Newbie sat. setup problems (middle of tower block, long post sorry)

BX19RD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No sat yet, Core 2 Duo laptop.
My Location
Birmingham, UK
Hi, I have been thinking for some time of playing with a dish, however where I live kinda puts a problem on things. On my side of the block we have no Sky services so no 28.2E or any other sat. (13E,19E) for that matter :(

So I was thinking about trying to pick up 0.8W or 1W, now this is where the problems start, I have been thru LyngSat and checked foot prints, dishs sizes then I went and checked on DishPointer to see if I could and check some other details and hopefully gain more info.

Now this is where the problem starts I am in the middle flat on the 14th floor, so I have to have a dish stick slightly out (I checked this with council and our concierge and well no one cares and im ok) however when I looked closely on where my flat is in realtion to the line I need for the sat I think I may still be out and unable to get 0.8/1W

Before I was going to blow money on a proper receiver and dish I was going to get one of them chepo FTA kits (local shop has 60CM dish and some kind of generic box for £40 on offer) just to see if I can get SOMETHING but being a noob im not sure if that dish would be big enough anyhow :p

I have taken a screenshot of the rough location of my flat (from DishPointer) and attached its slighty misleading the gap between the blocks is actually quite huge, the picture looks kinda warped :p

Attachments

• satprob.jpg
    satprob.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 43

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Chuck the concierge a twenty and fit one on the roof, any direction possible, you will need 1mtr dish for 1west

regards dave

BX19RD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birmingham, UK
4dbennett said:
Chuck the concierge a twenty and fit one on the roof, any direction possible, you will need 1mtr dish for 1west

regards dave

I'm very in with them so we thought about that (I actually have the keys to roof, cable cupboards etc) , but then how we get the wire down here was our thoughts. In the other block a flat on 1 side where theres no Sky had a dish fitted on the side that could and somehow threw the wire over and around 2 flats it just kind blows about in the wind (16th floor) so no idea how they did that.

Only other issue with the roof is now and again OFCOM I think it is turn up to check for pirate radio station gear which we have a problem with round here.

G

BX19RD said:
I'm very in with them so we thought about that (I actually have the keys to roof, cable cupboards etc) , but then how we get the wire down here was our thoughts. In the other block a flat on 1 side where theres no Sky had a dish fitted on the side that could and somehow threw the wire over and around 2 flats it just kind blows about in the wind (16th floor) so no idea how they did that.

Only other issue with the roof is now and again OFCOM I think it is turn up to check for pirate radio station gear which we have a problem with round here.

Well whatever one thinks about Ofcom , I suspect their techies can tell the difference between Antennae for tx Pirate Radio and Dishes for Satellite reception - and even if they can't, they should enquire before "dismantling" :-rofl2

BX19RD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birmingham, UK
rai uno said:
Well whatever one thinks about Ofcom , I suspect their techies can tell the difference between Antennae for tx Pirate Radio and Dishes for Satellite reception - and even if they can't, they should enquire before "dismantling" :-rofl2

True :)
Although we could get away with that, I don't think we would if anyone higher up the councils chain of command would let us if they found out. Mind you if some people knew where there money was going where the councils concerned I dont think they would pay it ;) the amount of stuff that vanishes is unreal and workers using the council vans to deliver the council fence panels that they stole and sold on eBay is another matter....

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Don,t tell the council !, fix dish, secure cable " up top" do a tidy run to your side drop cable to your window pull taught and secure, or find alternative route to your floor, vent duct,cable duct, must be something available, the ofcom guys won,t bother with a dish,

regards DAVE

BX19RD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birmingham, UK
I don't think the roof plan would work because our roof is not open its just like a floor of the block but all in 1 (Ie it has the sides all around) theres some structures up there I'll go up there tommorow and see whats about proper.

You can make out the walls in the pic in I posted.

Not looking good so far is it :p

inhouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star beta - motorised 85cm
My Location
berkshire england
BX19RD said:
I don't think the roof plan would work because our roof is not open its just like a floor of the block but all in 1 (Ie it has the sides all around) theres some structures up there I'll go up there tommorow and see whats about proper.

You can make out the walls in the pic in I posted.

Not looking good so far is it :p

The roof has walls around it, but open to the sky?

If so, it looks like it might be possible to mount a dish on the inside of the roof wall on your side of the block and point it towards 28.2E The cable can be secured and dropped down the outside to your apartment.

Attachments

• poss-sol1.jpg
    poss-sol1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 20

BX19RD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birmingham, UK
inhouse said:
The roof has walls around it, but open to the sky?

If so, it looks like it might be possible to mount a dish on the inside of the roof wall on your side of the block and point it towards 28.2E The cable can be secured and dropped down the outside to your apartment.

Thats correct :)

Although there are a few little structures up there (shed, water tank, lift mechanicals) but thats excellent thinking :p :-worship

inhouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star beta - motorised 85cm
My Location
berkshire england
BX19RD said:
Thats correct :)

I've now attached an image to my previous post. Provided that structure under the line is less than 2.8m higher than the bottom of the dish, you should have clear line of sight.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think they'd like anything attached to the outside protective walls (not on a 16 storey building), but will probably be fine with the tank room walls.

BX19RD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birmingham, UK
All good ideas, but I can see various none dish problems cropping up here in the future :(

Shame the FreeView picture is so poor up here, our RF loop socket thingy on the wall don't even work because of a break lower down the block they can't seem to find, and we cant have cable because they demanded £150 to pay the last tenants bill.

Might just have to move house, I did enjoy the analogue in my old flat off 19.2E EuroSport, ZDF and numerous other German stuff :(

Lets be honest I think FreeView is poor and well cable sucks I want to see whats out there, but it dont look good. I'll go down the office Monday and rant about me human rights and all that see how that goes :D