No satellite signal received message - help!

cool4cats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky box.
My Location
United Kingdom
Please can someone help me!

My Sky box was working perfectly until two days ago when some of the channels started breaking up. Then I couldn't get any channels at all and keep getting the message 'no satellite signal received'.
(I don't subscribe to Sky anymore but just have the free channels)

Since then I have tried a spare sky box my friend had, the same thing happened. I've also tried yet another sky box my parents had but the same message appears.
It seems a bit too much of a coincidence for none of the boxes to be working, so it looks like it could be the satellite dish which is at fault, yet when I linked up a run-of-the mill digital satellite receiver I was able to receive many channels OK.

Please can someone shine some light on what is wrong.

TIA

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well it may be a small misalignment of the dish - the non-Sky box might have a more sensitive tuner hence not being as badly affected.

Other reasons why the available signal would reduce from the norm include dodgy connections, damaged cabling (especially water ingress).

Have you done the tests in reverse ie Taken your Sky box to a friend's dish?

If there have been no gales or builders around in the last two days, I'd go for water ingress into the cable as the prime suspect.

Oh, and it is late Spring, so many trees are coming into leaf ...................... check your line of sight is clear.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, slight misalignment could allow a standard receiver to work yet not a sky digibox. Sky boxes need to see one single transponder first before springing to life.

Also as mentioned, trees into leaf and LOS issues is somethig else to look at given your findings.