newcamd - NoCanDo - Help!

jastewart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020S w HD, Motorised, WinXP, ethernet
My Location
Lothian
I have a new 7020 and no previous exeperiences of CAMs and the like. I can receive all normal channels like BBC (all regions) etc. - except of course Channel 4 and "five". I have a £20 Sky card, but do not have a Sky box. I have downloaded Gemini via FlashWizardPro and have attempted to get newcamd to un-scramble Chs. 4 and 5 with no luck.

There are so many variables!!!!

- Is newcamd betad 6.1 ok? - if not, which?
- is the "complete" download complete, as I can see no way to download any "keys" I might need - where would I get these keys of I need them?
- should I download from the PC instead and just FTP things over to the DB?
- just where DO the various files go? e.g. betad.cfg, cardserv.cfg (both/neither required???)
- what is the necessary and sufficient file list for successful de-scrambling
- where does cardserver0961 come in?
- are the file extensions relevant (many posts refer to the file by its name only, yet downloads have extensions (like "ppc" which I assume is for the 7020)
- posts refer to the "BOXID". I have no Sky box per se, but do have a card with a 9-digit number - is this what is needed here? - or is it for the s/n of a Sky box?
- is newcamd what I need anyway?
- should I be running Enigma or Gemini?

I have looked up the idiot's guide, and believe I have done as it says, but is it still current?

One final question - do I need to have the Sky card activated in any way? (soem posts say yes, others, no). Sky require a version number and serial number (of any Sky box) so that they can press their "activate now" button.
Hopefully activation is all I need for success..., but all up-to-date info gratefully received, and will hopefully help others in a similar state of despair

- PS: for this activation procedure ("over the air"?) I presume the Sky card has to be in situ, but does the image or cam state matter?

TIA

James.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Wow too many questions at once. Try this:
Get yourself a Gemini image, and then download via blue button the latest newcamD 6.10 b complete. Then download from the camconfig Newcamdconfig v6.0x betad. Then go to Satandream forum and download the latest keys to your computer. Unzip and then FTP the files into the folders of thge Dreambox, IE. whatever is in Keys into Var/keys and whatever is in SCCE into Var/SCCE. CHMOD all the fiiles in these two Dreambox folders to 755. Reboot Dreambox. Then fit in card and put on a station such as sky news. Leave the card inside with the receiver on overnight. With a bit of luck it should work. Normally, the freeview card does not need the boxid to be entered.

jastewart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lothian
Thanks for your reply, T_G, I have done as you said; the Satandream site had a file called Keylist__NewCamD__Latest_Sept08th.zip containing a file called "keylist" which I put in var/keys (it is the only file there). I copied scce/*.* from the newcamd download on my PC to var/scce. This dir has files like nagraram and another keylist file. chmod all to 755. After a re-boot to Gemini, selecting Channel 4 (in UK) still shows that the signal can not be descrambled, but, as you advised, I will leave the box on overnight and see what happens! (What magic does happen?!). What about Sky's "activation" process??

Will report back,

James.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Everything you are looking to do James is in the dreambox section. Newcamd a sky cards etc. You should spend some weeks doing it...yes weeks as it took me and others many sleepless nights tring to get this lovely machine working. You simply could not put in words how to do it in a few lines. Start with loading your image with flash wizzard pro beta 3 for 7020. Then set up your communications panel so that you dreambox can interact with the internet. Download cams via the blue button & also cam config, then put in dreambox settings list via Flash wizzard, then get a set of keys fron the usual places and ftp them across to the dreambox to folders var/keys & scce.
Come back then if you need help.

jastewart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lothian
Weeks!?

I suppose there is only one way to get up the learning curve: slog.

Perhaps someone could tell me if the £20 Sky card DOES need to be activated or not - all my efforts will be useless if the card does not do its bit.

Also, is that "BOXID" the Sky card number or the s/n of a Sky box? I'm sure I read somewhere that this was for the Dreambox s/n! (surely not?)

T_G: still no joy, but card still not activated, so...

Thanks

James.

jastewart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lothian
Having spent half the evening browsing posts, I reckon I have to get a cheap digibox simply in order to activate the blessed £20 Sky card. I had though of using a friend's box, but I fear that his box thereafter be married to MY card with all attendant problems there...

So, over to eBay.

Can I assume that any simple digibox (Amstrad, Pace, Thomson et al) would do? (I see ones for c. £30)

Thanks

James.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You could ask a friend or neighbour to activate it in their box for you? And save your £30...

jastewart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lothian
mhku said:
You could ask a friend or neighbour to activate it in their box for you? And save your £30...

Would that not downgrade their Sky status by marrying up my card with their box so that their own (all sports and films) card might not work any more - ceratinly don't want to risk that! Also, I assume my lowly card might have to stay in their box for some 12hrs or so...