no audio on hdmi

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
Hi,
Have the Vu+ Duo for a week now. Took an hour to set it up and all was great. Perfect audio and video, twin tuner perfect, all looking good. Then two days ago I turn the TV on and have HD picture but no audio. I assumed it must be a setting but couldn't find it. So I reflashed from scratch. still no audio. so i put a scart from duo to back of tv and at least i now have audio. i changed the hdmi cable but still no joy. it really looks like this is a problem with the duo. any ideas would be appreciated

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Could the problem equally well be with the TV as the Duo? (From the info given)

ie have you proved the TV/HDMI combo using some other external device?

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
spot on, checked the ps3 and i have no audio or video. suspect the tv is at fault. thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good stuff ............... let's just hope either a TV setting change (but what?) or a factory reset (if possible) sorts it out.

I'm assuming it's only got one HDMI socket?

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
3 hdmi's, none working. did a software update of the tv with no luck. get a slight crackly sound on the hdmi port so i do think its a problem with the hdmi interface card on the tv itself

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Oh dear.

Let's hope it's only a coincidence that the fault has occurred during the time since the Duo has been in use.

Can't think of any foreseeable failure mode that would cause something like the Duo (or any connected equipment) to output any nasties that could b*gger the TV's interface.

Is the TV under Warranty?

If not, can you open her up and see if there's a partially unseated internal cable loom connector etc.?

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
no worries, tv still under warranty, will bring it back to shop this week. thanks for the help and will let you know how things pan out

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok.

I'm sure it'll pan out fine.

Glad it isn't the Duo!

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
me too. big decision to buy a quality box. played with dm800 clone for years. this vu+ is just sweet. not as nice looking as the dreambox, but better in EVERY other way

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
tivu, thanks for the help. it was a tv fault. sent it in for repair and all now good. i just picked on the vuduo as it was new in the setup. very good advice. appreciated

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You are very welcome ................ the main thing is that all is now well and I assume you are a happy bunny!

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
was a happy bunny tivu, not any more. system is back with no audio again. so what did i do. well last night, for the first time since i got the tv back, i set up a cron task to reboot the system. when i turned the tv on today it was back to no sound. so i'm convinced there is an incompatibility betweeb the hdmi drivers of the dream elite system and the actual tv i have. worse again the hdmi drivers, I WOULD GUESS, are the same across all images so it wouldn't matter what image i use. now i did reflash dreamelite and the tv software myself at the time to see if this would solve the problem but it didn't. do you have any alternatives as to what i might do. i'm convinced that the tv is in a freaked out state and no amount of changing of vu+ duo images is going to help

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Oh dear.

That's a very unfortunate state of affairs and I can't offer you any suggestions as to how to resolve it, sadly.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
fintannl said:
system is back with no audio again. so what did i do. well last night, for the first time since i got the tv back, i set up a cron task to reboot the system. when i turned the tv on today it was back to no sound.
Most likely thing is the fault with the tv was not cured so has reappeared. Going back through the thread you said there was a crackling noise on the audio. That sounds like a hardware fault to me, not a driver incompatibility.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
all the guys did in the repair shop was upgrade the tv software to a new level. sadly that level of software is licensed and they refuse to give it out. i know that audio and picture work over scart so the tv sound system is not at fault. the issue is hdmi. i'm wondering if the linux kernel hdmi drivers are not fully hdmi compatible. i put the original sly box back into the hdmi port. still just a short crackling sound then nothing. so i have no doubt that if i flashed my vu+ with any image i'm still going to have the problem with the tv. love if there was a proper factory reset for the tv as i know that would solve the problem (for a little while anyway)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
fintannl said:
i put the original sly box back into the hdmi port. still just a short crackling sound then nothing.
Two different receivers with the same problem on the TV?

Sounds like the TV is still faulty to me.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
fintannl said:
i'm wondering if the linux kernel hdmi drivers are not fully hdmi compatible.
Well it's not like one device sends software to the other over HDMI. It's just a protocol to send uncompressed video, differential signals and control signals, and none of that would ever be written to the tv's firmware. At the worst if there was an incompatibility the processor in the tv might lock up and need a reboot. It wouldn't stop devices subsequently connected to the tv from working.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
guys, thanks for the help. the repair centre gave me a link to a different software upgrade for the tv. once i installed this all came back again. but it is a puzzling issue and i suspect in some way related to some incompatibility between the vu+ boot sequence and what the tv expects. weird. at least i have a fix, though it does look like a lot of software updates for my tv over its coming years

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Fingers crossed your problem is permanently solved.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
finally understand what i was doing wrong. i wasnt a problem with he image. it was my stupidity. having used a dm800 for years i had set the av input to a dvi connection instead of hdmi. no wonder the tv got screwed up. sorry for bothering folks with my own ignorance