No BBC or ITV on 28.2 E

woodhead

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Maplin DIY kit with single LNB and Fortecstar Passion receiver. I have linked to existing TV cable and split 3-ways to the Fortecstar and 2 Grundig SD Freesat receivers, so I can have up to 3 TVs on at once.
My Location
South Yorkshire
I have just bought a Maplin DIY kit with a Fortecstar Passion receiver. I have aligned the dish to 28.2 E and can get channels on higher frequencies, but nothing from Astra 2D. I can get plenty of channels from Eurobird 1 and even BBC Parliament from Astra 2A on 11954 H but absolutely nothing from Astra 2D which is all below 11000 H. The BBC and ITV channels are there on the channel list, and display the right transponder setting when selected, but come up with ‘No Signal’ or, sometimes, ‘No Audio, No Video’. I’ve tried manually changing the transponder setting, to no avail. The box seems to change it automatically to suit the channel selection.

Is the LNB faulty, or am I doing something wrong?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome,

Did you install the dish?
Have you scanned transponders in the lower band or were they already stored?

It's worth noting that LNb settings should be: universal type 9.750/10.600

SM

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also, if it is a Fortecstar LNB, move the skew to about 5 Oclock when looking from behind the LNB to the dish, don't put it where you would expect it to be.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Have a good read of this thread to guide you to success

Brano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2007 - FoneStar Receptor RDTS-680, 180cm Tecatel Fibre Dish Single LNB. 2011 - Humax/Foxsat HDR and Quad LNB added.
My Location
Galicia Northern Spain
Hi,
I have a professionally installed system which was fine until today. Experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you so presume the problem is with Astra and not the installatrion? I can also get BBC Radio 1 through 4 but no others.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Brano

The main difference is that the O/P is located in the UK not Spain. Thus the problems are not necessarily the same indeed unlikely to be so. There is a very dense weather front over the UK at the moment enough to reduce both the uplink and downlink signals to the UK, let alone fringe reception areas like Spain. Astra 2D is on a spot beam over the UK and whilst in perfect conditions you can obviously receive it you will be the first to lose signal with just the slightest amount of attenuation caused by heavy cloud cover.
It could of course be many other problems e.g. damaged cable, faulty lnb dish moved cobweb on or in lnb....

Brano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2007 - FoneStar Receptor RDTS-680, 180cm Tecatel Fibre Dish Single LNB. 2011 - Humax/Foxsat HDR and Quad LNB added.
My Location
Galicia Northern Spain
Thanks Topper,

As you may have gathered I am no expert in this field! Good to posibly know I can use my reception to identiffy weather in UK - watch out Michael Fish.

What I found interesting though is that this is the first time in 8 months of the installation that apart from clearly poor reception due to weather typically causing picture break-down, squeaky sound etc I have absolutely nothing apart from BBC Parliament as far as TV reception is concerned. I have in addition to UK signals lost for example TVEI, TVV Int EuroNews, TV Galicia, Aragon TV, Cuba Vision to mention but a few!! I apreciate that the problem may well be at my end but hope to wake tomorrow able to watch the Olympics! If not I shall contact my local installer. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for your comments. I'm now going to read a book.

Brano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Galicia Northern Spain
Stop Press,

This is rather embarrassing but I just unplugged everything, banged the top of my reciever, plugged it in again and I am know back to normal service!! Strange though that BBC Parliament was OK and a few radio receptions which deflected me from the aforementioned technical solution.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Embarrassing or not it is actually a good lesson for a lot of people to learn, whether dealing with a PC, DVD, PVR, STB indeed anything that handles digital signals and suddenly it starts doing odd things, it is always wise to try switching it off and them back on again first to see if the situation improves.

Glad you are sorted :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Brano said:
Stop Press,

This is rather embarrassing but I just unplugged everything, banged the top of my reciever

Only use a small hammer though. Sledgehammers later if still no luck :-rofl2

woodhead

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Maplin DIY kit with single LNB and Fortecstar Passion receiver. I have linked to existing TV cable and split 3-ways to the Fortecstar and 2 Grundig SD Freesat receivers, so I can have up to 3 TVs on at once.
My Location
South Yorkshire
Thanks, Topper for the link, and thanks RolfW for the advice about skew. I can now get all the channels I want with superb signal quality, apart from BBC News 24, but I think I've heard there's a problem with it.

I will even try moving the dish back down the wall to the first set of holes I drilled where it will be a bit more sheltered from the gale force winds we get up here.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
What frequency is BBC News 24 showing in your Passion's list? It changed TP's some time ago.

If it's 10773H, delete the channel from your list and scan 11954H SR 27500 FEC 2/3 to add it again.

Llew

woodhead

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Yorkshire
Thanks for you advice, Llew. I now have BBC News. (Although the red button doesn't work to delete the original channel, but I suppose we can't have everything).