No channel 5

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi there everyone and happy new year. I have a digibox pace in Rome Italy that i recently moved from Varese i had it connected in Rome and was receiving channel 5 with the card (bought from ebay) in Rome on the astra 2B north beam I had to disconnect the dish for a few weeks to set it up in a permanent location, when i reconnected i no longer have access to five,this happened when i orignally bought the card but then the software updated and i received the channels that were ftv, also i can't seem to receive ch 4 that's on the 2A north beam and easily covers Rome with a 1 M dish lnb 0.3 humax. Any ideas anyone.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This is a common problem when the digibox is off for a few weeks - the card has missed an authorisation update. Leave it in the box for a few hours with the box on, and the channels should come back on.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Analoguesat said:
This is a common problem when the digibox is off for a few weeks - the card has missed an authorisation update. Leave it in the box for a few hours with the box on, and the channels should come back on.

Thanks that's what i think also but i had it on a day and it still has not updated i hope when i get home this evening that it is back worse scenario i will do a manual software upgrade, as regards channel 4 have you any ideas i have changed over from the default transponder 11.778 to 12.051 i might also try adding the transponders in manually.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dbolton said:
Thanks that's what i think also but i had it on a day and it still has not updated i hope when i get home this evening that it is back worse scenario i will do a manual software upgrade, as regards channel 4 have you any ideas i have changed over from the default transponder 11.778 to 12.051 i might also try adding the transponders in manually.

It should pick up the default tp on the south beam if it cant find the main one on the north beam automatically.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Analoguesat said:
It should pick up the default tp on the south beam if it cant find the main one on the north beam automatically.

Hi again and thanks everyone channel five is up and runing but still no channel four, i had already added channel four to my other channels and it is available in the epg but when i try to view it all i get is no satellite signal is been received.

ameolive

Archived Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome ITALY
Hi

I'm living in Rome EUR zone and I can ensure that I can receive both CH4 and Five with a .8 mt dish and standard LNB ( 20 euro ).
The only problem is CH4 that in heavy rain disappears, while Five is always prefectly received.

I have also noticed that there is a striking difference of signal quality
between 2A north ( CH4 only 20% ) and 2B north ( Five an outstanding 70%) .
I cannot explain this difference because , based on the ASTRA website, both beams should have the same footprint in the Roma area.

As far as your problem is concened, taking for granted that your dish is correctly aligned, the only thing that I can reccomend is to check the LNB skewness; this is particularly important for CH4 as a matter of fact when I installed my dish on the balcony two years ago I could notice that by rotating the LNB ( clockwise looking at the dish ) I could have changed even by 20% the signal quality.

I don't know if this can fix your reception problem as the size of your dish is large enough to allow an easy reception of 12.778 ( the CH4 Tpd ) regardless of the LNB orientation.

Finally last night when a switched my box after 10 days (I was just back from England where we spent our Xmas period ) I read a scary message on the screen telling more or less ' that there is a problem with my card, please contact Sky ..' my instinctive reaction to remove the card from the box and then inserted it back was successfull : the message disappeared and I got back my 2 little remaining channels ( sorry but I still I haven't recovered from the shock of the BBC moving to 2D ) .
I just mentioned the above only for your information as I think it has nothing to do with your problem.

Ciao

Ameolive

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi Ameolive

thanks for the advice i have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is the lnb have a look at this http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=471 i will try skewing but the dish it's on the corner of the terrace and i literally have to put a leg over and hang on to the pole to even unscrew the cable i will have to get out my mountain gear for the skewing I live in palombara as you probaly know its 532M above sea level and built on a hill i just so happen to be at the top of the damm hill anyhow thanks once again for the advice i know what you mean about the bbc i was living in varese up until october and i had all the bbc (i look back in fond memory of my daughter singing the theme music to the thimbles and tweenies etc.) i will update you when i find the problem.

Regards

ameolive

Archived Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome ITALY
i was living in varese up until october and i had all the bbc

Hi Dbolton

Do yu mean that in Varese you could receive all the BBC channels using a mere 1.mt dish while here in Rome we cannot receive them even using a monster of 3.0 mt ?

That's just add more to my frustration !

I really hope that someone of BBC read these threads so they can understand how useless was their move to 2D.

Anyway getting back to 28.8 i hope that by now you have already fixed your problem, i'm writing because I just realised now that yesterday I gave you a piece of information not correct : as a matter of fact the Tp for Ch4 is 12.168 and not 12.778 as I erroneously said yesterday.

As for the rest still applies, for your convenience I would have liked to attach a table with the values of signal strenght an quality as recorded from my 0.8 dish when I installed it 2 years ago ( please do not consider the software issue ) .

Regrettably after 5 attemps there was no way to attach my pdf file to this post ( i wonder if there is any problem with the server ) , anyway if you are interested you may always e-mail me to this address :
ameolive*tiscali.it
and I will send it a copy

In principle if you cannot reproduce the same results then it is likely that your dish need some alignments ( orientation, skew ) .

Actually you should get better figures as your dish is larger although the location of Palombara I understand should be slightly worse than Rome ( as a rule of thumb the more east of Rome you go the worse is the reception as demonstrated by some guys in Abruzzi who were not able to receive CH4 even with a 1.5 dish )

In the unlikely case that if you have the same signal results and still cannot watch CH4 there could be either a problem with the software of your box or some more serious hardware problem for which I'm afraid I cannot be of much help.

Best wishes for 2005 and good luck for your installation

:chthumb
Ciao

Ameolive

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
ameolive said:
Hi Dbolton

Do yu mean that in Varese you could receive all the BBC channels using a mere 1.mt dish while here in Rome we cannot receive them even using a monster of 3.0 mt ?

That's just add more to my frustration !

I really hope that someone of BBC read these threads so they can understand how useless was their move to 2D.

Anyway getting back to 28.8 i hope that by now you have already fixed your problem, i'm writing because I just realised now that yesterday I gave you a piece of information not correct : as a matter of fact the Tp for Ch4 is 12.168 and not 12.778 as I erroneously said yesterday.

As for the rest still applies, for your convenience I would have liked to attach a table with the values of signal strenght an quality as recorded from my 0.8 dish when I installed it 2 years ago ( please do not consider the software issue ) .

Regrettably after 5 attemps there was no way to attach my pdf file to this post ( i wonder if there is any problem with the server ) , anyway if you are interested you may always e-mail me to this address :
ameolive*tiscali.it
and I will send it a copy

In principle if you cannot reproduce the same results then it is likely that your dish need some alignments ( orientation, skew ) .

Actually you should get better figures as your dish is larger although the location of Palombara I understand should be slightly worse than Rome ( as a rule of thumb the more east of Rome you go the worse is the reception as demonstrated by some guys in Abruzzi who were not able to receive CH4 even with a 1.5 dish )

In the unlikely case that if you have the same signal results and still cannot watch CH4 there could be either a problem with the software of your box or some more serious hardware problem for which I'm afraid I cannot be of much help.

Best wishes for 2005 and good luck for your installation

:chthumb
Ciao

Ameolive

As I understand it Ch.4 is on 2A North Vertically polarised.
Ch.5 is on 2B North Horiz polarised.
and the footprints are for all intents and purposes the same.
Thus the reception problems reported in this thread (C4 Vs Ch5) are most likely due to LNB problems, either not receiving one polarisation as well as the other, OR not switching polarisation when it should. Skew is critical. If you receive one of those 2 channels OK then you should get them both, using the same set-up (i.e. dish/LNB/digibox).
Geoff

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
geoffreys said:
...and the footprints are for all intents and purposes the same. Thus the reception problems reported in this thread (C4 Vs Ch5) are most likely due to LNB problems,...

Actually while SES claim that the 2A and 2B north beams have the same footprint, they don’t.

A 1.2m dish here gets all transponders on 2A North but looses some on 2B north. Meaning we get Ch4 but loose Ch5 most of the time.

Keep checking your system, especially if you had both channels in a similar location before, but bear in mind that the footprints are different. :)

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi polomint

i accept that but looking at the footprint it easily covers Rome it's not that i can't receive other channels that are 2A the problem is with the transponder 12168 v (all the regional channel 4 are carried on this transponder)that i get no satellite signal is been received. I have also tried this from the installers menu under manual tuning to see if there is a signal of any kind but there's none.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If it is just one transponder from the beam that you are loosing it could be local interference causing it, do you or your neighbours have any DECT cordless phones, wireless PC networks or car radar trap detectors? These are known to cause problems, but I must admit not normally limited to just one transponder.

Other than that is there the possibility that you could try another LNB, or another box on your dish and LNB to see if it is a peculiar fault with one of them?

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
I have another lnb (0.7) that i might try on it but as far as another box is concerned i still get no signal i tried this on my fta box however just to be sure i will try again as the dish wasn't in a fixed position at the time, slighty off the point i am trying to motorise the dish to receive the 13E Hotbird also would it be easier to jsut put a second lnb on the dish as suggested by someone or does that lower the output to the receiver as someone else suggested.

Thanks

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you add a second offset LNB for 13E it won’t use the full area of the dish, so your dish will have to be larger than required to get a good signal. Motorising it solves that problem as the dish would point right at 13E, however motorising big dishes it more difficult and Sky boxes don’t like being away from 28.2 for long.

Probably better to start another thread about this in the dish setup section :)