Newbie Satellite Set Up: LNBs or Motorised

fish supper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie, intending to set up a non-Sky satellite system - Mac Pro
My Location
london
Hello,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me.

I'm planning to install a non-Sky satellite system. Having talked to a few installers, they've all come out strongly against a motorised system,arguing that there are always problems with motorised systems, and that they aren't worth the hassle.

So, how should I proceed? I Intend to pick up Astra 28. for UK fta, and 19. and Hotbird 13. for European stations. I could have 3 LNBs, but, would it not be easier, and more functional to have a motorised set up? I'm planning on a basic Technomate receiver, possibly a 5400. I'm waiting to see what the BBC Freesat offering is going to be like. Other equipment: hopefully a Triax 90cm dish, either a Technomate2200 or Mototeck motor - anything important I've missed out here? Oh yes, it'll be 4 stories up, south facing, with scaffolding currently in place for ease of access.

If there are any installers based in south London reading this, then please feel free to email me. Installer recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
A motorised system is much more flexible and will give you a wider choice of satellites obviously.

As a DIY install, near the ground I would recommend it over a fixed dish installation any day.

But 4 storeys up, I don't know. I wouldn't for my own use that's for sure, as it would be hassle to make any adjustments at that height.

Maybe one of the Wave Frontier multiLNB dishes would be an option. There will always be less to go wrong on a fixed rather than motorised dish setup.

Robbo:)