Newbie...Smartcards/Programmers

dave shearer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
kent
:) New to all this. Need info regarding smartcards, funcards are mentioned a lot in various posts, but there are many more, why that one?? Which programmer?? the elvis seems prefered, but appears to come "uncased", is it liable to damage from handling?? Is the Infinity USB suitable with any smartcard?? Can somebody clarify the issue of magic modules, does it cater for all CAMS or does it req programming as reqd??
Am using echostar 808 with embedded viaaccess and 2 CI slots....
Also directions to HEX code plse. Can anyone help re the above

Dave

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Dave, the answer to which programmer is always going to be subjective, my Elvis has been kicked around the room for a couple of years and seems to have survived, despite the lack of case, but certainly the Infinity would appear to be gaining in popularity, with constant software updates to cater for the latest cards.

2old has answered the card question in another thread, so i won't add to that, but the magic module will emulate most single encryption CAMs. You 808 should be able to handle multiple encryptions using and irdeto CAM and a funcard.

See Nobbly's Big Link List for file sites, Phill's is a good safe site, no dialers etc.

dave shearer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
kent
:) Thanks for the response Rolfw....
As far as programmers go, i was dubious about the uncased elvis from the static/handling point of view, maybe its down to being careful??
When you say the 808 can handle multiple encryptions using an irdeto CAM, are you saying i will need to reflash (i think thats the correct term) it to achieve this.?? Would this approach negate the need for the magic module. Sorry about all the questions, but this is all a potential nightmare isnt it. Have found searching around this board very helpful so far tho.........thanks again....

Dave....

ps...its good fun tho isnt it

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi Dave
Just to add to what Rolf said about the Elvis. I have also used one for a long time and it has never failed. I haven't found the lack of casing to be a problem but it would be easy to keep it in a some sort of box with a slot I would have thought. The other main difference is, or course, that the Elvis uses a serial connection to the PC whereas the Infinity, by virtue of its name, uses USB.

dave shearer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
kent
:) thanks jimbo....sadly still confused. Can anyone clarify the issue of magic modules/CAMS. Was considering the MM on the grounds it either copes with most encryption as it stands or can be re-prog'd?? Is this correct? Refering to rolfw's reference to an irdeto CAM and multiple encryption, is this instead of the MM or is it reqd as well. Again, sorry for questions u all probably know the answers to. Could rolfw clarify the original response to my question, or anyone who can help....

thanks, Dave....

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
dave shearer said:
:) thanks jimbo....sadly still confused. Can anyone clarify the issue of magic modules/CAMS. Was considering the MM on the grounds it either copes with most encryption as it stands or can be re-prog'd?? Is this correct? Refering to rolfw's reference to an irdeto CAM and multiple encryption, is this instead of the MM or is it reqd as well. Again, sorry for questions u all probably know the answers to. Could rolfw clarify the original response to my question, or anyone who can help....

thanks, Dave....

Do programmed fun cards work with a box that only has embedded viaccess?.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depends on the box, do you mean an 808 Echostar?

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
rolfw said:
Depends on the box, do you mean an 808 Echostar?

No i have a Humax VA-Fox, and am using an official Viaccess 2 card, i assume it is anyway as its an SCT card issued in the last 6 months.

What other encryption methods should i be looking to (ahem) bring down in order to get adult broadcasts?, can you recommend encrytpion type, channels and the satellites they are on, if you know of any??.

Ta Rolf

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
TVDX said:
No i have a Humax VA-Fox, and am using an official Viaccess 2 card, i assume it is anyway as its an SCT card issued in the last 6 months.

What other encryption methods should i be looking to (ahem) bring down in order to get adult broadcasts?, can you recommend encrytpion type, channels and the satellites they are on, if you know of any??.

Ta Rolf

Plus, can i use a programmer without a cam?, both to program and to put in this embedded box?.