digital and analogue. Analogue is like terrastrial being phased out. Sky digital is only unique in so far as the encryption sytem is secure and even FTV channels need a card to view.
robert_s said:
4. Can any of the digital satellite receivers be set to receive channels from any of the satellites in Geostationary Orbit (eg. Astra, Hot bird etc..) or I need to buy a specific satellite receiver for a specific satellite in orbit? or it all depends on the type of dish?
.
A non Sky satellite digital receiver will recieve any digital signals from any satellite on the Clarke curve provided that the lnb is good enough and the dish size is sufficient and the receiver tuner is good enough to translate the signal received into a coherent visual and audio experience. This is dependant on the aforementioned equipment and the the transmited footprint of the transponder.
robert_s said:
5. What satellite receiver should I buy? Should I bother with analogue one if digital is already so cheap to buy? Is there any advantage of analogue one or I should just forget about analogue and get myself a digital one?
.
Forget analogue buy a digital receiver, I would recommend a technomate 1500 CI which has a cam slot and is flashable, there is a lot of information on the site just do a search for technomate 1500 CI
robert_s said:
6. Buying sky digital receiver on Ebay... should it be with a card or it doesnt matter if I want for now just free channels? Will I be able to buy the SKY card later to watch other "pay" channles?
.
Yes you will be able to buy the card but buying a Sky receiver from Ebay carries certain risks unless you are clued up on Ebay and satellite receivers
robert_s said:
Please let me know if you know the answer for any of my questions. Thank you in advance.
Hopefully I just have
 
Messages
4
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
PACE MSS 300
My Location
Herefordshire, UK
#3
Thank you for your answers toppervte33h.
Question regarding your answer for my question no 5 in my previous post.

1.You recommend buying technomate 1500 CI digital receiver which is not a SKY receiver (is it?). Now will I be able to watch SKY channels if I wish with this receiver?

2. I am not sure if I understand the difference between digital receiver or SKY digital receiver.
Sky Digital receiver is just an ordinary digital receiver but is locked to any other non-SKY channels. I mean it only accepts SKY channels. (like T-MOBILE phone wont be able to accept Orange or Vodafone network to force customers to stay with T-mobile. Is it correct comparison?) and normal digital receiver (Non-SKY) like you recommended technomate is not associated with any network (free from any limits) and is able to pickup any channel from any satellite including SKY channels (If I purchase SKY card?) Is it correct?

3. Last Question :) If I buy the Technomate TM1500 CI or any newer model (if exists) or any other make, will I be able to watch those free UK channels (Channel 4,5 etc..) or I will have to buy a card. if so what card is it? I guess this model is a multi-card reader.

Thank you.
 

maniacop32

satmaniac ,DIY man
Messages
79
Likes
3
#4
get your self a dreambox which can play any card.even a sky freesat card with itv s channel 4 five.install a 1 meter dish with two lnb for 13e hotbird and 28e astra.
 

Rob

Regular Member
Messages
1,397
Likes
3
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
#5
The Dreambox is fine as long as you know what your doing, but for someone who knows nothing about sats don't touch it.
Stick with the Technomate 1500, it's a lot easier to use.
 

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Messages
21,554
Likes
3,244
My Satellite Setup
IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.20 Galaxy II
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 25 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
#6
robert_s said:
1.You recommend buying technomate 1500 CI digital receiver which is not a SKY receiver (is it?). Now will I be able to watch SKY channels if I wish with this receiver?.
FTA ones like the BBC yes and all the others but not ITV ATM.
robert_s said:
2. I am not sure if I understand the difference between digital receiver or SKY digital receiver.
Sky Digital receiver is just an ordinary digital receiver but is locked to any other non-SKY channels. I mean it only accepts SKY channels. (like T-MOBILE phone wont be able to accept Orange or Vodafone network to force customers to stay with T-mobile. Is it correct comparison?) and normal digital receiver (Non-SKY) like you recommended technomate is not associated with any network (free from any limits) and is able to pickup any channel from any satellite including SKY channels (If I purchase SKY card?) Is it correct??.
It will receive any FTA satellite signals that are broadcast within certain parameters the SR being one of them as I mentioned previously, but essentially yes it is a closed shop. It will also receive many other channels and if patched will devrypt them accordingly. No the Technomate will not receive sky channels it has no NDS decoder built in. If you want sky you need a SKY recorder essentially unless you are into Dreamboxes. I would and do personally have one dedicated to SKY and the dish does not move and one for multisat where the dish does.
robert_s said:
3. Last Question :) If I buy the Technomate TM1500 CI or any newer model (if exists) or any other make, will I be able to watch those free UK channels (Channel 4,5 etc..) or I will have to buy a card. if so what card is it? I guess this model is a multi-card reader..
For FTA channels no card is required here is a list of channels available FTA you are looking at Astra 2b AND Eurobird 1 at 28.2 degrees East
 
Top